dairies going bust

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":6em8iv65 said:
novaman":6em8iv65 said:
TexasBred":6em8iv65 said:
Your'e kidding???? What are you feeding and how much??? My feed cost that much 15 years ago
I just updated my prices so this is current.

$ per day: Cost per unit: Pounds/head
Corn 0.84 3.05 15.5
Alfalfa Hay 1.44 70 41
Modified Distillers 0.19 47 8
Mineral/SBM 0.21 427 1
Molasses 0.50 287 3.5
Feed cost per cow $3.18 69 lbs/hd

This ration is balanced for a theoretical production of 75 pounds.

Looks like a good ration especially if you can raise or buy those ingredients at the price stated. Should make milk as well as pretty good BF and Protein
That is what the ingredients cost me. I always value home-grown feedstuffs as if I had to buy them. Makes for a more accurate measurement of cost.

The big difference is the alfalfa. Cost more than double that down this way so it doesn't always dollar out in the ration very well. Grass hay this year may cost what you're paying for alfalfa and be 8% protein instead of 24-26% like the dairy quality alfalfa which not only meets your roughage needs but also your protein needs. With our low quality grass hay we have to supplement with large amount of SBM or CSM and both have been extremely expensive for several years now. WCS is no longer feasible either so dairies down here have extremely high feed costs.

Those that don't feed a TMR will feed 28-30 lbs. of a complete grain mix which will cost $230 a ton and up and still have that low quality hay to pay for.

well the banks are starting to repo stuff.just heard yesterday that the bank pulled into a dairy an repoed 5 JD 4X4 cab tractors.they say he had just got through chopping his silage.dont know if he has any tractors left or not.

bigbull338":1y8t4ehp said:
well the banks are starting to repo stuff.just heard yesterday that the bank pulled into a dairy an repoed 5 JD 4X4 cab tractors.they say he had just got through chopping his silage.dont know if he has any tractors left or not.

Guess ol' Joe Don and David will have another dispersal sale soon. As for 4 4x4 tractors....I remember when I started...banker said "you got one a$$..you need one tractor"..lol..I did eventually get a 2nd tho.

i doubt if joe don an fowler will make any money from those dairies.if the cows go,most will prolly end up hamberger.an the rest will be private treaty sales.