they are out down this way

Help Support CattleToday:

dewey

Reaction score
hello folks computer been down awhile but its back up and going again.

my brother has some dozeing going on on his lease place i went out Saturday to look at their progress. i gave the dozer operator a break for awhile, while i was on the dozer this came to the trucks to visit with them. they are copperheads if anyone dont know what they are.

copperhead.jpg

the smaller one is the one that came to the trucks he was 19 inches long the bigger one was one the dozer got he was 26 inches long. there was another one the dozer got but i didnt go lookin for him. lol plenty of rattle snakes on the place too but none been spotted yet. they seen 3 or 4 more yesterday too. they will be dozeing until Wednesday there is no telling how many they will run across.
copperhead1.jpg

Up here we have Rattle Snakes and bull snakes. The bull snakes are harmless.

I guess I thought that Copperheads were more of a watersnake. Didn't realize they were in the dirt like these guys.

Hey something is wrong with that snakes head. :lol:

They also like to get under leaves and in flower beds! My sister has come across them in hers. Not good.

How did you keep them from slithering off the fence? Anytime I try to hang one on the fence(belly up for rain)it slithers off even though it is dead.

Also I don't believe I have ever seen any that big. The ones we see are usually small.

Gate Opener":t07vh9ab said:

They also like to get under leaves and in flower beds! My sister has come across them in hers. Not good.

How did you keep them from slithering off the fence? Anytime I try to hang one on the fence(belly up for rain)it slithers off even though it is dead.

Also I don't believe I have ever seen any that big. The ones we see are usually small.

Way to go Gate Opener! I didn't know any one else in the world had ever heard "hang em belly up for rain".

We got our share of Copperheads but haven't seen a rattle snake in years. Yes, Copperheads are ground snakes, not water snakes. And at 26" that's a huge Copperhead. They are vipers but they are a little down the list as far as their "deadly" quotion goes.

The only good snake is a dead one as far as I'm concerned.

Don't know if it's true or just a tale, but Dad said he'd always heard when you hang one up on the fence, come back the same time the next day and you could kill it's mate.

Cuz

Gate Opener":j49y92y1 said:

:lol: i am not exactly sure what that snake ran into with its head i wasnt there at the time. my brother hung em on the fence i dont care to touch a snake dead and for sure not alive. they didnt have no wiggle in them when he hung them up. i guess you have to wait until the stop wigglin around. :lol: the one that came to the truck was dead maybe a couple hours before he hung him the other i dont know when he got ran over by the dozer.

We have both rattlers and copperheads. If I remeber this one was 44".

rattlers.jpg

Folks around here use to put rattlesnake rattlers in their guitars, they said it made them sound better.

Earl Thigpen":zwvgpcs7 said:
Gate Opener":zwvgpcs7 said:

Way to go Gate Opener! I didn't know any one else in the world had ever heard "hang em belly up for rain".

We got our share of Copperheads but haven't seen a rattle snake in years. Yes, Copperheads are ground snakes, not water snakes. And at 26" that's a huge Copperhead. They are vipers but they are a little down the list as far as their "deadly" quotion goes.

The only good snake is a dead one as far as I'm concerned.

maybe this is what i'm doing wrong. i didnt know they had to be belly up. that makes sense.

When they were clearing the Campbellton place with the roller chopper they probably ran over 500 buzztails with that sucker. You'd go along behind it and there'd be rattlesnake pieces/parts all over the place. Never saw a copperhead or a cottonmouth down there but we had all the hogs and buzztails you could ever want X10.Z

RATTLESNAKE.jpg

Rattler found in Kansas is longest ever captured

A prairie rattlesnake found by a man in western Kansas has been confirmed as the longest ever recorded in the nation.

The 57 1/8-inch-long snake was found in April near the Colorado border in Hamilton County. Its length was confirmed by an, associate curator of herpetology at Sternberg Museum of Natural History at Fort Hays State University. The snake has been preserved and cataloged in the Sternberg Museum scientific collections.

The snake's length surpassed the previous Kansas record of 48 3/8 inches found in 1926. It also surpassed the national record of 57 inches as reported in the third edition (1998) of the "Peterson Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern and Central North America."

Earl Thigpen":1s39ijcz said:
Gate Opener":1s39ijcz said:

The way I heard it in East TX was hang them belly up; if they turn over it will rain w/in 24 hrs. If they stay belly up - no rain. Also heard the same about coming back in 24 hrs. to find the mate. Usually kill 3-5 around the house/barn each year.

cattleluvr18":2phfe3pu said:
i wish that pic would have been holding that snake out unstead of all scrunched up so its easier to see how long it is.

If you are refering to the big rattler, it was frozen when that picture was taken. I've heard that there is another big one that "may" have broken the record again. I think the "mutation" into big snakes has been caused by "Global Warming." (ha-ha)

Why are snakes so feared? I can't see the harm in them if you leave them alone wont they leave you alone? we only have the little garter snakes in the part of the Country I live in.

Latest posts