Teff Annual ?

Help Support CattleToday:

rollinhills":2zhrc5xr said:
We used it this year on about ten acres, it did ok , found that it can't too mature. Rain kept us from cutting it at the right time and one field got down bad. A lot of that died due to now being able to get it up off the ground for the mower to cut it.

I grow some this year with the same results. Getting it cut on time is very important or your next cutting will be very poor. U want to mow it as soon as u start seeing it head out. Makes great hay it is very fine stemmed and cures fast. I have feed some to the cows and they clean up every bit of it.

What time of year is best to plant Teff? I have heard around June at the earliest, is that true?

Sow after soil temps get 60 to 65 degrees. I've fed some to heifers with the same results, I'm going to take some samples this week to see what the nutrition is. It's fairly cheap o put out also, I put 200#/ac triple 19 out at planting I think should of put on 300#, Came back with 30# of N on the field that was still good now it's turned off dry will a 3rd cutting if we get some rain.

I don't think this year it had a fair chance here we had a lot of rain earlier this summer, about the time it has getting ready to need to be cut we got 11" of rain in a three day span, then a inch or so every three or four days for about 3 weeks after that. I haven't grown sorghum sudan, the teff is supposed to yield 7 ton/ac. From what I understand SS would have a little more tonnage but the Teff has better quality and lower in puts. I'm planning to use it again next season, then maybe I will know a little more about it. like I said don't think it got a fair shake 5 ac made 15 good tight 5 x5 rolls 1st cutting and 6 second cutting.. keep in mind I lost about half of it for the second cut.
due to being over mature and down really bad.

i planted a dwarf sudan and then teff grass in the middle of that field. I think both of those varieties would grow well mixed together.

I really liked both of them.. the teff put out a lot of grass per ac.. the sudan looked like it did but cutting it and baling it wasn't impressive. either way it'd be good to throw onto any perennial pasture.. i just threw the coated seed down and it took off like a bandit.

Not many folks actually measure DM production. You can see folks chopping 17 to 21 T/acre forage sorghum on Y tube, but our annual plantings look nothing like that. Our NRCS tech did some sampling last year and most mixes were in the 3 to 5 T/acre range. Watery brassicas are part of the issue.
Lower inputs and 7 T/acre would be great.

yea sh!t why not try for 10 tons / ac and no inputs at all.. its called miracle grass.. i got some for sale.

I have a 20 acre parcel, under wheel line, that I need to replant in the spring once the cows head out and would like to try Teff instead of the old stand by (oats). The one advantage to oats is I can seed with Alfalfa and get 2 cuts the first year and then 3 the next, but I would like to try something a little different and see how it does and if the cows take to it. One question is it a fast germinating seed? How does it compete with weeds? The one reason i plant oats is they will normally out compete with the weeds.

The teff grass comes up very fast a week or less. I had a few weeds that came up in my patch but sprayed once with 24d and after that it was clean.

Latest posts