telephone poles

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I posted this on the breeds board, but feel maybe it would be better suited here. What sort of prep, if any, do I need to do to standard utility poles prior to placing them ground to prevent rotting.

I usually use miscuts. They have never been used and should last 40 years without having to do anything. I got some old butt-cuts off some creosote poles and I think these will last even longer as they are soaking with creosote. If you are using old poles complitments of the power folks, keep in mind they have already used up about half their life. I wouldn't use the tops of these if they are showing their age with splits and such.

I have a pile of the things after Rita but I am half buzzard when it comes to scounging up material.
There was a house fire while back and I got all the brick from the chimney to put in the creek for a crossing, state was tearing out the bridge to town. The county had recently decked in 4" by 8" timbers and was going to burn got a huge pile of them up to 16 foot in length as well as all the pipe.
Always looking for a way to cut cost.
Back to your question I save all my old oil and in the summer ride around and put a ladlle full on top of the post.

If you cut them for fence posts- cut the top on a slant and tar it- or some will rot from the inside out. I Figure some didn't get enough preservative all the way thru.

Latest posts