The 2015 Turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot, a modified choke works great, just keep the shots under 25 yards. I like to shoot #6 shot, but I haven't shot a turkey over 30 yards in years.

Modifieds are for flying birds. They dont put enough in the right spot for turkeys. The right loads will do good close or not with the right choke. Aim it like a rifle and he will be good at any range. Maybe he will be able to get one of those big ones before season is out. Maybe your daughter can kill one of those big ones also. Good luck.

Bigfoot, having been on your place and knowing the lay of your land I'd agree that you need full choke or a turkey choke with that 20 gauge. I don't think I'd hunt your place with a 12 gauge without at least a full choke. :lol2:

If your daughter is hitting everything she aims at she's doing a lot better than Shane. :lol2:

Bigfoot":25oxlu2e said:
Deepsouth":25oxlu2e said:
Bigfoot, I know what you have on your farm but that's still a good bird. I don't think Littlefoot's shooting is the problem, I believe in that bo., But Xtra3 may be right for once. He may be shooting them a little low. Tell him he wants to aim just below the head where he can still see the head just above his shotguns bead. If you switch to heavy shot , which I would, make sure you get a choke that's made to shoot it.

Thanks, I had no idea it took a special choke. I'll get them at a gun store instead Walmart, so I can get a little help.

I totally disagree on the magnum shells check your fps as most are slower reducing killing power.
I Still hunt with standard as most are higher velocity. More shot doesn't mean better patterns either.
Sometimes you get to the point of a shot string versus a shot pattern. You get to the point of trying to put
ten pounds of crap out a five pound hole. Full choke doesn't mean tighter pattern always can mean blown patterns as well.
No two shot guns are the same find what your gun likes and stick with it. No two chokes are the same even if marketed by the
same manufacture and are the same constriction. There is a ton of data on shot string versus pattern.
Today with American attitudes bigger is better a lot of these products are produced to get the hunter not the hunted.
I play with rifle reloading I am dead serious on shotgun and have my recipes that perform tested at BPI.
A shotgun shell is a system that can go south quick, shot column and powder burn rate along with wad and primer change one and it all changes. The 12 gauge was designed for 1 1/4 ounce 16 one ounce and the 20 for 7/8 barrel diameter hasn't changed over the last 100 years and neither has rated pressure. More shot means more pressure so slower burning powder.
You can also go to fast as the round pellet doesn't play well with the sound barrier breaking it either way that is the reason
it so important to pattern your gun.

I actually use an Improved Modified choke as it produces the best pattern.
You have no clue to what your shotgun is doing and pattern it at 40 yards on a pattern board with
different size shot and chokes.
example http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290056 ... lated-shot
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290039 ... lated-shot

Perfect load IMO
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290014 ... -oz-6-shot

Latest posts