Terminal Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Looking for some input on terminal sires. I'm looking to change my genetics on the maternal side of my herd to breed in more heat tolerance and suited for grass finishing. Basically, cows bred through AI would be focused on what I am looking for in my momma cows. Calves that come from the cleanup bull would be sold commercially. My cows are 1,200 lbs max with alot in the 1,000 lb range. Any advice breed wise on particular terminal sires to use as a cleanup that wont cause a wreck with calving? Would it be as simple as choosing low birth weight terminal sires maybe with some moderate growth?

If you are in the foothills of NC, why do you need more heat tolerance? I am just curious. I am in East Tennessee and we do have some heat during the summer, but nothing like they have further south.

As far as grass finishing, I will defer to someone else, I am not a fan.

Most continental breeds make good terminal FEEDLOT sires on English cows. Char is one of the higher growth options, but the market acceptance of smoky or cream colored calves varies a lot. Black Limi or Simi is a more common choice.

ncboy34 said:
Looking for some input on terminal sires. I'm looking to change my genetics on the maternal side of my herd to breed in more heat tolerance and suited for grass finishing. Basically, cows bred through AI would be focused on what I am looking for in my momma cows. Calves that come from the cleanup bull would be sold commercially. My cows are 1,200 lbs max with alot in the 1,000 lb range. Any advice breed wise on particular terminal sires to use as a cleanup that wont cause a wreck with calving? Would it be as simple as choosing low birth weight terminal sires maybe with some moderate growth?

I'd stick with a Black Angus.

Latest posts