Things I absolutely hate.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Ours was a&p supermarket. We used to "drag" Main Street which ran the length of our little town.
I love going to town every Friday night in my 68 mustang ....took me 2 years to get running!
I was 16 years old.
Everybody would hang out in the parking lots most of just talking, most likely telling lies about how fast their car would go or what girl they got lucky with, some people would be drinking but those sure were the days.
Being on that farm everyday, I couldn't wait to get to town and Chase those good looking Catholic girls!

That reminds me of high school days, there was a Piggly Wiggly grocery store in a shopping center, that parking lot was part of the cruisin round that the kids made back then, they called it cruisin the Pig.

Every where doesn't have Piggly Wiggly Grocery I don't think .... last one around here buret. Which was kind of funny cause it stopped getting much business when other groceries, dollars stores, and super Walmart came in town.

My friends and I was the mall cruisin' queens. Hahaha around and round and round we went. The mall security would set up road barriers thinking people wouldn't cruisin we all take turns jumping out moving them when nobody was looking or cruise on around in around spot. One time I got ban for a month it was so horrible. Hahahahah not just switch vehicles. Keep going hahaha gosh I was a bad kid could been out smoking and shooting dope skis or something real bad instead of hanging at the mall. We knew people that work there we run down the fire escape halls or the halls they used to close up. Bahahahahaha. Silliness.

Every where doesn't have Piggly Wiggly Grocery I don't think .... last one around here buret. Which was kind of funny cause it stopped getting much business when other groceries, dollars stores, and super Walmart came in town.
Yeah we don't have a Piggly Wiggly here anymore either, used to also have a few small private owned stores as well as chain grocery stores like Winn Dixie, Food Town, A&P. The A&P changed several times, and was an IGA for several years, but it went out of business a few years ago too. Now we have Krogers, Walmart, and Save A Lot for grocery stores. Lost count on dollar stores around here, I think it's up to 6 or 7. They are putting up those Dollar General stores all over the place, stinking up the view of the area. There is a house and property for sale for well over one million dollars, and it's across from a Dollar General. It is a real nice looking place, but my wife says that dollar store that close ruins the view.

I would rather have a Dollar Gen Store than a Walmart within sight.

Piggly Wiggly sold out a couple of times and what was once thousands of stores is down to about 600 nationwide last I heard.

'Cruise night' was every Friday Saturday night when I was a teenager. On Texas Avenue and Texas 146 in Baytown. Then, if you picked up a challenge, it was out to TriCity Beach road for the race.
(Friday was youth bull riding at the Double Trouble Arena in Highlands so I didn't go to Baytown on Fridays.)

A funky song, but it is relatively accurate..
(no, I have no idea what the other song (no panties.. )the graphic speaks of is but since the songwriter drove a Chevy.............)

@greybeard I know what you mean about rather have a dollar store close by as compared to a Walmart. I think I'd still prefer the Walmart though, as the locations where they are located, in more commercial areas the surrounding land is valued exponentially more. The dollar stores here are a lot of times built several miles out in the county with no other businesses around. I preferred the days of the old country stores out in the county, but very few of them still in business.

I preferred the days of the old country stores out in the county,
That days-gone-by scenario tho, is a completely different ball of wax.

Walmart wasn't too bad when they were just a dept store, but when they went into 'superstores' things really went down for everyone else.
The problems really came when people (customers) started wanted EVERYTHING under one roof without it being a mall. Groceries, hardware, paint, bakery, clothing, candy, dairy, housewares, bank, prescriptions, a small cafe all under one roof...

Think how many small businesses just those listed put out of business. All in the name of convenience.

That days-gone-by scenario tho, is a completely different ball of wax.

Walmart wasn't too bad when they were just a dept store, but when they went into 'superstores' things really went down for everyone else.
The problems really came when people (customers) started wanted EVERYTHING under one roof without it being a mall. Groceries, hardware, paint, bakery, clothing, candy, dairy, housewares, bank, prescriptions, a small cafe all under one roof...

Think how many small businesses just those listed put out of business. All in the name of convenience.
Yes I was one of those small businesses. Had a downtown paint store, and between Walmart and Lowe's with them being able to buy in such volume I couldn't buy supply stock for what they could sell for.
Funny thing was a few years before we had 4 department stores in town, at one point when Walmart was the new one here, the locals all talked how it wouldn't stay in business long. Fast forward to today it's the only one left.

