The Problem With Customer Service...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Is that you can't get any. Yesterday was my son's 13th birthday. He knew what he wanted, and being as I am 43 and stump dumb on these matters, just took him to wallie world to let him pick it out himself. That was my first mistake, I realize...

He wants a Nintendo DS, which is a hand held gaming system. Good for car trips. They are kept locked in a display case. I told the boy, once he had located what he wanted, to find a friendly sales associate and ask politely if he/she could unlock said display case.

I stood there waiting for some time. No one came. Boy comes down the aisle with no friendly sales associate. I asked him what was up and he said no one would listen to him. Now, he's a little shy, so I tell him to go back one more time. This time I followed him. He asked a guy in the blue vest if he could unlock the display case so he could get a DS.

Guy look right at him and walked away.

So then there are four, count 'em FOUR people in blue vests standing by the rigister. Now, it is not a busy day in electronics and there are no customers. They are all talking about something of great import. I send Boy out there. I stand at a distance to watch.

Boy asked for help, no one acts like they heard him. Boy repeats request. Same response. I prompt Boy to ask again. This time, someone WAVES HIM OFF and says "Just a second".

Then all four of them walk off. I have now made eye contact with the cashier, a little blonde thing of about 17, who jumps into action, asking guy walking away if he could help Boy. Guy walks off.

I had had enough at this point. I stepped out and asked when anyone was ever going to assist this PAYING CUSTOMER, who wants to spend 129.99. I asked to speak to the department manager, who was one of the people who had walked away... I remended him that WalMart was founded on the principles of value and customer service. I told them that their customer service sucks and that I would not be trading with this store again, and I would tell everyone I know.

You've been told. Man, I hate going all Mama on someone. There are a lot of ignorant folks out there. I'm going to shop online as much as I can from now on.

Lammie":3msgsbo3 said:
I remended him that WalMart was founded on the principles of value and customer service. I told them that their customer service sucks and that I would not be trading with this store again, and I would tell everyone I know.

I suspect that all of the employees got a good laugh out of this afterwards. It is rare that employees in retail care about their employer as their employer cares nothing for them. Do you think they really care (or even know about) WalMart's principles? You would be better off appealing to their personal sense of morality.

sjeffery":3lpaz8w7 said:
Lammie":3lpaz8w7 said:
I remended him that WalMart was founded on the principles of value and customer service. I told them that their customer service sucks and that I would not be trading with this store again, and I would tell everyone I know.

I suspect that all of the employees got a good laugh out of this afterwards. It is rare that employees in retail care about their employer as their employer cares nothing for them. Do you think they really care (or even know about) WalMart's principles? You would be better off appealing to their personal sense of morality.

No, and I don't care. What I care about is getting my stuff and getting out of there as fast as possible.

I did used to work at Target. Started as a cashier and ended as an Area Manager. So I know a little bit about customer service. And I know that at all three stores I worked, ignoring a customer like that would have gotten my a$$ chewed. That was 20 years ago, though, so who knows? Maybe being lazy and rude to someone with money in hand is in vogue right at the moment.

Welcome to Wal Mart.

I will spend double the money somewhere else to keep from having to go there. :mad:

MikeC":2y4vnvmh said:
Welcome to Wal Mart.

I will spend double the money somewhere else to keep from having to go there. :mad:

You know, I stayed away for the longest time. I guess I should just get kicked for going back. I think it is like that everywhere.

That is what I like so much about Maw and Paw businesses. They are glad to see me when I come in. They love me spending my nickels in their stores. They want to help me and they want me to come back.

Wal-Mart will sell you a cheap lawnmower and stock no parts to repair it with. I hate the place but occasionally have to go there to get something. The whole time I am in the store I am miserable and feeling guilty for being there.

