Texas Drouth

Help Support CattleToday:

baleflipper

Reaction score
I have lived in a 30 mile circle all my life so far.The Center of that circle is in the Bastrop, Caldwell and Travis county line junction. Sixty two years here so far.
Several Years ago my barber showed me a type written book aquired from the county weather observer. She allowed me to take it and have several copies made. I kept one and gave the rest to friends. This Book covers the years 1882 to 1990.
In this book are several nice charts.One of which is the "Palmer Drought Severity Index." This chart shows the drouths and the length of years and the shortage of rain in inches. The thing I noticed most was that most drouths only lasted four years,exception being the 50s. One thing I did not remember was that half of 53 and most of 54 were normal rainfall. The drouth broke here in Sept of 57. 57 was a wet year with 48 inches of rain compared to 32 inches average. Most fell after Sept.
From the reports in this book and to the best of my memory, most drouths break in Sept or Oct. Usualy when a hurricane runs into a cold front moving down into Texas.
I have plowed my winter wheat land,I kept my wheat seed from the meager crop I made, If it rains in Sept I will plant it. I made enough hay last year to carry my cows until the end of October. Our mesquite pastures are best in the late winter,we get" mesquite grass".
For my part I plan on holding on until the end of October. Right or wrong.
Joe

baleflipper":8o6zn8bh said:
I have lived in a 30 mile circle all my life so far.The Center of that circle is in the Bastrop, Caldwell and Travis county line junction. Sixty two years here so far.
Several Years ago my barber showed me a type written book aquired from the county weather observer. She allowed me to take it and have several copies made. I kept one and gave the rest to friends. This Book covers the years 1882 to 1990.
In this book are several nice charts.One of which is the "Palmer Drought Severity Index." This chart shows the drouths and the length of years and the shortage of rain in inches. The thing I noticed most was that most drouths only lasted four years,exception being the 50s. One thing I did not remember was that half of 53 and most of 54 were normal rainfall. The drouth broke here in Sept of 57. 57 was a wet year with 48 inches of rain compared to 32 inches average. Most fell after Sept.
From the reports in this book and to the best of my memory, most drouths break in Sept or Oct. Usualy when a hurricane runs into a cold front moving down into Texas.
I have plowed my winter wheat land,I kept my wheat seed from the meager crop I made, If it rains in Sept I will plant it. I made enough hay last year to carry my cows until the end of October. Our mesquite pastures are best in the late winter,we get" mesquite grass".
For my part I plan on holding on until the end of October. Right or wrong.
Joe

So far I am with you, just keep writing checks for feed. :bang: :bang: I am having a real problem with these welfare cattle but there has never been a drought this bad here since 1911.

Ok this is just me talking a line of bs. I am out of the biz with three bulls and a cow, so I aint in the biz anymore. If I was I would sell everything, if i had a good group of cows, I would pick the best and flush em, and I am talking about this on commercial cows. This will seem crazy to some, but to me it makes sense to take the high prices and come back in when it rains. You could get cheap Longhorns or Corrietes for recips. Main thing is not loose the genetics that you have worked so hard to establish and a the same time not go broke trying to feed em.

I am very glad that I am not walking in your shoes....its danged if do and danged if you dont

Read this morning that they are predicting this high to slide west over the Rockies next week increasing our rain chance's. If that is so you boys out west had better get ready for a real oven was 110 here yesterday.

Caustic Burno":10jwbyy3 said:
Read this morning that they are predicting this high to slide west over the Rockies next week increasing our rain chance's. If that is so you boys out west had better get ready for a real oven was 110 here yesterday.
Dang CB....your about to talk me into doing something stupid....like dry planting 20 acres of millet.....

baleflipper":3lmx35lm said:
Yall do realize raising cattle is a terminal disease? Most that get it do it until they die!
Kinda like diarrhea huh?? Just runs in your genes. :lol: :lol2:

I called East Texas Seed Company today to check on the price of seed. I am thinking about trying cereal rye this year along with my oats and winter rye. Cereal rye is $20.00 / 50 lbs.,oats are $17.50, and winter rye ( tam90) is $28.00. This seems high but if we do not get any moisture any price will be a waste. Any of you use cereal rye?

I plant 4-600 acres per year. I disc some pastures and plant Rye/Ryegrass. Others I No-Till Rye/Ryegrass/Crimson clover. The nice thing about cereal rye is that it grows fast in the fall and will not have winter kill if it gets real cold. The bad part is that it seeds out early (April). I only plant it in sandy soil. I plant oats / ryegrass in heavier soils. I am figuring $150-200 / Ac cost this year. Will be cheaper than hay at $180-200 / ton but its gonna have to rain soon. I also plant some purple top turnips and mix with cereal rye / ryegrass for cows.

THe cost of seed is going to be up this year. Cereal rye is grown for seed in north Texas and Southern Oklahoma. Made about 2/3 of a normal crop due to drought. Ryegrass for seed is grown in Oregon. They cut it and windrow it letting it dry down to harvest seed. Unfortunately, they got a lot of rain and a good portion lost portion of the crop in the threshing process.

I dont feel so dumb now for holding onto my beardless wheat this past season at those prices for seed I might have for once done right thing.. Looking at maps for tropical storms,we might get some rain next week. get a good soaker might get to plant some wheat for cows.

baleflipper":3e8kpyl9 said:
I dont feel so dumb now for holding onto my beardless wheat this past season at those prices for seed I might have for once done right thing.. Looking at maps for tropical storms,we might get some rain next week. get a good soaker might get to plant some wheat for cows.
Hmm....don't know what gives you that idea cept CB mentioned that the HIGH is supposed to move off to the west ......All I see is more of the same.

im in floating what's left of the comal river this weekend ... all the way from s.e. Texas to seguin it is dry and brown

A fella I met in weather chat gave me this site,"Ralphs Tropical weather Outlook".
It has a lot of information on it.Shows a string of tropical storms coming off Africa. The smaller high pressure systems are blue in color.One Started up at the junction of Texas Lousiana and has now moved into Mexico.The tropical stom over Yucatan might go east of it instead of going into mexico.The next Two storms may just go straight into Texas.I am not a weather man,just being hopeful I guess.We have had several drouths break in Sept october,Was just hoping this one breaks soon.

baleflipper......just my observation cause I'm an "uneducated"
ed cuss.....but seeing as EVERYTHING has tracked west or hit the wall and went POOF.....just saying I'm laughing at such "forecasts" till I'm proven wrong......and I'm willing to be wrong tomorrow but let's just qualify my optimism.....I bought stock mutual funds Friday.....I wouldn't bet a nickel on a weatherman's forecast for rain to be correct.

Caustic Burno":14dmn8br said:
JSCATTLE":14dmn8br said:
im in floating what's left of the comal river this weekend ... all the way from s.e. Texas to seguin it is dry and brown

Keep your eyes open as I lost a fine Case in the Comal about 25 years ago. :nod:
I looked in every antique shop down here ... no old case knives... just expensive new ones... I bet the Mexican kids with the goggles found it by now...they were coming up with all kinds of stuff out of the river ...

Latest posts