Thawing Meat

Help Support CattleToday:

mridgecattleco

Reaction score
Had to throw wout some pork ribs this morning.I sat them out to thaw yesterday evening and forgot to put em in the fridge before I went to bed. :bang: How long can pork be left out? I didn't wanna take a chance and make my company sick tonight, so I got rid of em.

My rule of thumb is this...
If the meat (any meat) is still cold (under 50 degrees) and its getting fully cooked (180+ internal) then I'll use it.
If the meat is room temp and was held at the danger zone temp (40-140 degrees) for more than 2 hours, it goes bye bye. Poultry is reduced to 1 hour at danger zone, fish 30 minutes.
Doesn't fully meet FDA recommendations for "safe food handling" rules, but I feel it's a pretty good practical rule for home cooking. :2cents:

I never set anything OUT to thaw. Way too many times I have forgotten about it.
I keep it in the refrigerator and speed thawing by setting it in water or on a cast iron pan.

If it wasn't cool I think you did right by throwing it-- peoples stomachs aren't near as resilient as they were years ago before refrigeration.

Anytime meat sets at room temperature for more than four hours you need to toss it. For a quick thaw you can set it in a pan or bowl and leave the COLD water trickling. The safest way is in the refrigerator at or below 40F.

For smaller pkgs. of meat, 2 lbs. or less, and quick thaw (like from morning to afternoon), I put the meat in a zip lock and then into a big bowl of water. Thaws fairly quickly and stays nice and cool.

One of the best calls you made IMO was throwing out the meat. That isn't something to mess around with, considering it can also create accusations against the source..

The bacterial growth rate in meat doubles for every degree of temperature above 29 to 30 degrees. In other words if it is 100ppm @ 30 degrees it is 200@31,400ppm @ 32, 800ppm@33. So by the time you get to room temp assuming a constant 75 degrees it has doubled 45 times. At what point do you think you don't want to eat that meat....? :help: :help: :help: :frowns:

Good call on throwing it out. :tiphat:

TennesseeTuxedo":33tpkolt said:
Drop a frozen turkey in the deep fryer and you'll have a real blast at you next Thanksgiving gathering.

Worked just fine - LOL I really did forget to thaw it so they cooked it frozen. It was really good. surprised it didn't overcook. The family teases me every year about it.
Valerie

PS. I actually prefer it cooked overnight in the oven, yes, starting at frozen solid.

Valerie, if you were going to take a turkey breast right out of the freezer, then into the oven, how long would you cook it per pound, and at what temp? Sounds SOOO much easier than the thawing process!

Kathie in Thorp":39ylr3sc said:
Valerie, if you were going to take a turkey breast right out of the freezer, then into the oven, how long would you cook it per pound, and at what temp? Sounds SOOO much easier than the thawing process!

It set the oven at 300* and start cooking about 10PM or midnight in the morning around 6-7 AM I check it, if not falling off the bone yet I increase temp to 350* usually done in time for lunch. We usually cook an 18-23lb turkey. I have never cooked x number of minutes per lb, always afraid of it not being done. I just got used to cooking it till it came from the bone easily... talk about tender. You will have to let it cool a bit in order to slice it lol.
Valerie

Kathie, wow good question.I cook roasts at 400* for about 4-5 hours, but not sure if turkey breast would cook the same time frame. You'll have to experiment. Give yourself plenty extra time for it to get done as you can always microwave reheat it or reheat in oven if done too early. Good luck!!
Valerie

Kathie in Thorp":3l30dg5i said:
Valerie, I already had the TB thawing in the fridge, so I'll have to try to the Frozen-to-Done experiment another time.
TB as in Tbone steak? I fry those in a pan frozen with a little olive oil on a fire so low it almost goes out. As steak starts to brown turn over and increase heat a little but still low. Takes about an hour , I like mine DONE!. I put seasoning salt on when still froze.
Valerie

Latest posts