Temporary fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Poly wire, rope fencing or ?
I need something quick and easy.
Step in post. Up for a day or two and roll it up on a reel and roll it out somewhere else.

What the best most durable ?

Cross-7":3k3xx90i said:
Step in post. Up for a day or two and roll it up on a reel and roll it out somewhere else.

I personally hate poly wire/rope and will only use smooth electric wire and my choice is Bekaert 14 gauge.

skyhightree1":ppwjtii3 said:
Cross-7":ppwjtii3 said:

I personally hate poly wire/rope and will only use smooth electric wire and my choice is Bekaert 14 gauge.

Is the hate just toward the white poly or is it include the black and yellow too.

M-5":1h1kk0ip said:
skyhightree1":1h1kk0ip said:
Cross-7":1h1kk0ip said:

Is the hate just toward the white poly or is it include the black and yellow too.

I am an equal opportunity hater so its everything.

I have so much electric wire strung on the place I have to open 3 gates just to go to town for coffee.

There was a time in my life where I hated fences.

Now I spend my day plotting the next fence

I used to like to spend the day prowling cattle in big pastures, but right now I want them bunched up like this building soil and grass.
I'd still like bigger herds on bigger pastures and moving everyday.

I use lots of polywire with stepin posts. Get most of mine from Kencove. Most of what can be bought locally is junk. Once hotwire trained you have a lot of options. 2 people with a string of polywire between them become a moving fence. Easy to build wings and lanes to make penning cattle a 1 man job. Wouldn't run cattle without hotwire.

Texas PaPaw":w8w9rhzf said:
I use lots of polywire with stepin posts. Get most of mine from Kencove. Most of what can be bought locally is junk. Once hotwire trained you have a lot of options. 2 people with a string of polywire between them become a moving fence. Easy to build wings and lanes to make penning cattle a 1 man job. Wouldn't run cattle without hotwire.

Some areas are getting abused and others neglected.
They continually graze young tender grass while neglecting other grass and it's getting tall and tank going to waste.

I like the turbo poly wire, not the rope and sure not the tape. Tape is ok on short runs, like gaps, but catches too much wind on longer runs for me. It flitters real good, they can see it a lot better, but has too much slack in it not more posts than I like to use.

You gotta get them cattle really tight in order to not be selective and trample everything down, which amounts to moving them 4 or 5 times a day or more.
So I just let em have what they want and clip what they don't eat......to keep it fresh. if you have cool season grasses like fescue....what they don't like now they will love this winter.

Texas PaPaw":2k26iohz said:
100% with you all the way around.

Mine will run full speed to the poly, and slid to a stop..

I'm with sky. If your moving it a lot 14 gauge wire on a extension cord reel is very handy and lightweight.
I agree wind plays hellon the tape. If you roll it off the end spinning reel style it puts a twist in it which helps somewhat.

Banjo":naiwy0hs said:
You gotta get them cattle really tight in order to not be selective and trample everything down, which amounts to moving them 4 or 5 times a day or more.
So I just let em have what they want and clip what they don't eat......to keep it fresh. if you have cool season grasses like fescue....what they don't like now they will love this winter.

OR just provide them the amount of acreage needed to accomplish the goal with once per day moves.

Draper":2pzbonfa said:
Banjo":2pzbonfa said:

OR just provide them the amount of acreage needed to accomplish the goal with once per day moves.

If you can do that. I find it very hard to do with my system. Now if you were able to keep them in the same paddock for 24 hrs each day it might be more doable. But that would require water and shade for each paddock which is not easy or practical for me. All my paddocks access a lane to water and shade.....after they pick for an hour or so they want to migrate to the shade and water.
I have discovered how small an area you can actually put 50+ cows and calves....probably a 1/4 of an acre or less for a couple of hours...so I could easily move 4 times a day. I found that if you give them too much room, they will make trails thru it instead of trampling all of it......unless as I said if you can keep them in that area for 24 hrs.

powerflex fence for posts, reels and polywire.

its the best stuff.. i've been using the same stuff for about 7 years now.. most is left outside all the time..

I'm using yellow and black poly wire to good effect right now, limit grazing on millet. I get mine from Tractor Supply. I have used some of the yellow and black continuously now for about five years on a deer fence for my garden. I use a combo of step in posts and t-posts. It has held up well.

Had a new neighbor in crisis many years ago. He had truckloads of animals coming to newly acquired land with no fence. I suggested poly rope and 1" Sch. 40 PVC pipe cut to 4' lengths with a hole in one (the top) end.

The process went like this. Bucket on tractor FEL was filled with the pipes. Owner and two more of us were the workers: I'd back along the proposed fence line and stop every 10'. Guy #2 would take a pipe out and hold it under the bucket while I pushed it down about 18" or whatever I could get...spring time, heavy clay soil still moist.

As we did that the owner came along with the polyrope and threaded it through the holes. It took us a few hours to do about 20 acres and we got done and the fence charger hooked up just as the trucks were driving up. It's there today and still doing it's job.

Latest posts