There are no maw and pop stores around here that sell that kind of thing. They can't compete. Not in electronics, at any rate. In this town, there isn't a wallie world, but there are no clothing stores, no electronic stores, no furniture stores. There are hardware, feed, and two grocery stores and I use them. What we have here mainly are donut shops and dollar stores. A town of less than 3000 has three dollar stores. Used to be five. We also have at least three donut shops that I can think of. So I guess we are fat and cheap... :roll:

I guess it depends on your store. One of the things that always surprises me at our WalMart is how helpful and knowledgable the employees are. I don't think I've ever asked one for help that they weren't able to send me (or lead me) directly to it.

We don't go very often, though I've noticed we're going to WalMart more now that we did last year. I hate the big parking lot and the long check out lines. But it's becoming the only place in town to get some stuff and while I'm there, I might as well pick up a few groceries.

Lammie, aren't there some new stores in Burleson besides WalMart?

Here in Stephenville, WalMart pretty well has that kind of item sewn up...absolutely zero competition.

Maybe Alice Walton is doing the customer service training for the stores now. That woman is a b*tch with a capital B.

Alice

Lammie":10suoe0e said:
I have now made eye contact with the cashier,
i can almost feel the burn of this 'eye contact'. :lol:

we only buy food at wal mart.
i have a wal mart 40 miles west, 30 miles to the northeast, and 60 to the northwest. and actually none of them have really wiped out anything local, surprising enough.

Alice":oejql4en said:
That woman is a b*tch with a capital B.

Alice

Alice, we have more to agree about. She has got the legislature to invoke lots of regulations since she moved to our neck of the woods. I wish she'd leave the Brazos River alone.

Alice":2orv475y said:
Lammie, aren't there some new stores in Burleson besides WalMart?

Here in Stephenville, WalMart pretty well has that kind of item sewn up...absolutely zero competition.

Maybe Alice Walton is doing the customer service training for the stores now. That woman is a b*tch with a capital B.

Alice

Yes, but we were there driving past it and he wanted to get his present now. You know how that goes. I don't normally go into the one in Burlseon. There is one in Cleburne that is much better as far as helpful people go.

In Burleson/Fort Worth, there is Best Buy, Game Stop, and Target that would have had what I wanted. I was also picking up school supplies, which Target would have had, but not the other two. I had never bought anything electronic at that location before. I have leaned my lesson.

My experience at managing people in general is that I believe that the work ethic no longer exists, or it has taken a dive. Not just young people, either. There are some really motivated youngsters out there who make great hands. People of just about all ages, really, who are of the age where they can work just don't all seem to do as good a job. They don't take ownership of their workplace. I believe that this sense of ownership is key. "This is my department and it is the best department in this store. Of all stores..."

A job has become a place where you have to go to and not a place to have pride in. I see this all the time. People spend more time and effort trying to avoid work than they do working. And it is far easier just to do your job!

I think too many people aren't rewarded for "taking ownership of their workplace." I know a young man who helped build a business from practically nothing to a $3-4 million dollar year organization. He really devoted 15 years of his life to it. The owner pretty much turned it over to him to run the last eight years. He got a good salary, but spent 12-18 hours a day there. When he finally burned out and left, the owner didn't even show up to say thank you, much less some sort of bonus. I also know some local ranchers who complain that they can't hire any full time help. I can see why. They work from dawn to dusk, seven days a week. That's fine; it's their ranch, their future. But most employees want a life, too. They're not motivated to work the same hours. Wages for middle income employees have been stuck for years, barely keeping up with inflation. Jobs aren't the life time committments they used to be. I don't expect to see people make the committments to employers they used to make when employers aren't making the same committments.

We have one local store that is run by a man and his wife and they don't have a clue about customer service. They act like its up to you to find what you want and then let them know. We went in for a lawnmower blade, which they did find but while that was going on, I found a refrigerator I was interested in and called my husband over to look it over. Neither one of them moved a muscle to come sell me that fridge but waited patiently until we came back to the counter to pay for the blade. We left shaking our head over their salesmanship abilities.

I agree, Frankie. I was thinking about my experience at MHMR, where at least people had benefits and a chance at advancement.

