They just won't eat it

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Took these pics in my bull pen. It's only about an acre and half. About the only time something is in here is from March 1st-May 15th. It grows wild the rest of the year. I will flash graze from time to time. It hadn't been clipped or sprayed, in I honestly don't know how long. The grass in there is so rank, I decided I would graze it close, and then skin it pretty close with the bushhog, and then spray any weeds that suckered back out. I put ten 800 plus pound heifers in it, and a bull. Shut the gate on em, and just left em. They've been getting about 6 pounds of feed a day, and nothing else. Been in there 2 weeks. They've eat about everything, but the Bermuda. May be what I'm calling Bermuda, ain't Bermuda, but we all call it that.

Boot top high. Probably way overmature, but it's all there is left to eat.

Canteen may put it in better perspective

Only about 30% of this little field is Bermuda. It keeps the weeds pretty well choked out. Has never been fertilized, but I suspicion that under no circumstance, would they eat it. Same story all over my place. They just won't eat it.

I have a few patches of Bermuda, they won't eat unless there's nothing else. Might try cutting it and see if they will eat the new growth.

My horses eat it pretty good. They really have no choice though. I have never seen a cow eat any of it. I have at least some in every field. Anytime I roll hay, there is bound to be some baled. I've never observed them not eating it as hay. It'd be largely impossible to know that for sure though.

I have a little Wrangler Bermuda. Much wider leaf. They will eat it, but they don't just go after it.

M-5":1ypat1nh said:
They will eat it here after the bahaia , in hay they will eat it first , horses prefer it over bahaia

Does it resemble the common Bermuda in your area?

M-5":1k5mlnkf said:
Yes , it's the same

I asked because my deer hunters are from Florida. They said it doesn't resemble their Bermuda. They raise citrus though. Seem very knowledgeable about agriculture though.

It can't seem to establish itself anywhere fescue is growing. Will run anywhere it's not. I could probably wet that field with glyphosate in early spring before the Bermuda greens up, and have the whole little field in a pure stand of Bermuda. Would be senseless, because nothing will eat it.

Bigfoot":f2w55wte said:
M-5":f2w55wte said:
Yes , it's the same

I asked because my deer hunters are from Florida. They said it doesn't resemble their Bermuda. They raise citrus though. Seem very knowledgeable about agriculture though.

It can't seem to establish itself anywhere fescue is growing. Will run anywhere it's not. I could probably wet that field with glyphosate in early spring before the Bermuda greens up, and have the whole little field in a pure stand of Bermuda. Would be senseless, because nothing will eat it.
N the pic with boots the grass in foreground is not Bermuda and I don't know what the dry seed heads are. Aournd where she is standing is common , it's very fine l
Stemed and fine leafed.

i just read a 2 year study showing feeding over 3 lb / hd / day actually lower lbs gained when cows are eating on pasture.

:)

ddd75":2wqxg4qw said:
i just read a 2 year study showing feeding over 3 lb / hd / day actually lower lbs gained when cows are eating on pasture.

This concept merits its own thread. It'd be interesting to see some discussion on the topic and some research.

Bermuda is the last grass my cows will eat. In fact, I've had them break into the hay lot when plenty of Bermuda was available.

Bigfoot":1j757l5g said:
ddd75":1j757l5g said:

This concept merits its own thread. It'd be interesting to see some discussion on the topic and some research.
I too would like to see more discussion on this. I find it hard to believe but would accept results if presented.