the little booger

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
Just a question, not a problem. We have a calf that gets out of the pasture, goes into the hayfield and eats the only green grass found, and it is growing up through ant beds. When we feed or put out hay, she comes back. Even if we open the gate, she slips through the ONE area of loose wire that is within some bushes.... Mama cow has PLENTY of milk. We see her sucking and has a "milk face" often. What would make a calf do this? Just smart or lacking something? Thoughts? :?:

lakading":1xauqur7 said:
NewCowboy":1xauqur7 said:
What would make a calf do this? Just smart or lacking something? Thoughts? :?:

Fence in need of repair. :) ;-)
I knew someone would tell me that. Since the slight dip in the barbed wire is in a big bushy tree, my papaw doesn't seem to be bothered by it. No big cows get in there. It is still one of our pastures, we cut hay off of it. She isn't really getting "out" onto a road or someone elses land. Maybe we will fix it this spring.....maybe. 8)

NewCowboy":3t6v8urv said:
lakading":3t6v8urv said:
NewCowboy":3t6v8urv said:
What would make a calf do this? Just smart or lacking something? Thoughts? :?:

Fence in need of repair. :) ;-)
I knew someone would tell me that. Since the slight dip in the barbed wire is in a big bushy tree, my papaw doesn't seem to be bothered by it. No big cows get in there. It is still one of our pastures, we cut hay off of it. She isn't really getting "out" onto a road or someone elses land. Maybe we will fix it this spring.....maybe. 8)

SORRY. Couldn't resist. Just havin a little fun. :D

lakading":3mwa0cgl said:
[SORRY. Couldn't resist. Just havin a little fun. :D

But sooooo true about the fence.....I enjoy getting replies. I didn't think you were being mean or anything. When I read my own post, that is the first thing I said.... :lol:

Little ones slipping through holes is bad news. She's a smart one and she'll be trying it from now on. Lop some limbs and patch that hole to preclude this asap. Wire a panel to it from the other side. Do something. You can always "go back in the spring" as you suggested and fix the fence, but you need to ensure this calf doesn't develop this habit "as a norm".

I have a neighbor who has several cross fences that are a joke. They need to be removed or else fixed. Every single cow he has thinks they can cross anything. I help him work his cows periodically. It is a mess. Those cows jump the working pens, hang up on top of them and roll out, injure themselves and everything else you can imagine. He has good wroking pens. Some of his cows get over 6 foot pipe panels. You have to see it to believe it. Anyway, it is all developed from habit of going across or through poor cross fences.

Good cows will see one of their peers on the "grass greener on the other side" and start looking for a gate or hole. The next thing you know the whole bunch will be over there.

Keep your fences in good repair.

We have a neighbour that has the worst fences in the county. Use to have a small calf do the same. As it grew it figured it could fit thru the same small hole. one day she could'nt and ended up getting stuck and somehow cutting off her air. Lesson to be learnt. Fix the fence while she is still with you.

Whiskyb

Have to agree...fix the fence now. How many fences will she tear up trying to get out when she's 1000 plus lbs cause she learned that she can push her way through as a calf.
This could be one of thoes excapees that will always find the weak spot in your fences...and take the rest of the herd with her. Dmc

fix the fence now. nip it in the bud. we have two heifers now that did that as calves and we let them b/c they kept the grass mowed around the barn. one would actually limbo under the gate. they are two of the best heifers but i will probably have to sell them b/c now they are big and think they can go whereever they want to b/c we basically taught them that it was ok. they used to get out b/c they could, now they get out b/c they just feel like it. its our fault and its a shame. the whole bunch will be out one morning b/c of them.

I have a neighbor who has several cross fences that are a joke. They need to be removed or else fixed. Every single cow he has thinks they can cross anything. I help him work his cows periodically. It is a mess. Those cows jump the working pens, hang up on top of them and roll out, injure themselves and everything else you can imagine. He has good wroking pens. Some of his cows get over 6 foot pipe panels. You have to see it to believe it. Anyway, it is all developed from habit of going across or through poor cross fences.

Good cows will see one of their peers on the "grass greener on the other side" and start looking for a gate or hole. The next thing you know the whole bunch will be over there.

Keep your fences in good repair.[/quote]

Probably are limi's..... ;-) :lol: :cboy:

Thank you for your replies. You are all absolutely right. I talked to my dad and we were going to fix the fence today and cut that bush off of the fence but it has been raining hard all day. We have been under flood watches. :mad: It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow and he says we will fix it then. :) Cows are definitely smarter than I ever thought and remember things well.

:cboy:

NewCowboy":3eag0j6t said:
Thank you for your replies. You are all absolutely right. I talked to my dad and we were going to fix the fence today and cut that bush off of the fence but it has been raining hard all day. We have been under flood watches. :mad: It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow and he says we will fix it then. :) Cows are definitely smarter than I ever thought and remember things well.

:cboy:

Good to get this done soon -you may already have created a "fence crawler" - time will tell - if it is so, then there is only one solutiuon - ship her because you will be patching a lot of fence over the next few years.

Bez!

Latest posts