Texas Ranch House

Help Support CattleToday:

OMG I hope my husband doesn't find out! They probably only want accountants and car salesman and not anyone who might actually know what they are doing. Not that my husband couldn't do it. I just don't want to be dragged into it!

Lammie":3k4mqndx said:
OMG I hope my husband doesn't find out! They probably only want accountants and car salesman and not anyone who might actually know what they are doing. Not that my husband couldn't do it. I just don't want to be dragged into it!

You can pretty much figure that any one who knows what it will really take to thrive in that environment, doesn't want to partake. The last bunch never even faced a prairie fire or really awful weather. I got to looking at their coral and thinking, that's going to burn down in a hurry. They didn't put a fire break around it etc.

There was so many things that could have been done.

The more clueless the participants are, the more interesting the show will be.

I think they should start a new series called "Redneck Trailer House". Take a family that lives in a nice gated community in Orange County Calif, and out them smack dab in the middle of the trailer park and expect them to survive for 6 months. No gold card, no Range Rover, no maid, no private schools, no tanning salons and no nails. Worst of all, no cosmetic surgeons! :shock: See what they do.

I know we touched on this in "The Simple Life", but I want to see a full 6 months.

And you can't take down the Christmas decorations either. And it's June.

As I stated I have only seen the two first episodes.

So what would you contribute the most to his failing? Was it his lack of experiance with Cattle and Ranch life? Or would have been more his not knowing how to control and motivate employees, wife and children? Or not knowing how to put a pencil to the paper to figure his cost and expenses well enough?

aplusmnt":5h99usv4 said:

So what would you contribute the most to his failing? Was it his lack of experiance with Cattle and Ranch life? Or would have been more his not knowing how to control and motivate employees, wife and children? Or not knowing how to put a pencil to the paper to figure his cost and expenses well enough?
im going too contribute it too him being a all around dumba$$

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boss just lets them ride away on "stolen" horses while calling them horse thieves? I was sure there was gonna be a gun fight but alas the "boss" had no balls.

MPR I have to disagree with you regarding the ranchers lack of "balls". He has them but apparently is only allowed to take them out of the drawer or use them whenever Mrs. Rancher says he can. My next comment is not going to win me a popularity contest with my fellow ladies but here goes - I'm pretty sure that way back in the old west women were pretty much seen and not heard. Mrs. Rancher ran the show. One other odd thing I noticed was when the rancher and the cowboys returned from the cattle drive Mrs. Rancher was running around outside in here underwear in full view, I believe that would have been unheard of had it been real-time.

aplusmnt":2hi4m1w3 said:

Is the old saying, "Behind every good man there is a good woman." He didn't have a very good woman, IMHO. His daughters were eat up with the lazy and I think they got it from mom. He himself wasn't a real go getter. I don't think he had people skills when it came to dealing with people either. He tried to play hardball with the Comanches, his hired hands, and the cattle buyers. Somehow he thought being good was being tough, with people. His hands wound up quitting on him but they finished the job they signed on to do.

He should have been rounding up more cattle. He should have figured out which cattle the army wanted and secured more of those. He should have ensured the house was run the way it needed to be run.

If he didn't have enough confidence in himself, he should have sought suggestions from someone who knew the ropes a bit better.

He, and his wife and kids, thought they did a good job.

he didn't even keep a good ledger.

I have to agree about Mrs Rancher. I think that back in those days she would have been too busy cooking and trying to keep her family alive. I had made a comment about the underwear thing, too.

I don't know, but I suspect that there were probably folks like that back then that tried to go out west and make a go of it and failed or died in the process. I think that if that family were back in that time they all would have starved, died of desease or been taken by the Comanches. I don't think that they would have made a go of it.

Lammie":1x0fhuvg said:
I don't think that they would have made a go of it.

Tools were not easy to come by. I am sure back then that tools were much better cared for. You couldn't just run down to Handy Man and grab a shovel or hoe. Pots, Pans and utensils were more treasured. The Cooke's values were all skewed in comparison to folks back then. You are right Lammie.

