The 2015 Turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
It's not a wall hanger, 10 inch beard, and short spurs. He shot a really big bird Saturday, looked like a righteous hit. Same story again Sunday. Both birds were really big, broom stick beards, and visible Spurs. Not sure why they didn't go down. Might need more gun IDK. Either way, it was great afternoon.

Bigfoot, shoot at some paper at varying yardage. Your choke might not agree with your shells. Once you find something your choke likes stick with it. I've found a bad box of shells from time to time as well, one box wouldn't penatrate paper at 30 yards On rotten plywood.

LRTX1":1wc4bk0m said:
Bigfoot, shoot at some paper at varying yardage. Your choke might not agree with your shells. Once you find something your choke likes stick with it. I've found a bad box of shells from time to time as well, one box wouldn't penatrate paper at 30 yards On rotten plywood.

Been using a Remington Nitro Magnum Load. Seems to throw a good pattern with a full choke. They are #6. A friend suggested a federal heavy 7. Both are 3 inch shells. All three birds were at 20-25 yards. The one he killed this evening, we had to run it down. Like to have not caught up with it. maybe they werent good hits, but they sure looked good.

Ask him where he's aiming. It's common to want to put the bead in the center of his head, half the shot will go over the top. I like to center up an inch or two below where his head screws onto his neck.

Check and see if his pattern is hitting high or low. May make a big difference. Number of shot in a pie plate size circle is good but if point of impact is low or high, he wounds not kills. I bet like someone said, he is hitting low with the pattern. Congrats to him on another fine bird. I have to ask, has he been practicing with a call? Also, did yall hunt them the Mississippi boys style? Lol. Congrats little foot. I hope one day to make it back up there and enjoy a hunt with you again.

Bigfoot, I know what you have on your farm but that's still a good bird. I don't think Littlefoot's shooting is the problem, I believe in that bo., But Xtra3 may be right for once. He may be shooting them a little low. Tell him he wants to aim just below the head where he can still see the head just above his shotguns bead. If you switch to heavy shot , which I would, make sure you get a choke that's made to shoot it.

Yes, he practices quit a bit. Oddly enough, I was trying my hand at the call when the bird came in.

Deepsouth":3v3gzynr said:
Bigfoot, I know what you have on your farm but that's still a good bird. I don't think Littlefoot's shooting is the problem, I believe in that bo., But Xtra3 may be right for once. He may be shooting them a little low. Tell him he wants to aim just below the head where he can still see the head just above his shotguns bead. If you switch to heavy shot , which I would, make sure you get a choke that's made to shoot it.

Thanks, I had no idea it took a special choke. I'll get them at a gun store instead Walmart, so I can get a little help.

I couldn't find the shells I wanted. Ended up with some Hornady 3" #5 nickel plated. Gun store guy said they wouldn't harm the choke. Think they will work?

Each gun and choke combo shoot differently but Hornady makes good ammo. I've shot 3" #5's for years. Downed several at or a little beyond 60 yards with this load.

J&D Cattle":14z1eypu said:
Each gun and choke combo shoot differently but Hornady makes good ammo. I've shot 3" #5's for years. Downed several at or a little beyond 60 yards with this load.

I think were going to carry two guns to the blind saturday. A modified for up close, and a full for far out. Gonna pattern both guns before we go.

Might as well take the BB Gun as well :lol2:. Full choke can work at pretty close to decent range, modified is probably not gonna unless you can reach him with your gun barrel. I'm happy he got one of the birds, nice bird. I would highly recommend buying a turkey choke. I use a bone collector choke. Indian Creek is suppose to be some good chokes. Wishing you all best of luck with the rest of the season.

Bigfoot":eoe8kwr6 said:
J&D Cattle":eoe8kwr6 said:

I think were going to carry two guns to the blind saturday. A modified for up close, and a full for far out. Gonna pattern both guns before we go.

If you are hunting out of a blind and have the room and the concealment no harm there. Good luck and nice bird.

FlyingLSimmentals":2sur7rtf said:
Might as well take the BB Gun as well :lol2:. Full choke can work at pretty close to decent range, modified is probably not gonna unless you can reach him with your gun barrel. I'm happy he got one of the birds, nice bird. I would highly recommend buying a turkey choke. I use a bone collector choke. Indian Creek is suppose to be some good chokes. Wishing you all best of luck with the rest of the season.

Although the limit is 2 birds, I usually stop my son at 1. Not real sure why I do that, I just do. He usually waits for a nice bird anyway. My youngest daughter is thinking about going. She's 7. Ive been having some jakes come peep in the blind. She might have a chance.

Bigfoot, is he using that same 20 guage that he used when we were up there? I would get you a good turkey choke. They have those choke shell combinations down to a science now. That full choke will work ok, but a turkey choke will extend the range and knock down of a gun. I know several men that use 20 guages for turkey hunting because it is lighter. Some choke/shell combinations will do the job out to 50 yards max. Check with a reputable gun store and they should be able to hook you up. I would love to see your daughter with her hands on one of those turkeys. I am glad she is interested too. You have the best spots for those kids. Before long, Little Foot will be chasing those things all over the country. He seems to love the hunting for sure.

shaneb":3fwvoth4 said:
Bigfoot, is he using that same 20 guage that he used when we were up there? I would get you a good turkey choke. They have those choke shell combinations down to a science now. That full choke will work ok, but a turkey choke will extend the range and knock down of a gun. I know several men that use 20 guages for turkey hunting because it is lighter. Some choke/shell combinations will do the job out to 50 yards max. Check with a reputable gun store and they should be able to hook you up. I would love to see your daughter with her hands on one of those turkeys. I am glad she is interested too. You have the best spots for those kids. Before long, Little Foot will be chasing those things all over the country. He seems to love the hunting for sure.

He is still using the little Bantam. Ive had a crazy week, but I am bringing a couple of big pieces of card board home today, to check the pattern on these new shells. I worry about him missing if I choke it down too much, but think a turkey choke is in our future.

Daughter has shot my 20 gauge double barrel some recently (on a shooting stick). Shes actually hitting everything she aims at. I've just been putting in trap loads don't want her flinching when she shoots the 3" magnums through his gun.

I'm not a gun guy, but I would have thought a modified would be good, if I can get these turkeys in close.

Latest posts