Temporary Frozen Ground Polywire Posts ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
No snow and about 6" of frozen dirt here. Need to put in and remove some fence for strip grazing. Have drilled an undersized hole and drove in re bar or fiberglass post in the past. This worked fine as long as you did not need to remove them till spring...

Thinking about drilling over sized holes to allow pulling the posts in 2 days ? Any other ideas for frozen ground ?

No need to drill holes to put in rebar posts. You just need the appropriate size hammer, either a mini-sledge or a handheld post pounder. To pull out of frozen ground, push post to one side to produce a 45 degree bend in the bar and push/pull back and forth in a circular motion until you can rotate completely several times. Will pull out easily and bend bar back straight - I just put it over my knee to straighten them out. Poly posts are junk. I tossed the last of mine to the dump last week.

Aaron":1b8hf6y3 said:
To pull out of frozen ground, push post to one side to produce a 45 degree bend in the bar and push/pull back and forth in a circular motion until you can rotate completely several times. Will pull out easily and bend bar back straight -.

Do you have smooth surface on the smaller (1/4" ?) purchased posts, or a cross hatch pattern on larger home make re bar posts ?

The smooth smaller flimsy posts are junk - they will snap at ground level if you do this to them. I send them to the dump too. Only use the 1/2" rebar. If I can find a scrap of 5' rebar laying around somewhere, I have a use for it.

Living in Tx. I never had to deal with frozen ground, How about using portable post holes, use a metal plate or car tire rim, and weld a metal post with insulator to it or weld a piece of pipe to the rim and slip your post into the pipe.

cowboy43":1hstpxa7 said:
How about using portable post holes, use a metal plate or car tire rim, and weld a metal post with insulator to it or weld a piece of pipe to the rim and slip your post into the pipe.

Too heavy for the wife to move. :cowboy:

Our problem isn;t frozen ground, it's dry hard as rock ground. I use a 1/2 inch masonary bit.

Latest posts