Temperarily separating Cows n calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
Would there be any benefit to separating cows and calves two or three times a year? Like overnight?
Would that sleight amount of stress cause the cow to give more milk overall or stimulate more milk?
Just wondering if anybody does that.

Supposedly pulling the calves off the cows for a day or two before turning the bulls in kicks the cows into cycling sooner but I've never tried it.

Banjo":2oxhauxx said:
Would there be any benefit to separating cows and calves two or three times a year? Like overnight?
Would that sleight amount of stress cause the cow to give more milk overall or stimulate more milk?
Speaking for myself, in a word, no, no and no. If you're desirous of increased milking ability, genetics and the environment to support it are your options.
Supposedly pulling the calves off the cows for a day or two before turning the bulls in kicks the cows into cycling sooner
~20 yrs ago 48 hr calf removal was touted as a component of timed AI and ultimately abandoned primarily because it compromised calf health.

Never done it,but it no doubt stresses every one envolved cows, calves,and you..if there's a chance of anything out there the calf will be more susceptible to get it...

Stress on the cow will actually cause her to hold her milk and that can cause mastitis. You will not stimulate more milk by causing the cow to hold her milk for any period of time. The calf will be bawling, the cow will be bawling, and everyone will be trying to get in with the other. Then you will wind up with cattle getting loose and torn up fences. Anytime a calf is stressed, it compromises it's immune system and that allows more opportunity for calves to get sick.

The comment about genetics, environment, and feed is right to improve the milking ability of an animal.
A neighbor gets his calves separated from his cows and locks them in a catch pen for another neighbor to come help band/castrate/cut them; the next day and sometimes the day after.... They will scream all night long and the cows are just outside the fence screaming all night long. Why in the world he just doesn't get them in with their calves and just cut the calves out to be worked the next day I will never know. Then, he has trouble getting them to come back in the lot because they associate it with something "terrible"...

I understand that it is supposed to be a method to get them to cycle.... no thanks, I want my animals to want to come in when I want them, not think that I am going to do something mean and terrible to them.

farmerjan":fhys2wxu said:
Stress on the cow will actually cause her to hold her milk and that can cause mastitis. You will not stimulate more milk by causing the cow to hold her milk for any period of time. The calf will be bawling, the cow will be bawling, and everyone will be trying to get in with the other. Then you will wind up with cattle getting loose and torn up fences. Anytime a calf is stressed, it compromises it's immune system and that allows more opportunity for calves to get sick.

The comment about genetics, environment, and feed is right to improve the milking ability of an animal.
A neighbor gets his calves separated from his cows and locks them in a catch pen for another neighbor to come help band/castrate/cut them; the next day and sometimes the day after.... They will scream all night long and the cows are just outside the fence screaming all night long. Why in the world he just doesn't get them in with their calves and just cut the calves out to be worked the next day I will never know. Then, he has trouble getting them to come back in the lot because they associate it with something "terrible"...

I understand that it is supposed to be a method to get them to cycle.... no thanks, I want my animals to want to come in when I want them, not think that I am going to do something mean and terrible to them.
Mine already think that I'm going to do something mean...sometimes I do just to show em their right...I just roll with their feelings I guess.. :cowboy:

Banjo":4er7kzei said:

In any mammal, milk is a finely-tuned "supply and demand" feedback loop. If it ain't in demand (via nursing baby), supply goes down, not up.

Why are you even thinking about doing this? Don't your cows milk well enough?
As mentioned - genetics, feed and environment (and the lack of or presence of stimulation) are the only thing that makes a difference.

All this would do is make their bags bigger. It won't make any more milk than if you kept them together. It could start to dry them up a little, then what will you have? Cows with NO milk.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3lun6rld said:
Why are you even thinking about doing this? Don't your cows milk well enough?
As mentioned - genetics, feed and environment (and the lack of or presence of stimulation) are the only thing that makes a difference.

OK....we can all relax.
I have about 10 spring calvers out of a 100 that hadn't calved so far this year. I didn't know for sure which ones were without calves, so the only way I knew to know for sure who's who was to separate the cows from the calves overnight.
So that's why I got to wondering if there would be any benefit to the separation on occasion.

Too much stress is not good, but light stresses occasionally is sometimes beneficial such as giving blood at a blood bank is said to be good for your body. Or exercise occasionally versus being a couch potato all the time.

Latest posts