The last move!

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Opened up the final section of stockpiled pasture for the cows today. 15 head grazing about 30 acres for a month now and I'm figuring I've got at least one or two more weeks before I start feeding hay. I have only set out two rolls so far and that was due to forecasted snow. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with how this has turned out. I've not pushed them hard at all as I've not even had the fence hot for about two weeks but no ones crossed it.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/3hdzj4oys/

I think I have enough for maybe 10 more days. One more paddock to turn into. Sure is nice when its pouring rain to just look out over them instead of making tracks in the mud.

kenny thomas said:
I think I have enough for maybe 10 more days. One more paddock to turn into. Sure is nice when its pouring rain to just look out over them instead of making tracks in the mud.

It sure takes a load off of you at times. I know not everyone can do it, but if you have the chance to try it you should. It can be very simple.

southernultrablack said:
kenny thomas said:

It sure takes a load off of you at times. I know not everyone can do it, but if you have the chance to try it you should. It can be very simple.
It's became a way of life for me. Tuesday night I turned 22 cows, 10 calves, and 2 bulls into a 3 acre paddock. I knew I was going in the hospital the next morning for a heart catheterization. I had worries but that group of cattle was not one of the worries. Next weekend I'm going to the farm show so will turn into the next paddock Thursday night. That will last them another week.

Guys, I'm in the same general area, southern middle TN. I've been interested in trying this later this year but am wondering on timing. I have a mixed fescue, bermuda, clover pastures. When do you decide to take the cows off and no longer clip the pastures? I'm wondering on the calendar date range and what height you let the grass get to?

JMER1533 said:
Guys, I'm in the same general area, southern middle TN. I've been interested in trying this later this year but am wondering on timing. I have a mixed fescue, bermuda, clover pastures. When do you decide to take the cows off and no longer clip the pastures? I'm wondering on the calendar date range and what height you let the grass get to?
Bushhogged in July, turned cows in early January. Probably not ideal, but I just let it grow all it could.

southernultrablack, did you mean to post a reply? Any ideas on a date range you use?

It's at the bottom of response. Bushhogged in July and turned cows in early January

I would like to add that it should be bushhogged/clipped before the stems get brown if possible.....that helps keep the fescue from going dormant. Also, you can flash graze it 2 or 3 times during the summer and fall and it won't hurt it a bit....might even help it. After fescue gets big cattle will only eat the tops of it(unless forced to eat more) which in turn will stimulate fresh new growth.

If the fescue gets ahead of me early I bush hog before July 4th. I try my best to graze the area that I am going to stockpile by around August 15-30. Some do earlier. I spread Urea by the first week of September at 125 lb of urea per acre. Even if I have to feed hay in November and early December I try not to start grazing till December 20. I unrolled a roll tonight even though they still have some grass left.

kenny thomas said:
If the fescue gets ahead of me early I bush hog before July 4th. I try my best to graze the area that I am going to stockpile by around August 15-30. Some do earlier. I spread Urea by the first week of September at 125 lb of urea per acre. Even if I have to feed hay in November and early December I try not to start grazing till December 20. I unrolled a roll tonight even though they still have some grass left.

Back in '09 I had a field with at least 6 weeks worth of fescue in it that I had just turned into, and we got 30" of snow on December 18. Didn't see that grass for close to a month, and by that time it was so matted down and flat the cows had little interest in it. You ever had anything similar?

Letting summer grass pasture stockpile was a big help for me this winter with a limited amount of hay put up and it hard to find I will do the same thing this year but plan to buy more hay and I will also plant more rye grass on another pasture.

Latest posts