Barn poles beginning to rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the replies. I still question not cutting the pole off at ground level where the rot is. If left alone, won't the decay continue up the post? Or since the above ground portion is not encased in water-holding concrete, will the decay stop?

How bad is the decay. Is the post completely gone. Is the decay from outside the post in or inside of the post out. Is the post real soft in the area of the decay. Is the post 6 x 6 pine that has been treated. If you cleaned the area with a wire brush then how much would you have left.

JT..,

I saw a guy who had repaired your exact problem...it appears. His posts were rotting off at the ground.

He put the existing post weight on a jack and cut the post off a foot or two above the rot. He removed the cut-off rotted lower section (and old concrete). He reinstalled a new lower post(4-5 feet (in p-gravel) and lowered the top post down on the new lower post section with construction glue-liquid nail... on both ends...re-applying a small amount of the weight at a time over a few days. The Key is matching FLAT CUTS. He then put a 1/2" thick x 4" wide metal plate on the side... bolted to the two ends..... about 6-8" from the cuts..

That was done several years ago---10-12...and it hasn't moved.

If I had the problem that would be my approach. I would alter it by notching the two ends about..1/2 half of each circumference x 1' and applying a 3/4" bolt thru the two ends ..thus eliminating the metal plate. The key here would be to make sure the two notches match so the pressure/weight is shared on both the 1/2 ends with the liquid nail adhesive.

hurleyjd":3lx4rcyf said:
How bad is the decay. Is the post completely gone. Is the decay from outside the post in or inside of the post out. Is the post real soft in the area of the decay. Is the post 6 x 6 pine that has been treated. If you cleaned the area with a wire brush then how much would you have left.
Hurleyjd,
Most of the posts are decayed 1/4" or less. One is rotted to depth of 3/4". As I stated, the decay is the first stages, but I'd rather repair it now than wait until collapse is immenent. I'll post some photos as soon as I can. Computer isn't cooperating.

J. T.":3vwity7d said:
hurleyjd":3vwity7d said:
Hurleyjd,
Most of the posts are decayed 1/4" or less. One is rotted to depth of 3/4". As I stated, the decay is the first stages, but I'd rather repair it now than wait until collapse is immenent. I'll post some photos as soon as I can. Computer isn't cooperating.

J. T. I think that I would clean the decay and find a good wood persertive and treat what is left. Make sure the persertive seals the wood. I think that you have enough post left to last another 25 to 30 years. Will you need the barn that long.

MikeC":2t2mop3g said:
Used motor oil and/or diesel fuel are not wood preservatives. They will soften the cellulose fibers making them absorb more moisture and cause them to rot faster.

Although they have a short term advantage by keeping bugs away, in the long run they do more harm than good.

Could you explain that to me please?

MikeC..,
I think you mixed the bag. Diesel fuel may very well cause degradition of the wood and I would not suggest using it. Oil has not shown to do so in our years of application. Water cannot penetrate the wood with oil on it and the bugs don't like the environment it creates.

cowgirl580":30o7md33 said:
MikeC":30o7md33 said:
Used motor oil and/or diesel fuel are not wood preservatives. They will soften the cellulose fibers making them absorb more moisture and cause them to rot faster.

Although they have a short term advantage by keeping bugs away, in the long run they do more harm than good.

I have a good friend who is a chemist and at one time worked for the U.S. Forestry Service. This org has conducted wood preservative experiments since 1910.

My friend has extensive knowledge of wood preserving techniques and says that diesel/used motor oil products do not inhibit wood rot for the long term because of some chemicals within the oils.. They will keep bugs and fungus away for a short period of time but do more harm than good for the long term because of the softening effect they have on wood.

I don't know how to better explain it.

Tung Oil, for example, is a wood preservative. Motor oil (petroleum based) is not.

guest25":20hn9e53 said:
Call the geek squad they are now able to sex the computers to see if the reason they are not cooperating is because they are female in origin.

If you dont have a female computer its probably nothing more than a liberal one.

no disrespect intended just a play on words.

Come on son.....nobody has mention black. This is a good thread.

MikeC, did a little homework on this and it turns out linseed oil is legal to use where burnt motor oil is not. Burnt oil is considered a toxic waste and is illegal to use as a wood preservative by EPD. Guess I'm gonna have to take some notes on how to replace posts now - never had to do it.

MikeC":2mhlvkv2 said:
cowgirl580":2mhlvkv2 said:
MikeC":2mhlvkv2 said:

I have a good friend who is a chemist and at one time worked for the U.S. Forestry Service. This org has conducted wood preservative experiments since 1910.

My friend has extensive knowledge of wood preserving techniques and says that diesel/used motor oil products do not inhibit wood rot for the long term because of some chemicals within the oils.. They will keep bugs and fungus away for a short period of time but do more harm than good for the long term because of the softening effect they have on wood.

Tung Oil, for example, is a wood preservative. Motor oil (petroleum based) is not.

Then why are all telephone poles and railroad ties (sp?) 'dipped' in it? Aren't creosote and used oil similar?

cowgirl580":8st378su said:
MikeC":8st378su said:
cowgirl580":8st378su said:
MikeC":8st378su said:

Then why are all telephone poles and railroad ties (sp?) 'dipped' in it? Aren't creosote and used oil similar?

Creosote is either the resin from a "Creosote" bush or made from "Coal Tar".

Quite a bit different from "Used Motor Oil" or diesel.

Also from bitumen.

bitumen (bĭty`mən) a generic term referring to flammable, brown or black mixtures of tarlike hydrocarbons, derived naturally or by distillation from petroleum. It can be in the form of a viscous oil to a brittle solid, including asphalt, tars, and natural mineral waxes. Substances containing bitumens are called bituminous, e.g., bituminous coal, tar, or pitch.

cowgirl580":jz90vvhz said:
MikeC":jz90vvhz said:
cowgirl580":jz90vvhz said:
MikeC":jz90vvhz said:

All new light poles I've seen around here are CCA Pressure treated, and I believe Cross Ties are dipped in a Creosote Replacer.

Latest posts