Plant Identification central Texas, residential

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get much info from my neighbors about these 3 plants and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep them or revert back to my primal mindset and just kill 'em all....
These just popped up a couple weeks ago near a porch that drops lots of rainwater off it. LOTS of them. They were not growing here until about mid August so came from a seed bank. They are well rooted.
DSC00193.JPG

DSC00194.JPG

Plant #2 is a tree. There were several here, in a flowerbed and they were tall enough to be pushing on the eaves of the house and run roots under the foundation so I cut one completely down and pruned the others back substantially. They came back with a vengeance.
The plant id software I looked at said "fig" but not like any fig I ever saw.

DSC00195.JPG

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

Plant#3 is also tree-like. Someone had cut this one down, which is right next to the main entrance and the branches keep growing out onto the walkway. There is another one at the corner of the house which is over 10' tall. Is this a ficus?

DSC00198.JPG
(The trunk of this one is about 9" diameter and is pretty dense wood.)
Thanks in advance..

I haven't been able to get much info from my neighbors about these 3 plants and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep them or revert back to my primal mindset and just kill 'em all....
These just popped up a couple weeks ago near a porch that drops lots of rainwater off it. LOTS of them. They were not growing here until about mid August so came from a seed bank. They are well rooted.
View attachment 21134

View attachment 21135

Plant #2 is a tree. There were several here, in a flowerbed and they were tall enough to be pushing on the eaves of the house and run roots under the foundation so I cut one completely down and pruned the others back substantially. They came back with a vengeance.
The plant id software I looked at said "fig" but not like any fig I ever saw.

View attachment 21136

View attachment 21137

View attachment 21138

Plant#3 is also tree-like. Someone had cut this one down, which is right next to the main entrance and the branches keep growing out onto the walkway. There is another one at the corner of the house which is over 10' tall. Is this a ficus?

View attachment 21141
(The trunk of this one is about 9" diameter and is pretty dense wood.)
Thanks in advance..
not sure about the weed but tree #2 is a mulberry root stock use on weeping mulberry's. I would cut them all down. The 3rd item looks like a camellia

Leaves on tree #1 are pretty narrow and the smooth bark doesn't look like the rough barked Silver maples I had back in East Texas.
There may be more than one kind of silver maple tho.

Leaves on tree #1 are pretty narrow and the smooth bark doesn't look like the rough barked Silver maples I had back in East Texas.
There may be more than one kind of silver maple tho.
Ya, I thought it looked a little off too. I'm not convinced that app is as good as people say it is lol

Could num 3 be a cherry laurel?. I'm sure I am spelling it wrong. I have a few around my place and looks pretty close

That close to the house I would cut the trees down. Not being from Texas so am not going to guess about the other plant. But I would get rid of them and plant something I like if you are going to have to work that hard to keep them in check.

Yeah, first one is just a weed. Grows where turf is weak and will keep grass in check.

Last one does look like old growth ligustrum to me.

I'll agree, they look past their prime and not in an appropriate location.

I have a that kind of tree that grows in a little square between 2 buildings. I can't kill the friggin thing. I cut it off about every 6 months, dug up the root ball as best I could and it still grows back and is at least 8 feet tall by the end of June and end of Sept. Problem is it's in a paver set area and I don't want to rip it all up....it's a SOB of a tree to get rid of

I have a that kind of tree that grows in a little square between 2 buildings. I can't kill the friggin thing. I cut it off about every 6 months, dug up the root ball as best I could and it still grows back and is at least 8 feet tall by the end of June and end of Sept. Problem is it's in a paver set area and I don't want to rip it all up....it's a SOB of a tree to get rid of
Will remedy ultra and diesel kill it? There's a list of trees it's good for on the instructions. Not just for killing mesquites. But wouldn't spray it close to anything you don't want treated. One way is to cut off a tree. Drill holes about 3-4" deep in the trunk, and spot spray the holes.

But I might be wrong. Follow the instructions:)

I have found very little that Remedy/Diesel won't kill but some may require a2nd treatment

#3 looks like a yaupon holly or overgrown boxwood
No, not yaupon. The rest of the hedges are yaupon holly but not that one.
The place was not well maintained when I moved in as far as the yard goes. Overgrown yaupon, even the 2 big rose bushes in the back were 10' tall and spread out over the walkway.
Of course, it was June, 100+ deg days and deep drought and no green grass anywhere.
That plant #1 was growing all along fences and the side of the house and I've cut most of it out.
Other than it and what you see pictured below, I have no trees which I view as a good thing.
(this picture was part of the original realtor's ad and I have added the notations) The biggest tree at the near corner of the house I trimmed way back to where it's just a ball of growth near the eave and I will probably do the cut/frill and spray herbicide treatment to it next month. It's the same species as plant #3. There was all kinds of other crap growing along the side of the house that you can't really see in the picture but I cut almost all of it out already. The little ironwood in my yard at the far left is now just a memory.
bb2.png

(My sister once said of me "Where Don goes, nothin' grows")

It may be Ligustrum but the ones I've seen in the neighborhood are all blooming white right now. Neither of these have a bloom and haven't since I got here June 2.

My gut instinct is to cut all this out and replace them with plastic boxwood 'plants'.

Will remedy ultra and diesel kill it? There's a list of trees it's good for on the instructions. Not just for killing mesquites. But wouldn't spray it close to anything you don't want treated. One way is to cut off a tree. Drill holes about 3-4" deep in the trunk, and spot spray the holes.

But I might be wrong. Follow the instructions:)

I didn't try diesel or remedy...I did drill into the trunk, didn't work...and I did drive a couple copper nails into it, didn't work either. I just keep cutting it off as low as I can every few months

Peace; I have painted Remedy on fresh cut stumps and had great results. I use an old or inexpensive paint brush and paint on Remedy straight from its container right after the cut is made. It might require a couple of applications for you to achieve a total kill but I'm sure it will work.

Latest posts