Texas Dove Hunters

Help Support CattleToday:

I really like to hunt dove and enjoy cooking on the grill
I've tried everything from salt water, buttermilk, jalapeño, bacon and etc but I haven't found a way to cook then that I enjoy eating

Anybody have other ways to try ?

Cross-7":birg7nz0 said:
I've tried everything from salt water, buttermilk, jalapeño, bacon and etc but I haven't found a way to cook then that I enjoy eating

Pretty darn good just battered and fried like chicken (not deep fried though). Just in a skillet.

Cross-7":349wbnny said:

Breast them and slow cook em w deer sausage with however you like your gravy served on rice. :)

Cross-7":1kac1cv5 said:

I like them in a fajita marinade and grilled. I would bet you are over cooking them. They are very lean red meat, 3 or 4 minutes on a hot grill is all they take.

Thanks
Only thing better than shooting birds is drinking beer and cooking them

Cross-7":16ehuhgx said:
Thanks
Only thing better than shooting birds is drinking beer and cooking
Careful there Cross.
Been more than 1 bull hamburgered for thinking along those same lines.......

greybeard":1oh2w9d2 said:
Cross-7":1oh2w9d2 said:
Thanks
Only thing better than shooting birds is drinking beer and cooking
Careful there Cross.
Been more than 1 bull hamburgered for thinking along those same lines.......

:clap:

Brute 23":1hnp46lj said:
The days they added are during deer season. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think it will matter very much. Always sounds like a war going on at the start and near the end there's hardly a shot heard. I figure they are all tired, broke and their freezers full.

slick4591":pxg0da7l said:
Brute 23":pxg0da7l said:
The days they added are during deer season. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think it will matter very much. Always sounds like a war going on at the start and near the end there's hardly a shot heard. I figure they are all tired, broke and their freezers full.

That's me . I get tired of Bird hunting after about a week.
,20 more days will help someone sell a lot of shotgun shells. :nod:

They did it to add in the Christmas Holidays which is a good thing. I shouldn't complain. It makes sense. I know with my family that travels from out of state, its a lot easier to take them dove hunting during the holidays than deer hunting.

Late Dec is prime time down south. Wish they would run the dove season in to FEB so you can do more dove & quail at the same time... actually ducks too I guess. Last year there was one weekend when you could kill dove, duck, and quail down here. That's the feathered version of the Texas Slam.

Cross-7":1tdtjg86 said:

Split a jalapeño open and wrap it with a piece of bacon around the breast. Season with fajita seasoning and grill over mesquite. Remove the seeds and white strips from the jalapeño if you're a woos and don't like it too hot.

Jalapeño poppers or Diablos are good. You can also soak the split and cleaned jalapeños in ice water over night to knock the heat out.

Those game winner meat tenderisers you see at cabelas or academy work really good. Run the whole breast thru with out the bone, then chicken fry it.

lavacarancher":396dyd6y said:
Cross-7":396dyd6y said:

Split a jalapeño open and wrap it with a piece of bacon around the breast. Season with fajita seasoning and grill over mesquite. Remove the seeds and white strips from the jalapeño if you're a woos and don't like it too hot.

Add a piece of your favorite cheese to the mix before you wrap it in bacon. And like SJB stated, be careful not to over cook them.

lavacarancher":11k589zd said:
Cross-7":11k589zd said:

I do something similar, though I don't use mesquite and I add a slice of onion. And if you don't have dove then a piece of round steak will work well.

lavacarancher":5eqmxzyl said:
Cross-7":5eqmxzyl said:

Here it's bacon wrapped with jalapeño and cream cheese cooked in the grill.

The way it seems to work for me
Filet off the bone
Soak in salt water
Slice of jalepeno
Maybe smoked sausage if I think about it
Wrap all in bacon and grill
Eat jalepeno, sausage and bacon and feed the dove to the dog

Latest posts