Technology in your pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Jkroper20

Reaction score
Technology is becoming more apart of our lives everyday and has already revolutionized the row cropping industry. Will technology advance to the point of assisting us with taking care of our cattle? What technological advances do you guys think will be made (if any) or needs to be made in the next 100 years to make taking care of our cows just a little bit easier or more efficient? Merry Late Christmas guys! :cowboy:

100 years is a long time. No telling how many changes will come about by then. I doubt many cow/calf operations will be delving in to technology either. The majority are like me, and too small to afford much of it. To partially answer your question, it'd be neat if I could get an email when a cows water had broken.

I think something like that could be done if you could measure the breathing/pulse rate/body temp.. I think it wouldn't be that hard to do, but once a corporation gets the idea they need a 200% profit and it'll be unaffordable to us guys.

Good cow-cams are already a serious help, though I don't have them either

All very nice, but doubtful you will be more profitable because of it all. Cutting costs is the name of the game. Invest money in good bulls that keep the cows problem-free and doing their job. Gotta be profitable whether your selling $500 or $2000 calves. Otherwise you have to grow the herd to sustain your addiction to efficiency and before you know it, you can no longer handle the workload, have to hire an extra hand and profit just becomes some hazy dream.

The cropping industry has lost their mind with the 'efficiency' mentality. Only ones that became more profitable are the machinery, seed and chemical dealers.

Aaron":14xml13k said:
All very nice, but doubtful you will be more profitable because of it all. Cutting costs is the name of the game. Invest money in good bulls that keep the cows problem-free and doing their job. Gotta be profitable whether your selling $500 or $2000 calves. Otherwise you have to grow the herd to sustain your addiction to efficiency and before you know it, you can no longer handle the workload, have to hire an extra hand and profit just becomes some hazy dream.

The cropping industry has lost their mind with the 'efficiency' mentality. Only ones that became more profitable are the machinery, seed and chemical dealers.

I agree. But the farmers still in business here either play the game (to some extent) or get left behind. It's a double edged sword. It's not impossible but it's hard to maintain a business without growing or embracing change. But I couldn't agree more that the farmers aren't making more money. Just surviving. The others you mentioned are building empires.

http://moocall.com/

I am intrigued with the Moocall Calving Sensor, primarily for calving out heifers. But Murphy's Law; I'd place it on the heifer I thought was going to calve & naturally it would be the wrong one. Probably just easier & less expensive to set my alarm every couple hours & haul my a$$ down to the barn in the middle of the night or bed-down with 'em :)

I looked at Moocall.. a lot of money for it, and from what I remember, it needs a cell phone signal, which we don't have, and that would also mean a subscriber fee

Weather forecasting is an area that technology plays a part in and better long range forecasting and disseminating the info could assist a lot.
Ken

Aaron":1v41s8f7 said:

Fully agree Aaron, we farmed the home farm from 1945 till 2012, 4 generations. On that 180 acres I would have been close to a yield monitor, my father and grand father would have been as accurate if not more so, and known why. Computers are great, and we need them as we just can not learn the land like generations before us did. Many farms are too big, tractors are too big, and comfortable, there is just no chance to learn the same way.

Robotic dairies will probably be on the horizon probably at least 50 years before the public figures out that the color of the hair doesn't have anything to do with meat quality.

Jogeephus":3m8u44ll said:
Robotic dairies will probably be on the horizon probably at least 50 years before the public figures out that the color of the hair doesn't have anything to do with meat quality.
They already are. Not just automilkers but full robotics. From the cow walking into the milking station, cleaning the udder to finding the teat and applying the inflations to coming off and the cow walking out. Pretty amazing stuff

dun":vhebre7r said:
Jogeephus":vhebre7r said:
They already are. Not just automilkers but full robotics. From the cow walking into the milking station, cleaning the udder to finding the teat and applying the inflations to coming off and the cow walking out. Pretty amazing stuff

:nod: :nod: :nod:

While I have not had the opportunity to see this "in person", I have seen some photos and read some real interesting articles about some dairies that have implemented this technology.

Workinonit Farm":nx6hg15f said:
While I have not had the opportunity to see this "in person", I have seen some photos and read some real interesting articles about some dairies that have implemented this technology.
Saw it on Discovery channel a couple of years ago. Carousels are pretty common but the robotic deal was a real mind blower.

Genetics, both plant and animal, will probably be amazing.

Meds, vac, ect will also be a big one.

You will start seeing more electronic monitoring also. They say Wi-Fi will be floating in the air every where in the real near future. That will make all the monitoring devices practical. Just think if you start tracking all your cattle and see how far they travel for water, feed, shade, ect. That will be an efficiency game changer.

Solar/ battery powered items will be more prevalent and work better in general. That technology is going to explode very soon.

... and I do think quality of things you purchase will get better. With the enet and things like forums you can see thousands of reviews for a product in seconds. At the end of the day that equals accountability.

Looking back its interesting what has changed the game the last hundred years.

the round bale

tractors, trucks, trailers

battery and solar panels on water wells, hot wire fences, ect

Brute 23":2ai0hzsb said:
... and I do think quality of things you purchase will get better. With the enet and things like forums you can see thousands of reviews for a product in seconds. At the end of the day that equals accountability.
Online reviews are really pretty useless. If you read 100 reviews for a product there will be about the same percentage that says it's the greatest and it's crap. It's the small percentage in the midfdle, probably around 10% or less that are actually meaningful.

Latest posts