The Aussie Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

About and hour and a half west of Brisbane. Getting fairly close to the Darling Downs, but not quite there.

So in short SE QLD.

Oh, well I know of a few studs around there.
Have you ever seen any of The Grove cattle at Brissie? They've got some good stock.
One of our bulls was at the Ekka this year.. placed 3rd in the class but the judge commented on the fact that he was the most structurally sound bull in the class, could easily have won it with another judge but just wasn't the type he was going for.

Nah I wasn't able to see the Shorthorn judging. I was down there on the day that they weren't on, can't remember if it was Thursday or Friday :p

I have heard of The Grove quite a bit though...

I'll be making sure I'm down there for all the judging next year. The first week with Angus & Hereford, then the second week with Dexters, so I'll get to see them next year.

Yes, The Grove have quite a reputation. They've been breeding a few Shortie/Char x bulls and getting good money for them... I think they've done some Droughtie x's too.
Hopefully I'll be able to get up there next year if I change courses... nearly got there this year but just couldn't afford the time off after Adelaide and before Jindabyne and Perth.

Hopefully you will be able to get up here. It'd be great to see another CT member up there.

The shorties seem to do pretty well up here, with the interbreed comps, and the steers.

Yes the steers seem to do quite well. If only they did as well on Adelaide. that's what I'm actually working on right now... letter to schools making some suggestions for them, it's such a shame seeing good steers do badly because the teachers and kids just don't have any idea.

I think it'd be really good if us Aussie CT members caught up somewhere... we should make an effort to do so!!

That's sorta like with our school.

Although our teacher is the one that doesn't really show any interest, us kids put in 110% and all but 1 or 2 know what we're doing.

I'm all in for the meet-up, that'd be pretty cool. It'd be great to put a face with the name :D

We should try organise something... if we're all gonna be at Sydney maybe we should try something there.
Or we could do something like Crowder's get-together! lol

Yeah sounds good, Sydney sounds like the most realistic at the moment.

Either way we should organise something, it'd be good fun.

Yes, now all we need is for everyone else to join in here!! This might as well be our own little private forum!

Yeah may aswell.

It seems that the others aren't on for to long, whereas we're on for hours! :p

Anyway, I've gotta get some sleep I'm stuffed, been fixin fences since getting home from school at 4 til around 7, and on top of school it's tired me out a bit.

G'night Carla!

So how was everyone's day today..

I had school. Boring........

The Year 12's finish up tomorrow, kinda hard to believe some of my mates are leaving for the last time.

Wow you guys really got this thread going! I wish I'd stuck around longer but I'd worked all day and had given myself half an hour before starting to study for today's exam. So anyway, I'll put in my two cents . . .

That weather was shocking! We got hail every hour for about 10 minutes each time. There wasnt even any water in it, for the whole day we got about three mls. Let me tell you, mustering stock in the hail is not fun, the goats were just trying to hide behind their bale, the calves sat down and wouldn't go, the dog took off back to its kennel . . . oh it was a great day.

Actually speaking of dogs and the weather, funny story. Yesterday after we got back from the mustering, walked past where one of the dogs is normally tied, and she wasn't there and neither was her (plastic) kennel. She is the only one not tied to a tree, she's tied to the kennel and the kennel was tied to the fence, but not anymore. Found her and the kennel about 50m away. Funniest look on her face :lol:

By the way, it was 1 degree in melb.

Yeah bek, I wouldn't take the year off unless you are really good at school work. I didn't take the year off but a lot of people in my course did and they are having a helluva time getting the maths and chem parts back. It seems like if you go straight to uni you are still in the school mode of studying etc. Also I deal heaps better with exams than others. On the other hand, maybe I wouldn't be so broke if I'd worked a year! I did Cert III Ag in yr 11 and 12 too, but none of it is recognised in my course.

Because I was basically running my high school show team and the other kids were pretty young and new to it all, I always ended up with the 'misunderstood' steers. But it is true that they turn out better to parade than the others, cos they're more alert and they don't go to sleep on your shoulder in the ring.

Wow, I've written a lot!

Hey Bek, whats with the weird time you posted?

I posted at a weird time :?:
What do ya mean by that.

Snow in Queensland today!!!! On the Granite Belt, first time in 50 years it's snowed there!

I'm doing this rural training thing next year, and I've gotta find a host property, let's just say it's been fun........and I still haven;t found one. I'm running out of ideas!

Here's some info on it http://www.rite.com.au

Oh, I didn't look at my posts, they have a weird time too. They say its about 3.30am this morning. Must be the time difference thing. When I read yours and carlas posts from the other night and it said 6.35am and I read it as in the evening, I wondered why you were going to bed to so early lol!

Lol ok, yeah they must be set on the american times.

Has anyone else got anymore shows this year.

We don't have any til February next year, with the Clifton All Breeds Heifer Show.

Sorry bek, my computer booted me off last night. Guess I'd been on too long. I haven't got any shows till feb, theres a one day event then about a week later canberra. But there's plenty of cattle (and goats!) to break in before then so I'll be busy.

I'm back.

What a bl@@dy day yesterday... got woken early with a phone call from mum to say there was something wrong with her old horse (34years!). Anyway, while I was getting sorted to go home, she called up our neighbour (who's a vet) to come have a look at him. Turned out the poor old b@stard had a lump of what we think was grass stuck in his pharynx. The poor old guy has hardly any teeth left and has been handfed for the last 5 years which is the only reason he's still going. The only way we could have possibly got it out was to operate, and even that was a slim chance. Putting any fluids down there would have drowned him as it would have gone straight to his lungs.

Anyway, mum called back in an absolute mess to get me to go home to do the deed. So long story short, I had to go home and help put down old Arrow, who's been in the family longer than I have (mum got him when she was about 13). What a day!

Then I went to get my pregnant mare to keep the other pony company, and she was starting to bag up. So now, I'm waiting on this foal to FINALLY come. Whew! I'm stuffed!!

In answer to Bek, I think I may have one or two shows down the SE, not quite sure though. I'm heading down on Monday to break in the bulls and it would be good to get at least half of them to a few shows.

Other than that, I don't have any more til March next year. I'm still gonna have a busy summer ahead of me though!!

Latest posts