Thinking of starting a small cattle ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Field

Reaction score
I joined to learn more about cattle. I am thinking of starting out with one or two, then letting it go from there. I am just wondering how to start out. I have land just no barn or fence yet. Is this somthing I can do by my self or would I be over my head?????????

Anyone can work cattle. Most everyone started small.

You will need working pens and facilities, whether start with 1 or 100. The expenses for these things are easier to swallow when you spread them out over a larger number of head.

Figure out all the start up costs. Then figure out how long it will take you to recoup that cost to turn a profit. For my situation I figure 5 years from start to finish if we have no droughts, none of my cows die, and none are open (I know perfect scenerio). I have a lot of help also from an experienced rancher and neighbors/friends that don't mind trading help from time to time. My start up expenses were purchasing the initial cattle, fencing two sides of my property, purchasing 10 cattle panels, and $300 in gas to pick up free squeeze chute plus a promise for some home grown beef in the future. Thats just initial. Then I purchased wormer, vaccines, realized 10 cattle panels wasn't enough and purchased 20 more, a bag of feed per week to keep them tame, hay for the winter, and liquid protein for the winter. I borrow a stock trailer to move them so I don't have that cost. I have access to an old tractor as long as I can keep it running so I don't have that cost either. I don't have a front end loader yet but I'm sure I can pull a favor when I need to move the round bales. One cost I didn't add into this was a $1,300 water tap because I plan on building a house out there one day. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this. The experienced rancher told me not to expect to make any money off of cattle when I purchased my first 2 cow calf pairs (Now I have 5 cows 2 calfs and 5 replacement heifers, just for reference). I thought he was full of it but now I understand what he was telling me. I also didn't have to purchase a bull. I have one on extended free lease from my very generous rancher friend. I've spent about 2/3 of my weekends working and trading favors since I started this adventure the fall of last year. Most of it building fence. If I didn't have my rancher friend to guide me I would be lost. Margins are typically real slim raising cattle. I think 90% of the folks on here will agree with me on this. When it costs more to raise cattle prices go down. When its cheaper to raise cattle prices may go up a bit. I do enjoy it though.

Just the rantings of a new guy

Walt

1st you get all your fences built.an if you dont know how to build fence.see if you can hire some1 to build it.an learn how to build fences from them.then get your corral built.an then you can get a barn going for a windbreak.

Figure out how to spend less than 350 a cow per year. Then figure out how to make more than 700 per cow per year. If you get that done implement your plan and you should break even. If you hold on long enough you will be able to actually make a profit.

Try to find someone close to you that been through the start up bit. It going to be slow and you got to get your fences first, maybe not all your place fenced but enough of it to handle a couple cows. Actually cross fencing is the way to go to get more grass production out of your land in first place.
But once you get a couple cows out there you will be more inclined to finish up the rest of the fencing.
Ask around what you need in way of shelter for the winter, feed requirments etc. then go from there.
Getting started is the hard part, but once you get going the bug will bite you and you be working on it all the time.
Good luck

Make sure you have the grass to support them. Land does not mean good grass or nutritional grazing. Get you fence up and make a catch. Got water?

You can definetly do it by yourself. I started out with 3 cows four years ago, and now have 35. I buy heifers from some relatives in the cow business whenever I have extra money, and keep my own heifer calves. I would suggest NOT buying 1 or 2 cows here & there from the sale barn. Chances are, you'll be getting someone else's problem.
You have got to learn how to build fences. There are always repairs to be made on your fences, plus whatever add ons you will be making.
This is a great site for beginners like you and me. If you have a question, just ask. There are alot of people on this message board that has been there and done that.
Good Luck!!!

How do you project figures for forecasting fence costs?

SkinMan":v4papaj1 said:
You can definetly do it by yourself. I started out with 3 cows four years ago, and now have 35. I buy heifers from some relatives in the cow business whenever I have extra money, and keep my own heifer calves. I would suggest NOT buying 1 or 2 cows here & there from the sale barn. Chances are, you'll be getting someone else's problem.
You have got to learn how to build fences. There are always repairs to be made on your fences, plus whatever add ons you will be making.
This is a great site for beginners like you and me. If you have a question, just ask. There are alot of people on this message board that has been there and done that.
Good Luck!!!

Please build a good catch pen, and somewhat larger than needed for just 2 or 4 cows, because, if you are like most, you will get hooked and have to have more cows, then you will have to add on, or move the whole structure to a different spot to make it big enough for the cattle you end up with. The catch pen is more work and expensive. You don't want to have to do it again. Good luck

tryinhard

I disagree with those that say start with a fence.
Start with with grass and pasture improvement. Without it you have nothing to fence in. While your grass grows or becomes established you will have time to build the fence and get your other infrastructure together. If you choose not to do this at this time, as your cow numbers increase, you will wish you had.
You are in the grass business, cattle convert the grass to dollars.

You can do it, and everyone here will be glad to help. I started out with 4 cows. I have sold 11 this year and still have 26. I'm not trying to get hundreds of cows overnight. Starting small is not the most cost effecient way to do it, but it is probably the best way to learn without getting in over your head.

Good luck!

How do you turn a bad grass pasture into a good one per se?

novatech":dotsifqg said:
Start with with grass and pasture improvement. Without it you have nothing to fence in. While your grass grows or becomes established you will have time to build the fence and get your other infrastructure together. If you choose not to do this at this time, as your cow numbers increase, you will wish you had.

OhioRiver":3ejf3hcp said:

novatech":3ejf3hcp said:

Do you mean converting a poorly productive pasture into a better producing one?

Either reseed without doing any plowing up, or this: Roundup, plow up, disk up, leave for a year, then seed.

Fix yourself a nice pot of hot chocolate settle down at the computer and do a search on the subject....volumes of great information has been posted.
Hint: Knowledge first, then facilities, then the cows.

just my two bits worth....DMc

In Ky what would you reseed with?

IluvABbeef":9vifd3nr said:
OhioRiver":9vifd3nr said:

novatech":9vifd3nr said:

Either reseed without doing any plowing up, or this: Roundup, plow up, disk up, leave for a year, then seed.

OhioRiver":21nj40jq said:
In Ky what would you reseed with?

IluvABbeef":21nj40jq said:
OhioRiver":21nj40jq said:

novatech":21nj40jq said:

Lets see...Orchard grass, Perennial ryegrass, Smooth bromegrass....other fellow kentuckians can give you some others to think about.

In a word yes you can do it. We sterted with 2 show heifers 14 years ago. Now have 26 registered cows. They are profitable enough to send two boys through college and give us some supplemental income.
Keep in mind that this way is a slow building process. I agree with others who have made the following obsvervations.
Good fence, pasture, water source, working pens etc..
Its the hardest job I ever loved.

OhioRiver":3awsuw4b said:

novatech":3awsuw4b said:
I would start with my county agent. Then check with other people in the cattle business in the area. Do a soil test. What you have may be the best just needs some nutrition. Go googling.
Like Susie David said "Knowledge first"

Latest posts