Thin hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My hay fields look terrible. I don't know if its last years drought, or this goofy wet spring we're having. It seems to rain every other day or three. Cool days, and cold nights. The sun never seems to shine. I made about half of a hay crop last year, I dont think I will get that much this year. My yard has only been mowed twice, its not even growing. Anybody else experiencing this?

The hot and cold seemed to start and stop the grass around here too. It's been growing like crazy here lately though. Some fields definitely look better than others.

Our hay is 99% fescue with a stray bit of OG thrown in. Last year we did about a third of normal, this year looks like it will be at least normal and actaully looks like more then that. But because of the drought (which BTW killed about 1 in 10 of the big oaks) we didn;t graze the hay fields in the late fall like we usually do.

With the flip flop in the temps you may find it helpful just to cut it now so it can start growing steady cause if it tries to boot it will be all staggery and the yield will be poor.

the weather is stunting the hay growth because it wont warm up.but if you have rye grass an clover in your meadows it should be going wild.but i think the coastal will be 3wks behind in growing this year.

Jogeephus":391wk3u5 said:
With the flip flop in the temps you may find it helpful just to cut it now so it can start growing steady cause if it tries to boot it will be all staggery and the yield will be poor.
One thing I found strange is around here it seems to be overned by elevation. A neighbor has a low hay filed that has about 90% headed out. Our lowest pasytres (about the same elevation as his hay field) are the same way. But as you go up the hill it gets less and less. He has one hay field on a ridge and it hasn;t even started to boot yet.
I've given some serious consideration to cutting ours now but 2 things hold me back. One is the rain which we don;t seem to be able to avoid for more then 2 days at a stretch and those 2 days it's too cool to cure. The other is the fields are so waterlogged that just walking across them you throw up a rooster tail. The few areas that have more then a couple of inches of soil covering the limestone will dry up some, but the water percolating from the thin stuff and following the surface of the rock to the end keeps it pretty soggy too.

I agree with what dun said. our lower pastures are doing great this spring. looks like we will have at least a normal hay season. but our higher pastures are still thin, but could be improving with some warmer temps coming up, I am sure.
I kept my cattle off of them during the late fall months, and I hope that helped them.

I only have Fescue and Orchard grass hay I notice with orchard grass no matter how heavy I plant still has open space in it and the fescue plant that heavy and let it grow to about 2 feet and its a task to get your feet through it. When it gets really hot you can hang it up for the orchard grass but the fescue still stands thick and strong.

skyhightree1":2bj6bfln said:
I only have Fescue and Orchard grass hay I notice with orchard grass no matter how heavy I plant still has open space in it and the fescue plant that heavy and let it grow to about 2 feet and its a task to get your feet through it. When it gets really hot you can hang it up for the orchard grass but the fescue still stands thick and strong.
That would be because OG is a bunch grass while fescue is a sod grass.

dun":f7rxjc7g said:
skyhightree1":f7rxjc7g said:
I thought fescue was a bunch grass too. Guess I learned something.

Banjo":1f1qob82 said:
dun":1f1qob82 said:
skyhightree1":1f1qob82 said:
I thought fescue was a bunch grass too. Guess I learned something.
It's kind of funny, it's referred to as both. But the reason it doesn;t make good wildlife habitat is because it forms solid sod and doesn;t leave any open ground for the wildlife.

Latest posts