Temporary fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark":22bujjj9 said:
Had a new neighbor in crisis many years ago. He had truckloads of animals coming to newly acquired land with no fence. I suggested poly rope and 1" Sch. 40 PVC pipe cut to 4' lengths with a hole in one (the top) end.

The process went like this. Bucket on tractor FEL was filled with the pipes. Owner and two more of us were the workers: I'd back along the proposed fence line and stop every 10'. Guy #2 would take a pipe out and hold it under the bucket while I pushed it down about 18" or whatever I could get...spring time, heavy clay soil still moist.

As we did that the owner came along with the polyrope and threaded it through the holes. It took us a few hours to do about 20 acres and we got done and the fence charger hooked up just as the trucks were driving up. It's there today and still doing it's job.
I know it's not the point, but I can't get past the idea of buying a truckload of animals with no fenced pasture.

M.Magis":z6cp1o3a said:
Texasmark":z6cp1o3a said:
Had a new neighbor in crisis many years ago. He had truckloads of animals coming to newly acquired land with no fence. I suggested poly rope and 1" Sch. 40 PVC pipe cut to 4' lengths with a hole in one (the top) end.

The process went like this. Bucket on tractor FEL was filled with the pipes. Owner and two more of us were the workers: I'd back along the proposed fence line and stop every 10'. Guy #2 would take a pipe out and hold it under the bucket while I pushed it down about 18" or whatever I could get...spring time, heavy clay soil still moist.

As we did that the owner came along with the polyrope and threaded it through the holes. It took us a few hours to do about 20 acres and we got done and the fence charger hooked up just as the trucks were driving up. It's there today and still doing it's job.
I know it's not the point, but I can't get past the idea of buying a truckload of animals with no fenced pasture.

The folks were moving from another state and already owned the animals. I can't understand the logic either but there we were and he said what he said and we got busy. Sure enough 21 head were unloaded around noon a couple of days later.

MtnCows93":yebyg4sz said:
Hey im new to the board, Have you guys putting 17 gauge on extension cord reels? seems to work good for me

i guess that would work for about 100 feet or less..

we are talking about polywire.. google it if you don't know what it is. and 3:1 geared reels to wind it up.

I just ran a 1/4 mile of temp fence yesterday for the cows.

Texasmark":3v17ng5d said:

A rechargeable 1/2 inch drill and a 1 inch ship auger might work for this.

ddd75":2ya4bziq said:
MtnCows93":2ya4bziq said:
Hey im new to the board, Have you guys putting 17 gauge on extension cord reels? seems to work good for me

i guess that would work for about 100 feet or less..

we are talking about polywire.. google it if you don't know what it is. and 3:1 geared reels to wind it up.

I just ran a 1/4 mile of temp fence yesterday for the cows.

Yes you can put a 1/4 mile of 14 gauge wire on a extension cord reel. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Funny when folks knock something they never have done.

I use the black and yellow poly wire inside of my permanent fencing to rotate daily, 10 acres with 16 sections each with access to woods and creek. I've used it as my only fencing also. No problems once their trained to it.
I don't move wire daily. Just open and close each section when rotating them. All removable when needed for drilling seed or fertilizing.
I'll try to post a picture or two.

I use a cordless drill to wind up my polywire.. do an 1/8th mile in a minute, and unlike hand wrapping, doesn't twist or untwist the wire.. piece of all-thread and a few big washers and nuts to go through the original spool and you're done

If you runs aren't too long (less than 2000'), I'd recommend the braided polywire from powerflex. I've tried many different brands, and like with most things, you get what you pay for. It is the best bang for the buck. I like their custom reels too. Stafix and Gallagher both make very good temporary fencing products, but again, you pay for NZ quality. Like mentioned before, Kencove is also a really good, and affordable source, of all things electric. Quick shipping and good service. As far as posts go, buy a few different types and see what you like. I personally like the step in pigtails...but we usually just use one wire. Some folks prefer the O'Brien plastic posts. Having a t-post to make hard corners or a wood posts to stretch from sure helps. Also, don't skimp on a good charger, and make sure you ground the system properly. Do all that, and properly train your cows to electric in a lot, and you'll never look back. We move cattle from daily to weekly, depending our schedule and grass load. An atv or UTv with a reel holder makes the job extremely efficient.

Nesikep":1ry783g2 said:
I use a cordless drill to wind up my polywire.. do an 1/8th mile in a minute, and unlike hand wrapping, doesn't twist or untwist the wire.. piece of all-thread and a few big washers and nuts to go through the original spool and you're done
You still have to unhook it from the posts. Since I'm walking anyway it doesn;t take any longer to roll it up on a regular real.

Latest posts