texas beef check off

Help Support CattleToday:

The Texas Beef Council (TBC) is a non-profit organization charged with the promotion and marketing of beef and beef products in Texas. TBC is funded by the Beef Checkoff program, a $1 per head assessment on the sale of cattle. Checkoff dollars are used to increase beef demand through programs of promotion, research and education. The organization is directed by a 20-member board of cattlemen, representing the state's 149,000 beef producers.

The Beef Checkoff was established as part of the 1985 Farm Bill. It's a national marketing and research program funded by America's cattle farmers and ranchers.

Cattle farmers, ranchers and importers direct the national checkoff program, which uses funds toward research and promotion efforts designed to increase domestic and/or international demand for beef. The Cattlemen's Beef Board and USDA oversee the collection and spending of these beef checkoff funds.

Only time I see any evidence of money being spent by the check off dollars is at the cattle barn, livestock shows and stuff like that. There, you see the signs and advertisements everywhere. Sometimes I wonder if this is a waste and we are just preaching to the choir.

Our beef check off is now $2.00 dollars a head here in GA. as of July 1. I can't believe we let the government make us give a private business $2.00 for each cow we sell. The last I heard was that the GA beef council is putting a new kitchen and remodeling the headquarters in Macon. That's where I see my extra dollar going. It's not a lot of money, but the principal is wrong. IMO

highgrit":3n41p9ly said:
Our beef check off is now $2.00 dollars a head here in GA. as of July 1. I can't believe we let the government make us give a private business $2.00 for each cow we sell. The last I heard was that the GA beef council is putting a new kitchen and remodeling the headquarters in Macon. That's where I see my extra dollar going. It's not a lot of money, but the principal is wrong. IMO

No it is not much. But, $2 times a million head of cattle across the state is a whole lot of nickels!

Bmcdonald, the vote was overwhelming in favor of going to $2.00 a head. I was the only one at the scoping meeting to object to it. The kicker that really bent me the wrong way was. The dairies didn't have to pay on their calves if they brought less than a $100.00 dollars a head. Sounded like the government already been paid off to me.

Caustic Burno":2o40rram said:
bmcdonald":2o40rram said:
Whats everyone take on this issue
I dont know if this is some gov`t bs or coming
From people that own cattle. Just won't to
Here yalls opinion on this
https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Home/P ... ckoff.aspx

Voted against it just another way for somebody to line their pockets with my dollar.

I voted against as well today i hope others have the same agenda

Latest posts