There is Nothing Quite Like..

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
The feeling you get when a calf comes up to visit just, because. We have 2 calves on cows that are "pets" (for lack of a better word). One was a bottle baby for the first week of her life. Mama had no milk and no mothering instincts. So rather than mess with her we bottled the calf. So that one is explainable. The other we assisted at birth, and really didn't do much else with him. We were concerned that he wasn't getting enough to eat so I believe he got a bottle shortly after birth. But other than that he's been on his mama.

Today, I was out doing my regular walk through of all the newest babies. Making sure that they are all healthy, and getting enough to eat (if they are on a heifer). Everyone looks good, when all of a sudden this calf runs up to me. Not hungry, she just chewed on my fingers, then my coat. All she wanted was to visit. So I scratched her for a bit then she took off, kicking and bucking. She is getting everything she needs from her mama, but just wanted to visit :heart: :D . That's something that makes all that hard work worth it.

The other guy, didn't come running up today, but I walked over and he just lay there and let me scratch him too. He's fat and sassy too, so obviously not lacking anything in the milk department.

Got 4 others that beller every time they see me, but that is a little different ;-) They are just thinking of their bellies.

The other calves on cows will come up and sniff me if I stand still long enough, but they aren't interested in being scratched, move, and they are off like a shot.

How wonderful!!! We've had a few bottle babies and as cute as it is, after a while (and a bit of weight gain) it gets a little aggravating (to me anyway)

CowgirlUpNY":1ig28dkb said:
How wonderful!!! We've had a few bottle babies and as cute as it is, after a while (and a bit of weight gain) it gets a little aggravating (to me anyway)

Well, she wasn't pushing on me or anything. I don't mind having them come up and visit. Different if they don't have any manners though. These guys get to learn a few manners.

randiliana":32thbb3v said:
CowgirlUpNY":32thbb3v said:

Well, she wasn't pushing on me or anything. I don't mind having them come up and visit. Different if they don't have any manners though. These guys get to learn a few manners.

Forget manners, forget management, thats work. Remember where you are at all times, but just get out and enjoy them.

Not too many other things that get the stress out or relax me as much as being out with the herd and a bunch of healthy, comical calves.

Being out there for me, not for them. :lol:

Surprising how time will fly out there.
Thanx for the post Randilianna, guess where I am headed right now?

ALX

AngusLimoX":1p53g3yn said:
Forget manners, forget management, thats work. Remember where you are at all times, but just get out and enjoy them.

Not too many other things that get the stress out or relax me as much as being out with the herd and a bunch of healthy, comical calves.

Being out there for me, not for them. :lol:

Surprising how time will fly out there.
Thanx for the post Randilianna, guess where I am headed right now?

Ummmmmm, just a wild guess... You're going out to visit with the babies :p :p Have fun.

Randi, I can watch and interact with babies like that for hours...literally hours. :)

Alice

I love interacting with the babies!!! It is a definite stress reliever, I was just saying watch out as they get a little older and some weight behind them.

CowgirlUpNY":3luzrdcp said:
I love interacting with the babies!!! It is a definite stress reliever, I was just saying watch out as they get a little older and some weight behind them.

Yep. I understood what you were saying :lol: . Been around cattle my whole life, so I certainly understand. Like I say they have to learn manners just like any other creature. Rule # 1 is NO pushing.

Yesterday I was feeling a little overworked and overstressed so I went out to visit with some of my calves. I've got four purebred heifer calves that aren't bottle babies but they are friendly. They look so happy when I come to see them and run over to get scratched. Well, the ones that are older now saunter over, at two months old looking cool is important. They always make me smile even on the worst of days.

Latest posts