The results are in on SAV America 8018

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
We bred 8 via timed AI, 7 day protocol.

Mostly older cows, all with average fertility.

5 out of 8 confirmed pregnant.

[image]358[/image]

Not too shabby considering the extreme heat.

We have 25-30 more to go.

#34 was a heifer that was possibly exposed to our President son when he escaped a lot through an open gate a while back, just wanted to make sure he didn't get her. Glad she came back open.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Why do you have cows with "average" fertility?

Because if I said "above average fertility" I would have been roasted on CT.

This group has never had any issues getting settled. Sometimes old cows can be more difficult to breed than heifers.

I saw a discussion on Facebook recently discussing TAI, the consensus was that it's not exactly a successful procedure, poor results were common.

Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

For an excuse I'm guessing

No excuses, some just didn't settle. It's to be expected.

If I had 8 for 8 stick, and then had several sets of twins, females at that, then I guess I could brag a little.

Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

62.5% first service conception.... clearly the greatest of all time... :roll:

I've always had respect for SAV, but all the endless boasting over and over just puts me off my feed.

63% conception on micro managed cows is not overly impressive even if we were talking Holsteins.

Son of Butch said:
Bcompton53 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I've always had respect for SAV, but all the endless boasting over and over just puts me off my feed.

63% conception on micro managed cows is not overly impressive even if we were talking Holsteins.

I agree, I should have had 100% success, I really feel disappointed in such poor performance, hence the reason I'm setting up another group shortly and doing it all over again, and again, and again, till the cows come home. No time to rest.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Because if I said "above average fertility" I would have been roasted on CT.

This group has never had any issues getting settled. Sometimes old cows can be more difficult to breed than heifers.

I saw a discussion on Facebook recently discussing TAI, the consensus was that it's not exactly a successful procedure, poor results were common.

I couldn't pass up the chance at a jab. Yeah timed ai seemed a bit weird to me. I'm sure it fits some operations, but why go to all that work of cidrs and shots, but not heat detect? We do 7 day, then heat detect and time so what's left. We hit 90% last year that way.

************* said:
Son of Butch said:
Bcompton53 said:

I agree, I should have had 100% success, I really feel disappointed in such poor performance, hence the reason I'm setting up another group shortly and doing it all over again, and again, and again, till the cows come home. No time to rest.
Might I suggest, you do the 30 day? I think it would be your best bet but there are reasons people don't breed in this heat.

That rate is not exceptional, especially when holding over all those girls to breed to one bull. Time IS money.

Son of Butch said:
100% is an unrealistic goal and will always lead to disappointment.
I know nothing of Kentucky, but the heat and humidity has been close to unbearable here this week.

I think it's unbearable everywhere. Good Lord. I need gills.

My real question is why you're turning out one of them older cows that didn't settle to America, to your President bull calf? By my calculations, he's only 10 months old?

I rolled all my herd over to fall calving because it is nearly impossible here to heat detect effectively in hot weather. On my terrain, they go to the pastures along the hollers where there are big trees. Some are absolutely huge. I have a cottonwood that must be twelve feet in circumference. They graze, then get back under the trees and lay down. You simply don't see estrus behavior.

NEFarmwife said:
My real question is why you're turning out one of them older cows that didn't settle to America, to your President bull calf? By my calculations, he's only 10 months old?

I'm pretty sure he's able to get the job done now. Vet told me it would be ok as long as it's a small number. I will probably hold up till the heat subsides.

As for the cow, she is not a mean cow, but she is suspicious when it comes time to round her up for AI, it becomes frustrating when she heads for the woods. Her progeny have been good, so that's why she still has a place here. She has Rito and Lucy in her blood which I like. I tried AI'ng her to International last year, she didn't settle, put Big Wayne in with her and he got the job done, now we have a nice female calf on her side that we will AI in time. Sometimes you just have to let the bull help out.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

I'm pretty sure he's able to get the job done now. Vet told me it would be ok as long as it's a small number. I will probably hold up till the heat subsides.

As for the cow, she is not a mean cow, but she is suspicious when it comes time to round her up for AI, it becomes frustrating when she heads for the woods. Her progeny have been good, so that's why she still has a place here. She has Rito and Lucy in her blood which I like. I tried AI'ng her to International last year, she didn't settle, put Big Wayne in with her and he got the job done, now we have a nice female calf on her side that we will AI in time. Sometimes you just have to let the bull help out.
You're not concerned at all about him getting hurt trying to mount her? Did you semen test him?

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
Son of Butch said:

Might I suggest, you do the 30 day? I think it would be your best bet but there are reasons people don't breed in this heat.

That rate is not exceptional, especially when holding over all those girls to breed to one bull. Time IS money.

Again, I agree, I should not have been satisfied with anything less than 100% conception. There is someone in my county that AI's, they tell me that it's rare that one ever comes back open. They are legends, but I'm afraid truth isn't aligned with reality. At least I posted my Biopryn results, I just have to go on the "word" of others.

I will consider the 30 day. I went on the advice of my ABS rep, as far as 7 day.

Like I said, I was reading about TAI on a Facebook forum and after hearing others results, I felt pretty good.

My ABS rep said the results were good.

As for breeding in this heat, it's tough, I probably would have gotten 7 for 8 if it had been in November.

FYI, on the advice of Ron and the data from the Moo Monitor, I didn't wait till 66 hours to breed. Most of them came into very strong heats at least 10 hours ahead of time, we bred them according to the data we were seeing, and when Ron said "go for it!" Glad I listened. At 66 hours exactly, most of them according to the Moo Monitor were finished with their heats. It would have been too late if we had followed the "textbook"

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

You're not concerned at all about him getting hurt trying to mount her? Did you semen test him?

She's about 1600 pounds, and when around a bull totally calm, it's humans she is wary of.

He's big for his age, and to be quite blunt, I've watched him ejaculate, also he has a high libido from what I can see.

No he has not been semen tested, yet. I was going to have it done as a yearling.

I just want to see if he can pull it off, I think he can. They will be together in a pen with no other animals, he would only have to focus on her for a month or two.

I once asked Ron if he thought a 10 month old could do the deed and he said "absolutely!" Then I asked my vet who concurred.

It's an experiment, if it goes wrong, he's my baby, but if he gets it done with zero issues, then his career started early and we will have a calf.

NEFarmwife said:
Son of Butch said:
100% is an unrealistic goal and will always lead to disappointment.
I know nothing of Kentucky, but the heat and humidity has been close to unbearable here this week.

I think it's unbearable everywhere. Good Lord. I need gills.

It cracked 75 today here, really no humidity, might hit 80 tomorrow, lows will be in the 50's. There are two distinct seasons to live in the NW, summer and winter....but to be fair we only have two seasons.