Just with watching the first two episodes, I got the idea in episode two that maybe that cook deserved the whooping that the Colonel supposedly gave him. After seeing the way he acted when the wife went down there and the way he talked.

Lammie":e8gv83hm said:
I think they should start a new series called "Redneck Trailer House". Take a family that lives in a nice gated community in Orange County Calif, and out them smack dab in the middle of the trailer park and expect them to survive for 6 months. No gold card, no Range Rover, no maid, no private schools, no tanning salons and no nails. Worst of all, no cosmetic surgeons! :shock: See what they do.

I know we touched on this in "The Simple Life", but I want to see a full 6 months.

They do have that- it's called 'wifeswap' naturally, they choose the two most opposite women tio swap families. it's a hoot

Yea, I have seen that show. It is a hoot. I have been thinking of applying for it, but I don't want to inflict some platinum card-wielding woman on my family. The last episode I saw was pretty good. The one where the two guys got into it an the end? Good stuff.

Some of those women would render me pitching a tent, until the stint is over. Other ones seem to have it totally together, making me wonder what they are doing signing up for that show in the first place.

I finely got to watch the series and had the following observations, which showed the change in the work ethic from then until today. It also showed some of the troubles we have today with upper management in some large companies and how they treat their employees.

At the start of the series, we had four women to take cart of one ranch house. It was their job to keep the home place in shape and contribute to the welfare of their future. Instead, the women ended up sleeping and loafing. They did not tend the garden and keep the house clean. They made pets of the farm animals and expected help from the cowboys to get their chores done. The women were week and unwilling to work.
The Owner was not willing to use a heavy hand to force the women to work nor did he engage in ranch work when he could.

When the cowboy's cook was fired and the ranch was short on cowhands, the women of the ranch should have prepared the meals for both the family and the hands.

The cowboys did better but were still unwilling to give the daylight to dark work that would have been needed for the ranch to succeed.

What took the cake was the way that the owner tried to take advantage of his hands on payday. In today's world, an owner may well be able to treat the employees of a large corporation in this manner and survive but even on a ranch today, word would get around and that rancher would never be able to hire the hands he needs. Mr. Cook owed everything to those hands and could have collected them as a group and discussed what he needed to maintain the ranch for the next year while explaining that if he could not reach some sort of a deal the ranch would fold. He may still have lost some hands and had to pay them off true to his original word but I think some would have stayed and felt more like a part of the ranch. But by this time it may have been too late.

Yea hard to believe that they loose a cook and a cowboy has to do it when they have a maid and three other women at the main house.

He was not willing to make the maid the cook but he would let her become a cowboy. Seems the step between maid and cook was a smaller one that maid to cowboy.

The owner had serious female issues!

Lammie":18y0eege said:

You're supposed to take down your Christmas decorations? :shock:

Alice

Alice":18pr13ea said:
Lammie":18pr13ea said:

Alice

Well, I have a tree that has had Christmas lights in it since 2000. We put them up there and can't get them down.

Lammie":34jin198 said:
Alice":34jin198 said:
Lammie":34jin198 said:

Alice

Well, I have a tree that has had Christmas lights in it since 2000. We put them up there and can't get them down.

Hope they do not look like some of the old fences around here were the barb wire is grown into the tree about 5 inches deep :D

aplusmnt":26nxxa4d said:
Lammie":26nxxa4d said:
Alice":26nxxa4d said:
Lammie":26nxxa4d said:

Alice

Hope they do not look like some of the old fences around here were the barb wire is grown into the tree about 5 inches deep :D

No, but we did cut some trees down at the fenceline this past January and we had that exact problem! I think that barb wire had been growing in those hackberry trees since the house was built in '78.

Finally caught the last episode of Texas Ranch house. It was hilarious when the wife was reading the evaluation and when it came to how incompetent she was she stopped and said why are we reading this. :D :D

She did not mind hearing everyone else's shortcomings but not hers.

Could not believe how Mr Cooke reasoned on Jarred and his horse he bought.

Seemed like Mr Cooke tried to make up for his weak managing skills by being a tough negotiator on pay day. First time he showed some strength and back bone and it was uncalled for then.

Latest posts