My dad was a ranch foreman for 20 years. He was the only full time employee. A doctor owned the ranch. Dad worked hard all the time. We never vacationed, we had a real simple life. He took a lot, and mean a LOT of pride in the Live Oak and in working for Doc. Doc promised Dad the moon. A job forever, a place to retire, and we always had our own animals in addition to Doc's. He had great facilities, too. Provided us with a house to live in. If we were sick, Doc made house calls. He lived right down the road.

One day, Doc came to Dad and said that his acountant had told him that the ranch was no longer a good investment and he just fired Dad. And that was it. We had no place to go. That was all Dad had done for a living. He took ownership, but he really wasn't the owner. I don't think he ever really got over it.

I can see what you are talking about. It just doesn't cost a cent nor any effort to be friendly and helpful if that's what you are getting paid to do.

Haven't been to Wal Mart except recently. Friend needed some medication, other then that I don't shop there. 4th of July my Mom sent me there for a gallon of 2% milk. It was $4.00 :shock: Our local town store was selling the same thing for $3.68.
Ran into the same thing with rude clerks, but it was at a Ace Hardware. Walked in to get a couple of curtain rods. Looking down the aisles walked past about 6 clerks, you could tell I was looking for something. Never asked if I needed help.
Finally had enough went to the cashier and asked for a manager. Took him 20 minutes to come to the front, by that time I was steamin. Told him what happened and one of the clerks that ignored me butted in and told him that she thought I didn't need help. Went back once more same thing. Clerks talking and ignoring the customers. The other Ace store I never had a problem in, just the new one.

Lammie":1tygjyuu said:
I agree, Frankie. I was thinking about my experience at MHMR, where at least people had benefits and a chance at advancement.

My dad was a ranch foreman for 20 years. He was the only full time employee. A doctor owned the ranch. Dad worked hard all the time. We never vacationed, we had a real simple life. He took a lot, and mean a LOT of pride in the Live Oak and in working for Doc. Doc promised Dad the moon. A job forever, a place to retire, and we always had our own animals in addition to Doc's. He had great facilities, too. Provided us with a house to live in. If we were sick, Doc made house calls. He lived right down the road.

One day, Doc came to Dad and said that his acountant had told him that the ranch was no longer a good investment and he just fired Dad. And that was it. We had no place to go. That was all Dad had done for a living. He took ownership, but he really wasn't the owner. I don't think he ever really got over it.

I can see what you are talking about. It just doesn't cost a cent nor any effort to be friendly and helpful if that's what you are getting paid to do.

It's a shame to see someone treated like your Dad, Lammie. It must have been very hard for him. Just the loss of trust would have been a shock. I went to school with several kids who lived in oil "company houses". As their folks retired or lost their jobs, they were faced with trying to buy a house with just their retirement money/Social Security. It was difficult for several that we knew.

My niece worked at WalMart for a while. They opened a new store and she got in on the ground floor. There were extensive training sessions for the new employees. I think just good manners would be a plus in a store clerk. Could you just stand around and not offer to help someone who looked like they needed help? I couldn't.

But if anyone had treated my kid that way, I'd have to get involved, too. Does he like the game, though? I've been thinking about getting one.

He loves it. I like it because it is back-lit, so not as much of a strain to the eyes.

Actually, this is his 2nd one. He got the first at Christmas, but he took it to school, a teacher took it up, and it was misplaced and never located. I wrote it up to lesson learned. I told him it was his fault for losing it. I told him he'd have to save for it if he wanted another one. But since it was his birthday, and he only wanted that, what the heck! He likes it because you can play with other people across the room or bus or whatever.

I did tell him that he would have to pay for half of the xbox 360 he wants. He's got some calf money in the bank. My kids are both tight with their own money! ;-)

We go to Wal Mart late Sat. nights for groceries. While my wife is getting groceries I would walk around in hardware, sporting, automotive, etc. to see what they have. I can't buy if I don't know about a new item.

Last several months they started playing this obnoxious screeching music. Now sometimes I just go ourtside and wait. It is irritating and I know it gets on the nerves of some of the cashiers.
I am told headquarters pipes it in and nothing they can do about it.

Any of you have this problem?

Latest posts