Thinking out loud

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Brought home a nice 640# heifer calf on Monday, Tuesday she had some heavy yellow nose mucus. Clean on Tues evening when I was going to give her a load of Nuflor so I held off and decided to keep an eye on her, since then she has only a light discharge yellow/clear. No other signs of distress, eats and hangs with the other heifer that came home with her..got a real nice bred herf heifer too. Went looking for steers.
Think I'll go ahead and stick her in the chute when Susie gets home from shopping with our daughter and give the Nuflor. The temps here are dropping like prom dresses and I may not want to chance it.
Just trying to convince myself of something that I already know I'll do or not do. Modern maturity has it's draw backs, darn I miss the mind the most.
Dave Mc

Since we are just thinking out loud...

I never gave a shot I regretted...I have regretted not giving one a time or two... :(

Hope all turns out well!

Van

I would not administer Nuflor based on nasal discharge alone, it is too common this time of year. Unless this calf also has dull eyes, droopy ears, humped back, not eating, isolating herself, coughing, lethargy, doesn't look right, labored breathing, or some combination of the above, I would leave her alone and keep a close eye on her.

Thanks for the replies. The calf continued to have that "not looking right" appearance and the yellow discharge. Twenty four hours after the Nuflor no discharge and her ears are up and alert, good appetite and chewing cudd. Will continue to watch her closely.
Dave Mc

Latest posts