I knew a man whose family had 4 grocery stores in the two town area. Walmart came in. His own employees were shopping at Walmart. He said that he told them that they were putting him out of business and themselves out of jobs. He was right.
I suppose we have all had bit part in that at different times.
It's not just Walmart. Look how many hometown auto parts stores Autozone and Advanced Auto ran out of business.... because their parts were less expensive.
One of my cousins, for decades had a starter/alternator rebuilding business in San Angelo Texas. Rebuilt starters/alternators from Autozone really put a hurt on his business but the agriculture section tractors and livestock haul trucks kept him going last I heard.
I had him rebuild a car starter once, and it cost me significantly more than a rebuilt one from Autozone or NAPA but I paid it without complaint.

I had him rebuild a car starter once, and it cost me significantly more than a rebuilt one from Autozone or NAPA but I paid it without complaint.
Unfortunately most people don't understand the value of this. We try to avoid the big box stores all we can. Every time a dollar goes to small business it's a win for America!

Actually one of the nice things about where I live. It is about 50 east or 70 miles west to towns with Walmart, Home Depot, etc. We don't have the big box stores. We do have some locally owned franchise stores like Ace Hardware, Car Quest. I imagine that there were smaller grocery stores at one time. Now there are only two Safeway and Albertsons which are both owned by the same corporation.

I suppose we have all had bit part in that at different times.
It's not just Walmart. Look how many hometown auto parts stores Autozone and Advanced Auto ran out of business.... because their parts were less expensive.
One of my cousins, for decades had a starter/alternator rebuilding business in San Angelo Texas. Rebuilt starters/alternators from Autozone really put a hurt on his business but the agriculture section tractors and livestock haul trucks kept him going last I heard.
Yeah but did it work when you put it on. I will gladly pay extra to not have to replace the same starter/alternator 3 times because the POS was bad out of the box or only lasts a week.🤬

Oh yes, it absolutely worked.
I got a bad (brand spankin new) Delco Remy fuel pump once. Pizzed me off too since it was the kind that goes in the tank and I didn't test it before I put the tank back on....

Lefties that twist the bread tie backward
My lefty wife just figured out a way to entertain herself. She twist the bread tie half way in her backwards direction, then twist it the remainder in my correct direction. During some choice words and having to put my cheaters on to figure out the knot I'd created, I hear her snickering in the living room.

I knew a man whose family had 4 grocery stores in the two town area. Walmart came in. His own employees were shopping at Walmart. He said that he told them that they were putting him out of business and themselves out of jobs. He was right.

When I was in the union we weren't supposed to shop at Walmart. They sent us a letter of union approved beers. Ha.

My lefty wife just figured out a way to entertain herself. She twist the bread tie half way in her backwards direction, then twist it the remainder in my correct direction. During some choice words and having to put my cheaters on to figure out the knot I'd created, I hear her snickering in the living room.
Are twist ties on bread bags the norm down there? I haven't seen them on bread for decades. You guys really need to modernize! Lol

Oh yes, it absolutely worked.
I got a bad (brand spankin new) Delco Remy fuel pump once. Pizzed me off too since it was the kind that goes in the tank and I didn't test it before I put the tank back on....

Hell that ticks me off. Makes me want punch the dog. Ha

Are twist ties on bread bags the norm down there? I haven't seen them on bread for decades. You guys really need to modernize! Lol

What do ya'll have? Post a picture please?! Asap. Normally the south is behind times, that nothing new.
Bread ties tick me off. My old man need one stuck were the sun done shine. Ha. If it's not bad enough the stupid things tick me off he wants to put the stupid things back on the bread or leave them laying all over the place. First thing you do is take them throw them in the creek with the Fords. Haha

What do ya'll have? Post a picture please?! Asap. Normally the south is behind times, that nothing new.
Bread ties tick me off. My old man need one stuck were the sun done shine. Ha. If it's not bad enough the stupid things tick me off he wants to put the stupid things back on the bread or leave them laying all over the place. First thing you do is take them throw them in the creek with the Fords. Haha
1641910495757.jpeg

Latest posts