Texas Dairies

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what happen to all the Dairies that used to be in the Southeast part of Texas and are their any around East Texas now.

There are still a few around. Winsboro has some. There is a small one near me but I'm waiting for prices to pull back a little. I hope to get a nurse cow and a couple of unwanted bull calves.

garseer":uy3a5aog said:
Can anyone tell me what happen to all the Dairies that used to be in the Southeast part of Texas and are their any around East Texas now.
theres still dairies in east tx.but the number has dropped alot in the last 15yrs.with in 3 miles of me theres 9 dairies counting ours that is no longer milking cows.whats left are milking as meny cows as their EPA permitt will allow.

Garseer, East Texas never had really good dairying conditions. Too hot and humid and low quality hay and grazing. Plus there seems to be a creek running between every little hill. Nacogdoches, Cherokee, Rusk counties use to have a lot of dairies but most of the young operators went busted and the older ones either sold out while they were ahead or just wore out. The same thing is happening in Central Texas in Johnson, Hill and McLennan Counties.

The next time I go to my place (inherited) in Marshall, I'll look and see of that old dairy between Hallsville and Marshall on US 80 is still operating.

Grandaddy's place there in Marshall was an old dairy until he bought it back in the 50's. The old dairy barn is still standing and there was some old equipment in it. One of my uncle's inherited that part of the place.

TexasBred":1xszkzdl said:
Garseer, East Texas never had really good dairying conditions. Too hot and humid and low quality hay and grazing. Plus there seems to be a creek running between every little hill. Nacogdoches, Cherokee, Rusk counties use to have a lot of dairies but most of the young operators went busted and the older ones either sold out while they were ahead or just wore out. The same thing is happening in Central Texas in Johnson, Hill and McLennan Counties.
now that is just pure bull.the countyim in had 550 dairies at its peak.an im in north east texas.an no it isnt erath county.

Big Bull...haha....You're in Hopkins County....and how many of those dairies are still there? I know there are some but not like 15 years ago. Yeah it use to be wall to wall with mom and pop dairies but like I said....many just got out while they were ahead ( which was very smart). How many new producers have come online the last few years? TNRCC put many out of business by making permits and projects necessary to get permits so expensive the guys just couldn't afford it. Everyone that can afford it is moving westward where the humidity is no problem which also remedies most of the waste water problems as well.....I love diarymen so don't take what I said worng Bull. :lol:

hopkins is right where im at.an your right the small dairies are just about gone here.but whats left are pretty big dairies.if i was going back in id go to west texas or new mexico.less EPA strain.an plenty of underground water.

I'm from Erath county and there are fewer dairys there now then there used to be. The government bought out a lot of the smaller ones. The ones that are left seem to only be the 500+ head operations. There is a small 200+/- head jersey dairy right down the road from us but I'm sure it will be gone when the man dies. The kids have no interest in the dairy business. All the big operations have a lot of "south of the border" labor.

Sidney, Big Bull....yep that's the problem. Good dairy families but not a lot of help from anyone. But I can understand the kids not wanting to follow mom and dad into the business I guess. I use to hear a lot about the dairies in Erath County contaminating the river that ran into Lake Waco which made the water taste and smell really funky. A friend told me that old timers said the Waco water stunk big time long before Erath county ever had a dairy. Not an easy life regardless of where you locate but "Go west young man" seems to be the theme again.

Um.... Hello. Head to Dallhart. Hilmar Cheese just built one of the largest cheese plants there and they have been pushing dirt for daries as fast as they can.

cowtipper":16f3gggc said:
Um.... Hello. Head to Dallhart. Hilmar Cheese just built one of the largest cheese plants there and they have been pushing dirt for daries as fast as they can.

Yep...Pampa C of C or other groups put a lot of free money out to attract dairies hoping to improve the economy for their area. Most of those didn't work. A lot of large dairies have relocated to Muleshoe area as well as out in the Pecos area. Much better climate for a hard working dairy cow especially the low humidities.

backhoeboogie":3sjiz0jh said:
The next time I go to my place (inherited) in Marshall, I'll look and see of that old dairy between Hallsville and Marshall on US 80 is still operating.

Grandaddy's place there in Marshall was an old dairy until he bought it back in the 50's. The old dairy barn is still standing and there was some old equipment in it. One of my uncle's inherited that part of the place.

BHB - was it on US 80? If so, I don't think it's operating anymore. At least I can't recall seeing a dairy along that stretch.

I know of one in Abbott, Tx located in HIll county. They sell their raw milk to people all over and they also make their own cheese and sell it.

Latest posts