Thanksgiving deer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My son took this older buck Thankgiving afternoon with a neck shot at 230 yards. He let 8 walk the day before but decided to take this one cause he looked pretty thick. I estimate he is six years old and his rack is on the decline. I think he made the right call. Definitely not as good as some of the deer I see posted on the boards but for this area, he is well above average and not bad for a minnie-joe. Now if I could just get my sights on his cousin, I would show him what a wall-hanger is supposed to look like. ;-) :lol: However, I think his cousin has different ideas.

IMG_1716.jpg

good deal joe tell him congrat's on a nice deer.You keep holding out for the cousin he will mess up my money is on you. :)

rattler

That's a NICE buck, and a great shot. You tell that next generation Joe 8) He done good! passing on deer, waiting for a GOOD one. :D :D

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":rqv91q38 said:
Be great if they could each be holding the antlers on one they each shot. Good for your son ! Which one shot him anyway ?

My son shot him and he is on the right. Fella on left is Rossi. I put him in my honey hole stand this afternoon where there is a nice heavy racked 12 point (based on last year's rack). I have been hunting him all season but he is smart. Rossi had two does feeding in front of him and the big boy shows upwind of him. Rossi said he looked at the buck and the buck blew at him then dropped his head and vanished in the brush. He later circled the does and came back out again 30 minutes later but this time downwind of him. He blew again but this time he took off with the does. Rossi said this buck is much bigger than the one my son got yesterday. If its the one I think it is, he will definitely look good on somebody's wall. Gonna give him another try tomorrow.

Good shot and nice buck.
About 8am this morn an 8pt walked in on my feeder and couple minutes later another walked in.I sat there eyeballing them through my scope. I absouletly could not see any difference in them. They were identical both with a nice wide rack. I sure am leaning to the idea of not being so picky. But we'll see, got a little over a month yet. Only can shoot one buck and two doe here in montague co. Tx.

Cal

Calman, I know how you feel. I saw the big one last year while putting up fence. He just strolled across the field without a care in the world. Pulled my rifle out of the truck and scoped him from 75 - 300 yards for nearly five minutes as he just strolled away from me across the field. Almost like he was letting me know he was the man. Just couldn't bring myself to take him under those conditions. Just didn't seem like it would have been sporting. He and I know the game's afoot and he is the only reason I keep letting the others walk - but I'm getting impatient.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3dnzltog said:
You tell Rossi to bide his time and he will bag that big ole goodun or is it that good ole bigun. :lol:

He impressed me this afternoon. He let 12 walk. Pretty patient for a 16 year old.

Tell your son nice 230 yd shot! Don't you just hate it when you either A. Don't have the right weapon when the big one comes around, or B. Your not on your stand when you see the big one? Last year I was hunting my place with my .22 when a large buck with accompaning head gear sauntered across our property. Wrong weapon. Another time I was out in the grove and saw the same buck jump onto our place from the east, go through a willow thicket and then stand 5 yds from my ground blind. Had I been in that blind I would have drilled him. Again the same buck, a smaller buck, and a band of does ran onto our place opening day of shotgun season last year. I was feeding the horses when I saw them. This year I also bought a slug tag so I'm crossing my fingers.

ArrowHBrand":1p0dix8j said:
Tell your son nice 230 yd shot! Don't you just hate it when you either A. Don't have the right weapon when the big one comes around, or B. Your not on your stand when you see the big one? Last year I was hunting my place with my .22 when a large buck with accompaning head gear sauntered across our property. Wrong weapon. Another time I was out in the grove and saw the same buck jump onto our place from the east, go through a willow thicket and then stand 5 yds from my ground blind. Had I been in that blind I would have drilled him. Again the same buck, a smaller buck, and a band of does ran onto our place opening day of shotgun season last year. I was feeding the horses when I saw them. This year I also bought a slug tag so I'm crossing my fingers.

Good example of Murphey's Law. Sauntered is the word I would have used earlier if I had a better vocabulary. Very descriptive of the one I saw.

I guess its stuff like this that makes it interesting and makes us get up in the early hours and freeze. :lol:

Latest posts