Thanksgiving Meal

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
With Thanksgiving next week I was curious how do most people cook their Turkey? I love it fried and smoked is good too but don't care for that crap that comes out of the oven.

What sides do you like? I love the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and deviled eggs. Not a fan of stuffing, cranberry, or that gravy.

Got to love those good yeast rolls with butter and honey.

What is the best pie to finish it off? Pecan, coconut cream, banana cream, key lime, butterscotch, buttermilk or lemon meringue are my favorite but I will eat sweet potato or pumpkin pie with whip cream.

Like the ham better...Sides,,sweet tater casserole,Mac and cheese,deviled eggs, corn.. Pecan pie for sure... And pumpkin if there's room left for it...

ALACOWMAN":mx6va3x1 said:
Like the ham better...Sides,,sweet tater casserole,Mac and cheese,deviled eggs, corn.. Pecan pie for sure... And pumpkin if there's room left for it...

Great minds think alike you forgot the armadillo eggs along with the stuffed jalapeños, that might be a Texas thing.

A green bean casserole is kind of a family tradition here. Having left over turkey stuffing with gravy the next day is
one of the best things ever, and anyone that has ever served dressing with raisins in it needs to be flogged.

wbvs58":1h6nu153 said:
Do they grow enough turkeys for every family to get one?
Ken
Worthington, Mn is called the Turkey Capital of the world and Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes
(and 45 million turkeys) :) ranks #1 in the nation in turkey production and processing.

Hormel reported Jennie-O Turkey its' most profitable division with an operating profit of over $4 per bird.

Caustic Burno":22qveffk said:
ALACOWMAN":22qveffk said:

Great minds think alike you forgot the armadillo eggs along with the stuffed jalapeños, that might be a Texas thing.
No doubt, whats armadillo eggs ?? Just looked it up,, sounds like some good eating...

Not big on store bought turkey, rather have ham or a smoked venison ham. This year we're having smoked prime rib of beef. Sweet tater casserole with melted marshmallows on top is the vegetable of choice here. Dessert is what makes Thanksgiving for me, a Kahlua chocolate chip pudding cake is #1, and pumpkin pie a close second.

Caustic Burno":rfkjfzkm said:
ALACOWMAN":rfkjfzkm said:

X3.

Son of Butch":36uw11j6 said:
wbvs58":36uw11j6 said:
Do they grow enough turkeys for every family to get one?
Ken
Worthington, Mn is called the Turkey Capital of the world and Minnesota is known as the Land of 10,000 Lakes
(and 45 million turkeys) :) ranks #1 in the nation in turkey production and processing.

Hormel reported Jennie-O Turkey its' most profitable division with an operating profit of over $4 per bird.

As a youngster I lived just West of Worthington, and went to school there. They had an annual turkey parade. Farmers had hundreds of birds that they somehow got to go down the streets. As youngsters would, we got pea shooters and would do everything we could to get the birds to revolt!

Last time I was there I never saw the billboard outside of town notifying they were the turkey capital, so I thought maybe someplace outdid them.

Turkey is not served here as the wife's chicken and dressing remains number one. We will also serve ham. Funny, but faux mashed potatoes are requested by more than half this year and the rest is whatever people bring in.

One deep fried turkey... one conventional turkey... All the fixen's (love me some giblet gravy)!! And we always have my wife's homemade Banana Pudding (still warm from the oven)!

Not much on an old dry turkey. We usually have roast, and country ham. Dressing looked forward to however.

TN Cattle Man":1vz7k3wx said:
One deep fried turkey... one conventional turkey... All the fixen's (love me some giblet gravy)!! And we always have my wife's homemade Banana Pudding (still warm from the oven)!
love banana pudding hot or cold,,even in between... Grandma use to put pineapples in it too ,at times... Love fruit salad too with pecans...

We don't make turkey anymore. Nobody really likes it and once we realized they were just eating it for tradition we went to just making a ham. Dressing for sure. Whatever else is there will be fine. My wife makes a good pumpkin pie cheesecake I look forward to every year.

We brine the turkey (Alton Browns Brine) for about 12 hours and then throw her on the smoker. It turns out so yummy whether you cook it in the oven or smoke it but we love our smoker.

Pecan Pie, green bean casserole, REAL Cranberry sauce, a cornbread corn casserole, 10 containers of coolwhip (7 for pre-gaming, ha!), and deviled eggs (jalapeno)

I really don't know.

I've been in Little Rock now for a week and most likely will be putting my twin brother into hospice care in the next 24 hrs. It's been a long fight, and he's tired, really tired.

Latest posts