Thin charolais breeding bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
There is a herd of cattle that was not taken care of and is going to be auctioned off. There are about 20 of the 2-3 year old bulls. They have been overworked and under fed. However, the bulls come from an outstanding breeder. I used to buy his bulls until they got to be more expensive than I wanted to pay. These bulls have frames to weigh 1200-1500 but only weigh 900-1,000. I am thinking of buying 6 or 8 and worming them and feeding them well and then in 60 days turn them out with the cows. Of course, they will have to be semen and trich tested, first. I have no idea what they will cost, guess that will depend on whether or not someone else wants to do the same thing. It may be that they will be too expensive for the effort and it would be better to buy bulls already in good condition. If they go for slaughter price, that would be about 80-85 cents, as thin as they are. But that won't happen. If they sell them guaranteed sound and guaranteed to pass a trich test, there won't be a risk to lose money. However, as thin as they are, they may just pound them and not guarantee them. In that case, you can pay alot over slaughter price and then if they fail the test, you lose money when you sell them for slaughter. They have not decided which way to do it, yet. Anyone bought bulls like this? Had any problems I need to be aware of? Anything else I should be aware of or keep in mind to watch for? Thanks

Wouldn't take them home if they were given to me. Don't know what they are carrying with sloppy management like that.

Aaron, it wasn't always like this. Last fall, the owner was diagnosed with terminal cancer and he depended on family members to try to take care of the nearly 500 cow herd spread out over several farms, several miles apart. He ran mixed, calf raising type cows, with excellent charolais bulls. With this horrible winter weather and difficult care situation, the cattle do not look good. They were going to sell them earlier, but decided to wait until after he passed away and that happened a few weeks ago. Knowing the the man, his cattle, the situation, and the breeder of the bulls is the only reason I am giving it any thought.

stocky":237ve0b7 said:
Aaron, it wasn't always like this. Last fall, the owner was diagnosed with terminal cancer and he depended on family members to try to take care of the nearly 500 cow herd spread out over several farms, several miles apart. He ran mixed, calf raising type cows, with excellent charolais bulls. With this horrible winter weather and difficult care situation, the cattle do not look good. They were going to sell them earlier, but decided to wait until after he passed away and that happened a few weeks ago. Knowing the the man, his cattle, the situation, and the breeder of the bulls is the only reason I am giving it any thought.

Ok, that changes the perspective, but your still talking about 2-3 year old bulls that would be 12-1500, even if they carried flesh? Sounds like pretty small bulls with poor growth - especially for Char bulls. Would be different if they were 1800 lbers that should weigh 2300 lbs.

I would go for it ,if YOU KNOW & TRUST the history of the ranch & cows.. I willing to bet there will be a lot "associates" at this sale, trying to pick up some good stock on the cheap.

Go for it. What do you have to lose? Even they really are thin and you put some weight on them you will most likely make money on the gain alone even if one does test dirty

If you are as comfortable with the breeding as it seems, I would go for it. If you buy them reasonable and they don't turn out as you hoped you can always put some weight on and sell them. At that age and present prices they should put the weight on cost effectively.

Knowing and trusting the fellow, I might pick a couple up, but I don't know if I'd pick up 10 of them... I guess I'd rather make money and risk less too..

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. It may be a no go on the bulls. I spoke with the nephew tonight and he told me the sales barn owner has decided to sell the bulls "for slaughter only" because he does not want to keep the bulls around for a few days for the trich test to come in. I called the owner and left a message (pretending I did not know his decision) asking how many of the bulls tested 2 year old and told him I will be trying to buy them and have the barn semen and trich test them before bringing them home. He has yet to return my call. The bulls selling for "slaughter only" will probably bring 80-85 cents, so the family is losing alot of money. It sounds like they are not going to put any more effort into selling than they have to. At every barn I have ever been to, you can buy a bull and have him tested and then pick him up after the trich test comes back clean. I have seen many bulls sell at this barn that have been tested and then taken home after they clear. Here, if you buy any bull that is not a virgin bull, you have to have him trich tested before he can leave the sales barn. Something is very fishy with this situation. The family may intercede about this bull decision, I will hear more from the nephew tomorrow. I do not think the bulls will sell cheap if they can go home, because the nephew has been getting several calls, about the bulls, from people who want them. So, it may be another case of thinking I have a way to make or save some money, but it is not going to work. The sale barn owner lives 1/2 mile behind my back fence and since he has bought this barn, he has tried hard to get my business, so even if I have to go to his house tomorrow, he is going to get an earfull of what I think about his operation and what his chances are at getting any of my cattle through his barn.

denvermartinfarms":7moeofon said:
As thin as they are I don't think you can go wrong if they weigh them.
Bingo.
Value as feeder bulls. Buy them all, test and evaluate. Keep what fits (if any) and sell the rest.

js1234":597bsqd6 said:
denvermartinfarms":597bsqd6 said:
Bingo.
Value as feeder bulls. Buy them all, test and evaluate. Keep what fits (if any) and sell the rest.
Especially if they only bring .85. Tell the barn you are taking them home to put in the lot to feed. Test the ones you might want and then put some feed in them. Put weight on them and send them out here if nothing else they will bring $1 a pound or more. Should be more kill bulls have brought as much as 1.20

Jake":39ilu8ke said:
js1234":39ilu8ke said:
denvermartinfarms":39ilu8ke said:
Bingo.
Especially if they only bring .85. Tell the barn you are taking them home to put in the lot to feed. Test the ones you might want and then put some feed in them. Put weight on them and send them out here if nothing else they will bring $1 a pound or more. Should be more kill bulls have brought as much as 1.20
Telling the barn owner anything probably won't go along way, seems he would rather be hard to get along with than have a good business. The only reason any of us go to this particular sale is because things usually don't sell very good and you can get some deals.

The deal that he wouldn't let someone buy a bull and pay to have it tested Is ridiculous, he has people wanting to buy bulls and possibly pay more for them, but won't do it, I think that says plenty about the situation.

Stocky, that's the kind of deal that can make you some money but lose little either way. Risk is part of the business no matter what you do. I'm a buyer on this deal.

If they are stuck on slaughter only through the sale barn. Try dealing straight with the family before they leave the farm. It sounds like they are just interested in the money. Offer them what the bulls would bring to slaughter, maybe a touch more and point out that they wont have to pay commission or hauling.

Dave":1toq4usg said:
Try dealing straight with the family before they leave the farm. It sounds like they are just interested in the money. Offer them what the bulls would bring to slaughter, maybe a touch more and point out that they wont have to pay commission or hauling.

I was thinking along similar lines when I read about the sale barn owner issue.

Perhaps you will have better luck dealing direct with the family.

Katherine

I don't blame the sale barn owner. Its extra trouble for him. Family should have them tested before the sale. They may bring more for slaughter than what the bargain bull buyers think. Still think if the sold in the 80 cent range I would buy them.

Latest posts