There goes the neighborhood.

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the last group are democrats. Gave them a hand out or two, and all they do now is stand around waiting for the next free meal. See how about everyone of them have a foot out?

I thought we thinned them down hard this year. Last tally was 350 but I caught this one on camera this week. Least its just one.

Jogeephus":mxotvqh2 said:
I thought we thinned them down hard this year. Last tally was 350 but I caught this one on camera this week. Least its just one.

Jo, how do you get so many. 10 a year is very good here. They of course multiply much faster than we can kill them.

I don't. Ten would be good for me but I along with most adjoining landowners let some guys dog hunt when deer season isn't in. They go nearly every weekend and its rare that they kill less than three a day. I go with them on occasion but trudging through the swamp chasing dogs isn't my idea of fun especially when you finally get to the hog and find the dogs have already killed it. Running them with dogs when they are on the hill is a different story though. I like this a lot.

Jogeephus":2d0xssjo said:
I don't. Ten would be good for me but I along with most adjoining landowners let some guys dog hunt when deer season isn't in. They go nearly every weekend and its rare that they kill less than three a day. I go with them on occasion but trudging through the swamp chasing dogs isn't my idea of fun especially when you finally get to the hog and find the dogs have already killed it. Running them with dogs when they are on the hill is a different story though. I like this a lot.
Here even with dogs 1 a day is real good. The terrian is so steep its hard on both the dogs and the humans. Almost every trip a dog will either get killed or but up real bad. Most have just started running bear instead.

skyhightree1":2ots5t2m said:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Looks like you got some thinning out of the population to do.
At 3 litters a year starting at 8 months of age, it will take a lot of thinning. :cry2:

cross_7":2ots5t2m said:
I didn't know we had hogs here. I haven't seen any sign of them.
Won't be long for you I'm afraid. They travel up the rivers, then spread out. First time we had a problem of the river bottom was this past spring. They left after a little pressure, but they're back with a vengeance now- splinter groups everywhere.

denvermartinfarms":2ots5t2m said:
Congratulations. What's really special is when you come home and there's 50 of them in your yard.
Luckily I don't live close by, or there's a good chance I'd become obsessed with they're demise more than I am.

Horrible pests.

kenny thomas":1b7w2oar said:
Jogeephus":1b7w2oar said:
Here even with dogs 1 a day is real good. The terrian is so steep its hard on both the dogs and the humans. Almost every trip a dog will either get killed or but up real bad. Most have just started running bear instead.

I'd like to see some dogs in action on these. These seem to be so nocturnal, and they aren't making a sound during the day to figure out where they're bedding.

Ours tend to be nocturnal too but the dogs will flush them with no trouble. They tend to stay in the swamps during the summer but in spring and fall they venture to the cropland and this is where I like hunting them.

Its not hard to kill them with the dogs here. Just mucky dirt and flat. The pigs will often run off and leave the youngsters so its nothing for the dogs to kill several of these at a time. Personally I don't care to watch that but i know they need killing. Getting a dog cut up is fairly common but dog deaths are rare but they did lose one last month I think when it cornered a boar that weighed about 350 lbs. The bore got under the dog's vest and shook it and broke its neck.

Here is a picture of what we did one day on the hill and this isn't all we killed that day. I believe we caught 3 babies and killed three more to top off the bag that morning. We had a blast that day only when it came time to clean them everyone disappeared but that was fine. We got a load of meat off them and it was good because they had been eating peanuts and corn.

Those pigs look like they've been eating well, they look to have better condition than what I've seen.

What do you generally do with the meat? Mostly sausage type stuff?

They are fat aren't they. Plenty of peanuts and corn. In the spring they will come up from the swamp and line up on a row of corn or peanuts and just walk the rows rooting up the seed as they go. They will come again about this time of year but the rest of the time they hold up in the swamp.

We'll mostly use it for BBQ and stuff like that. Also mix it with venison for fresh sausage but I won't use it for anything I'm not going to cook to 165F or better because of trichinosis. This is what puzzles me about all these people wanting free range pork. The idea of trichinosis scares the shyt out of me and I want my pigs raised in a tight pen or better yet on concrete.

Hook":3vc86l10 said:
I won't hardly eat wild pig anymore unless it's been cleaned out with corn.

I have never heard of that Please explain. We used to take bullhead catfish and put them in a tub for a week with fresh running water to flush the mud out of their gut and sweeten them a bit but I can't make a connection between that and pigs?

Feeding corn through them for 30-90 days in a pen (if possible). Around here the pink root and grubs and swamps they feed in (along with other undesirable stuff) gives the meat a flavor that could use some improvement

Hook":1ne8vjr4 said:
Feeding corn through them for 30-90 days in a pen (if possible). Around here the pink root and grubs and swamps they feed in (along with other undesirable stuff) gives the meat a flavor that could use some improvement

Doesn't do much for the trichinosis though does it?

Latest posts