The Rules

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I can't take credit for these as I stole them off another site...

The rules for being an Elite Registered Angus breeder.

1. You are not a real registered breeder unless you have several donor cows.
2. EPD's are more important than anything else.
3. You must feed the maximum amount possible, even if it wrecks a few head.
4. You use politically correct terms like moderate, optimum, and high roughage ration, but you aim for the absolute most weaning weight, the highest gains and the biggest fattest cows that a corn bucket can achieve.
5. All cows are continually referred to as foundation cows.
6. All cows are said to weight 1200# and be moderate framed, even if you can't see over the top of them and they weigh 1900#.
7. After you have arrived as a famous Angus breeder, you start using bulls that you never would have considered before back when you were broke and just trying to create a good set of cows.
8. Once you have sold a cow for $20,000 you are not happy unless your high selling cow brings $50,000.
9. Instead of worrying about creating cattle that achieve the numbers of 1.0 30 20 50, you strive for 900 4000 15 85. 900# weaning weights, $4000 bull sale average, an average of 15 No. 1 eggs per flush and any calf that indexes above 85 is in the bull sale.
10. You quit breeding for longevity, fertility, good udders, disposition or efficiency.
11. All cows that are open in the fall, sell open and ready to flush.
12. Your cows spend less time grazing and more time being fed than ever before.
13. You use lick tubs because they help prevent foot rot. NOT
14. The phone numbers of the regional manager, sales managers, feed companies, ET centers and your nutritionist are all on speed dial.
15. You would rather be told that your wife is cheating on you, than have someone say your cattle's EPD's are low or that your weaning weights are just average.
16. Most of your catalog footnotes refer to how much money some ancestor in the pedigree brought at a sale.
17. You use words to describe your cattle that have nothing to do with beef production. Words like: astounding, phenomenal, record setting, and my favorite one - unbelievable.
18. Your cattle all eat out of cement feed bunks.
19. You leave out any numbers or measures that are bad or below average.
20. You don't list how many calves a cow has had or what the average weaning ratio is unless it is really good.
21. Once you are an elite breeder, you only purchase cattle, semen and embryos from other elite breeders who also dothe previously mentioned things.

great post. Hard to fine an "elite" breeder in any breed of cattle that doesn't follow at least 2/3 of these rules.

those rules are pretty much why I am content to muddle through life as a multiplier.....
trying to produce cattle that will survive and perform in my environment.....
worked to a reasonable degree......
several of the buyers who bought cattle when we dispersed the herd last year have called and wanted to buy more......
could not figure out what part of "dispersed the herd" they didn't understand but then I thought of how many elite breeders have had multiple dispersals and annual sales after their dispersals. :lol2: :nod: :cry2:

pdfangus":130v49ez said:
those rules are pretty much why I am content to muddle through life as a multiplier.....
trying to produce cattle that will survive and perform in my environment.....
worked to a reasonable degree......
several of the buyers who bought cattle when we dispersed the herd last year have called and wanted to buy more......
could not figure out what part of "dispersed the herd" they didn't understand but then I thought of how many elite breeders have had multiple dispersals and annual sales after their dispersals. :lol2: :nod: :cry2:
There are also the business that have goingout of business sales for years and years but 10 years later they're still there and still going out of business

I don't like them because all my cows do eat out of concrete bunks during the winter.. as cheap to put up a 100' of concrete bunks as it is to buy 2 apache or other bale feeding trailers..

:)

20. You don't list how many calves a cow has had or what the average weaning ratio is unless it is really good.
[/quote]

Sadly, these are remarkably accurate . . .

15. You would rather be told that your wife is cheating on you, than have someone say your cattle's EPD's are low or that your weaning weights are just average.
[/quote]

Depends on the wife. :roll:

Most of your catalog footnotes refer to how much money some ancestor in the pedigree brought at a sale[/qoute]

Just change that to "The Angus Hall of Fame does your sale catalog". It means the same thing.

Oldtimer":1tzqb5ko said:
I can't take credit for these as I stole them off another site...

1. You are not a real registered breeder unless you have several donor cows.
2. EPD's are more important than anything else.
3. You must feed the maximum amount possible, even if it wrecks a few head.
4. You use politically correct terms like moderate, optimum, and high roughage ration, but you aim for the absolute most weaning weight, the highest gains and the biggest fattest cows that a corn bucket can achieve.
5. All cows are continually referred to as foundation cows.
6. All cows are said to weight 1200# and be moderate framed, even if you can't see over the top of them and they weigh 1900#.
7. After you have arrived as a famous Angus breeder, you start using bulls that you never would have considered before back when you were broke and just trying to create a good set of cows.
8. Once you have sold a cow for $20,000 you are not happy unless your high selling cow brings $50,000.
9. Instead of worrying about creating cattle that achieve the numbers of 1.0 30 20 50, you strive for 900 4000 15 85. 900# weaning weights, $4000 bull sale average, an average of 15 No. 1 eggs per flush and any calf that indexes above 85 is in the bull sale.
10. You quit breeding for longevity, fertility, good udders, disposition or efficiency.
11. All cows that are open in the fall, sell open and ready to flush.
12. Your cows spend less time grazing and more time being fed than ever before.
13. You use lick tubs because they help prevent foot rot. NOT
14. The phone numbers of the regional manager, sales managers, feed companies, ET centers and your nutritionist are all on speed dial.
16. Most of your catalog footnotes refer to how much money some ancestor in the pedigree brought at a sale.
17. You use words to describe your cattle that have nothing to do with beef production. Words like: astounding, phenomenal, record setting, and my favorite one - unbelievable.
18. Your cattle all eat out of cement feed bunks.
21. Once you are an elite breeder, you only purchase cattle, semen and embryos from other elite breeders who also dothe previously mentioned things.
OH SHOOT!!! I've been doing it all WRONG!!!!!!!!!! :help:
Valerie

You left off the most important qualification: The need for an outside source of income or capital that makes economic performance of the enterprise irrelivant. This works until the money runs out and receivership invariably follows...

I love the sale catalogs that show a family picture of the owners on the inside cover and they all look like a bunch of poodles in a barn door. :lol2:

Idaman":3psvng3s said:
I love the sale catalogs that show a family picture of the owners on the inside cover and they all look like a bunch of poodles in a barn door. :lol2:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it when they have a list of the grounds crew.

The best or most ridiculous sale catalog I ever saw had an invocation from the guys minister on page 3. "The owner and his cattle are blessed..."

VLS_GUY":ypcswn0v said:
You left off the most important qualification: The need for an outside source of income or capital that makes economic performance of the enterprise irrelivant. This works until the money runs out and receivership invariably follows...

Does "reciprocal buying" happen to some degree in other breeds? I can't imagine it does to the extent it happens in Angus, but just curious.

I really respect some of the angus organizations that don't participate in that - Sinclair, Wehrmans, Gardiner, ohlde, etc regardless of genetic take on breed enhancement.

I wonder if angus was white would everyone still like them or would they not like them because there white. :?: :?: :?:

I know it sounds weird coming from a guy named sim.-ang. king and raises black animals but i wonder if i would have white sim.- ang. cross. :?:

McD's would stop selling angus and would go back to hoilsteine. :lol:

Latest posts