How many dairies in your state?

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I helped out with the Mobile Dairy Classroom today at the school where I teach agriscience. We were told that Alabama has 62 dairies in the state. There are none left in my county. The last one closed down 20 years ago. How about your state?

62? Where are they? Ha... there arent many left around here either. What county are you in?

HG

theres prolly 130 to 200 dairies still in our county.but i havent seen the stats in 4 or 5yrs.an prolly 600 to 700 dairies left in texas.an the dairies thats left are alot bigger.

Most recent figures I could find were for 2003....Texas still had 826 dairies statewide, milking 310,000 cows and producing 5.3 billion pounds of milk. (and a lot of manure). :lol2:

bigbull338":16dvn2gs said:
theres alot dairies than that now TB.us old dairymen are a dieing breed.

BB it does seem so...at least here in Texas. I can remember when Hopkins County alone had well over 500 dairies. More and more are selling out because it just aint' worth it anymore and not a lot of young folks to take their places either.

the young pups cant afford or get financing for $1 mill or more to startup or buy an operating dairy.heck a potload of cows cost $80,000 now.10yrs ago you could buy 60 cows with that money.in 72 cows was $350hd or $14,000 a potload.in 76 they was $1100 a hd or $44,000 a load.so my dad only bout a half load of cows insted of 40.

Latest figures I could find from Illinois were from 2005:

1155 dairies
104 cows/herd average
19,575 lbs/cow average

There is a big one about 10 miles from me with 3100 head all Holsteins. Mostly row crops around here (corn & beans) with a few small to medium size beef herds here and there.

We have a plastic holstein cow statue on the square...that the nether world seems to be interested in. I have no idea, a n y m o r e.

Alice

well alice they killed texases #1 an #2 counties with regs an things.eraths died because of wacos lawsuits against all the dairies in the watershed there.making them pay to milk cows.plus do so much to their lagoons.thats when the dairymen started packing up loading up an moving to west tx.leaving alot of fairly new dairies behind.hopkins county died because the processers was moving where the milk was.as well as EPAs regs getting alot of the old dairies out because they didnt want to update to lagoons.because of the amount of land we have.we never had probs with the EPA.

bigbull338":plrd6e6i said:
well alice they killed texases #1 an #2 counties with regs an things.eraths died because of wacos lawsuits against all the dairies in the watershed there.making them pay to milk cows.plus do so much to their lagoons.thats when the dairymen started packing up loading up an moving to west tx.leaving alot of fairly new dairies behind.hopkins county died because the processers was moving where the milk was.as well as EPAs regs getting alot of the old dairies out because they didnt want to update to lagoons.because of the amount of land we have.we never had probs with the EPA.

You are exactly right.

Alice

Alice":3jvw0i9o said:
We have a plastic holstein cow statue on the square...that the nether world seems to be interested in. I have no idea, a n y m o r e.

Alice

Alice I've seen that statue...Would you please sneak down to the square and dehorn that lady. :lol2: :lol2:

well here goes for the north east according to the newest market admin. news letter these numbers are for producers shipping milk in federal order number one and do not include organic or artisan cheese makers or producers shipping into other order areas. Connecticut 140, Maine 337, Maryland 507, Massachusetts 164, New Hampshire 133, New Jersey 108, New York 5199, Pennsylvania 5879, Rhode Island 13, Vermont 1112, Virginia 59 then it has other states shipping into order 1, 205 producers. these states are Arkansas,Delaware,Illinois,Indiana,Kansas,Michigan,Missouri,Ohio, Oklahoma,West Virginia, and Wisconsin. probably more info than you wanted but i already had it all typed in so you get it anyway, lol.

I 've not looked up the state stats.......... but there are a bunch in this area...... Cape Girardeau and Perry County, Mo .

I know of about 7 in a ten mile area around me and I've probably missed a few as well.

I can always hear the milk truck coming over on the country road (or else if its dry you can see all the dust first) because they get the neighbors milk in an 18 wheeler.

i was reading the hoards dairymen a day or so ago an found how meny dairies was in texas.an in 2007 there was 700 dairies in texas.

In Washington State:

496 dairy farms
238,000 dairy cows
Average herd size is 480
23,239 pounds (or 2,696 gallons) per cow in 2007

As of 2007 according to the DFW

I think there was 2,500 dairies in iowa in 2006 and the numberwas growing because of California dairies moving here since land was so much cheaper.

OHIO DAIRY STATISTICS
Dairy Farms

Milking Cows
270,000 head

Average Herd Size
61 cows

Herds with Less than 100 Head
3,700 Farms (or 84%)

Herds with Greater than 100 Head
700 Farms (or 16%)

Average Production p/ Cow
17,567 lbs/year or 2,250 gallons/year

Average Milk Produced p/Year p/Herd
1,077,273 lbs/year or 138,111 gallons/year

Milk Produced
4.74 billion lbs or 590 million gallons

Estimated Gross Receipts
$713,844,000

Generated Economic Impact
about $5 billion

Jobs
4,550 on-farm full-time jobs ($27,000 p/yr)

6,825 secondary jobs ($17,600 p/yr)

2,730 induced jobs ($23,200 p/yr)

14,105 total jobs created ($22,000 p/yr)

Number of Processing/Receiving Plants

Ohio Ranks Nationally
1st in Swiss cheese production

5th in hard milk sherbet production

5th in cottage cheese production

5th in total number of manufacturing plants (46)

5th in number of dairy farms

9th in ice cream production

7th in all cheese production

10th in number of dairy cows

11th in amount of milk produced

Source: Ohio Dairy Industry Forum - updated 6/2006

Latest posts