The good, the bad...and the Corriente

Help Support CattleToday:

MO-Ruminants

Reaction score
Reviving the Corriente discussion.

Who has had experience with Corriente Cattle? Bash them or praise them based on your experience.

They have horns, they have no rear end, they are ugly etc. etc.

Burke Teichert once remarked "They never get sick and they always get pregnant".

MO-Ruminants said:

Who has had experience with Corriente Cattle? Bash them or praise them based on your experience.

Burke Teichert once remarked "They never get sick and they always get pregnant".
And that creates more junky corriente cattle.

TexasBred said:
MO-Ruminants said:

And that creates more junky corriente cattle.
And the neighbors bull will always pass a BSE. With flying colors ..a body like peewee Herman.. with a scrotal Circumference of 37..

one of my buddy's corriente angus crosses... bred to the right bull she actually makes decent looking calves.. I like cows with nice horns, though I wouldn't have a herd of them. They don't go through fences too much.. Over on the other hand.... yup.

Nesikep said:
one of my buddy's corriente angus crosses... bred to the right bull she actually makes decent looking calves.. I like cows with nice horns, though I wouldn't have a herd of them. They don't go through fences too much.. Over on the other hand.... yup.
She's a decent looking cow..do you know the average birthweights on her calves?

Her calves are up and *GONE* as soon as they can, she's not a docile momma, so weighing calves isn't gonna happen.. Her last bull calf he never did manage to catch and band.. Turned out looking just like dad.

We're not getting alot of raving reviews here. I was considering a follow up question about using cheap/tough/ugly Corriente cows to breed up to a specific type of cattle over several generations, but will refrain for fear of rotten produce being thrown.

Example:
Red Angus Bulls over Corriente cows. (two breeding pastures)
Heifer offspring bred back to Red Angus bulls from opposite breeding pasture
Cull/Select intensively and repeat

Why not just start with Red Angus cows and save the wasted years? Lower initial investment for cash-strapped would-be's.

Looks like I didn't refrain afterall.

MO-Ruminants said:
We're not getting alot of raving reviews here. I was considering a follow up question about using cheap/tough/ugly Corriente cows to breed up to a specific type of cattle over several generations, but will refrain for fear of rotten produce being thrown.

Example:

Why not just start with Red Angus cows and save the wasted years? Lower initial investment for cash-strapped would-be's.

That's like buying a brand new pickup and buying some used may-pops to keep the cost down. What was the point of the new truck?

It's simple math and always has been.
Back forty calves bring low prices through the barn. Calves that grade a premium.
Your trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear IMO.

they may be the only kind that can survive (read: thrive) in some environments

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2015/02/10/criollo-drought-cows
https://s3.amazonaws.com/peaktechnologysolutions/corriente/website/beef/USDA_Criollo_Grazing_Study.pdf

They have their place in rough country for sure!, but if you're in better land, start with a more suited cow... Unless you'd use them as ET recips, you'll see the corriente in the calves for YEARS!

I would take up sewing before raising cattle on country that can only support corriente cattle (even though I have yet to see that country). Unless your in that niche of selling or renting them for roping its a waste. There are too many other breeds, composites, and crosses to choose from. I believe in low costs, low maintenance, etc but messing with correnties is past a point of no return and I have never seen it pan out. The LH x Char deal makes way more sense to me even though I still think it is unnecessary.

MO-Ruminants said:

Example:

Now I must ask "WHY"?? What is your goal??

let's do the math

Low input, Corriente/Angus cross cows(better than straight LH cows) x Charolais bull = $$$

There's always some smart@$$ thinks everybody else is stupid in Agriculture. Remember the internet geniuses who bought up farm land during $13 corn a few years back?

Your chances of fooling the sale barn, the buyers, and other cattlemen with Corriente or Corriente crossed cattle are 0%.

JWBrahman said:
Your chances of fooling the sale barn, the buyers, and other cattlemen with Corriente or Corriente crossed cattle are 0%.
Oh boy, if only that was true.

You know the saying "There's a sucker born every minute" and you will find plenty at the barns

Neighbor B had 80 fall pairs in my front pasture this winter. The cows were a little of everything. From registered Angus and Char cows that bred late and got moved to the fall herd to 4 or 5 Corriente cows. He team ropes. I am certain these were heifers that got roped. Once they out grew the roping string they just got kicked out with a bull. The entire herd was bred to Char bulls. If those Corriente cross calves weren't nursing on the cow you couldn't pick them out from the rest of the calves. They looked and were doing great. That said I don't want a herd of Corriente cows. In his case he owned them. They weren't worth much to sell. And the calves they raise are worth a lot more than the cows were as over grown roping cattle.