• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Temperarily separating Cows n calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
33
Location
Ky
Would there be any benefit to separating cows and calves two or three times a year? Like overnight?
Would that sleight amount of stress cause the cow to give more milk overall or stimulate more milk?
Just wondering if anybody does that.
 

Lucky

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2018
Messages
1,024
Reaction score
13
Location
TX
Supposedly pulling the calves off the cows for a day or two before turning the bulls in kicks the cows into cycling sooner but I’ve never tried it.
 

76 Bar

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2012
Messages
1,443
Reaction score
76
Location
South Western Oregon
Banjo":2oxhauxx said:
Would there be any benefit to separating cows and calves two or three times a year? Like overnight?
Would that sleight amount of stress cause the cow to give more milk overall or stimulate more milk?
Just wondering if anybody does that.
Speaking for myself, in a word, no, no and no. If you're desirous of increased milking ability, genetics and the environment to support it are your options.
Supposedly pulling the calves off the cows for a day or two before turning the bulls in kicks the cows into cycling sooner
~20 yrs ago 48 hr calf removal was touted as a component of timed AI and ultimately abandoned primarily because it compromised calf health.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
12
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
Never done it,but it no doubt stresses every one envolved cows, calves,and you..if there's a chance of anything out there the calf will be more susceptible to get it...
 

farmerjan

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
3,101
Reaction score
43
Location
Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Stress on the cow will actually cause her to hold her milk and that can cause mastitis. You will not stimulate more milk by causing the cow to hold her milk for any period of time. The calf will be bawling, the cow will be bawling, and everyone will be trying to get in with the other. Then you will wind up with cattle getting loose and torn up fences. Anytime a calf is stressed, it compromises it's immune system and that allows more opportunity for calves to get sick.

The comment about genetics, environment, and feed is right to improve the milking ability of an animal.
A neighbor gets his calves separated from his cows and locks them in a catch pen for another neighbor to come help band/castrate/cut them; the next day and sometimes the day after.... They will scream all night long and the cows are just outside the fence screaming all night long. Why in the world he just doesn't get them in with their calves and just cut the calves out to be worked the next day I will never know. Then, he has trouble getting them to come back in the lot because they associate it with something "terrible"...

I understand that it is supposed to be a method to get them to cycle.... no thanks, I want my animals to want to come in when I want them, not think that I am going to do something mean and terrible to them.
 

ALACOWMAN

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Messages
16,917
Reaction score
12
Location
Alabama the Beautiful
farmerjan":fhys2wxu said:
Stress on the cow will actually cause her to hold her milk and that can cause mastitis. You will not stimulate more milk by causing the cow to hold her milk for any period of time. The calf will be bawling, the cow will be bawling, and everyone will be trying to get in with the other. Then you will wind up with cattle getting loose and torn up fences. Anytime a calf is stressed, it compromises it's immune system and that allows more opportunity for calves to get sick.

The comment about genetics, environment, and feed is right to improve the milking ability of an animal.
A neighbor gets his calves separated from his cows and locks them in a catch pen for another neighbor to come help band/castrate/cut them; the next day and sometimes the day after.... They will scream all night long and the cows are just outside the fence screaming all night long. Why in the world he just doesn't get them in with their calves and just cut the calves out to be worked the next day I will never know. Then, he has trouble getting them to come back in the lot because they associate it with something "terrible"...

I understand that it is supposed to be a method to get them to cycle.... no thanks, I want my animals to want to come in when I want them, not think that I am going to do something mean and terrible to them.
Mine already think that I'm going to do something mean...sometimes I do just to show em their right...I just roll with their feelings I guess.. :cowboy:
 

boondocks

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2013
Messages
2,594
Reaction score
0
Location
Upstate NY
Banjo":4er7kzei said:
Would there be any benefit to separating cows and calves two or three times a year? Like overnight?
Would that sleight amount of stress cause the cow to give more milk overall or stimulate more milk?
Just wondering if anybody does that.

In any mammal, milk is a finely-tuned "supply and demand" feedback loop. If it ain't in demand (via nursing baby), supply goes down, not up.
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
11,652
Reaction score
178
Location
Central Upstate New York
Why are you even thinking about doing this? Don't your cows milk well enough?
As mentioned - genetics, feed and environment (and the lack of or presence of stimulation) are the only thing that makes a difference.
 

greatgerts

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
0
Location
De Soto MO
All this would do is make their bags bigger. It won't make any more milk than if you kept them together. It could start to dry them up a little, then what will you have? Cows with NO milk.
 
OP
B

Banjo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
33
Location
Ky
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3lun6rld said:
Why are you even thinking about doing this? Don't your cows milk well enough?
As mentioned - genetics, feed and environment (and the lack of or presence of stimulation) are the only thing that makes a difference.

OK....we can all relax.
I have about 10 spring calvers out of a 100 that hadn't calved so far this year. I didn't know for sure which ones were without calves, so the only way I knew to know for sure who's who was to separate the cows from the calves overnight.
So that's why I got to wondering if there would be any benefit to the separation on occasion.

Too much stress is not good, but light stresses occasionally is sometimes beneficial such as giving blood at a blood bank is said to be good for your body. Or exercise occasionally versus being a couch potato all the time.
 

greybeard

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 5, 2012
Messages
19,324
Reaction score
32
Location
Cleveland Tx
uch as giving blood at a blood bank is said to be good for your body.
Those of us that are on blood thinners don't have to worry about going to the blood bank for that..
 

Latest posts

Top