Tearing down a framed shed.

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I have a 24x40X10' framed shed I want to have someone tear down and haul away. It's on a floating slab, conventional framing with trusses. The exterior is galvanized tin, nailed on. The interior is white tin screwed on. Anyone ever had any experience in removing the exterior nailed on tin and reusing it?

I'm hoping to get someone who will tear it down and clean it up for the salvage. The tin is good, building is about 15 years old. Also, what should I have written up and signed as far as my liability is concerned?

I want them to take everything, short of the insulation. I will bury that. Any ideas?

be careful , the scrape guys will talk a good game but once the metal is removed and hauled off they will not be back. If you can get them to remove it and only let them haul it off after everything is done you might be ok.

I thought about that. Also thought about having them pay me a $250.00 deposit and I would pay them $500.00 back when it was all cleaned up and gone.

I do a lot of demo work and remove tin if its in good shape and reuse it all the time even the siding off trailers and trailer frames. I will tell you it can be more work tearing the tin off than its worth to be honest depending on a lot of factors. If its good heavy tin I will do it but that cheap flimsy corrugated or whatever no thanks. I tore down an old chicken house and made a shed out of the tin and trusses I believe its a fine line between worth the extra work and not so much. Metal prices have tanked like cattle so scrapers may not be in for the work.

Thanks Sky. It is the heavier stuff. I don't know the gauge but it's not thin. I was originally hoping to have an even up trade- you tear down and haul away and it's free. I might have to toss a few Franking's in to sweeten up the deal.

What about my liability? I can't imagine most of the people would carry their own.

millstreaminn":112linzb said:
Thanks Sky. It is the heavier stuff. I don't know the gauge but it's not thin. I was originally hoping to have an even up trade- you tear down and haul away and it's free. I might have to toss a few Franking's in to sweeten up the deal.

What about my liability? I can't imagine most of the people would carry their own.

Well with scrap down im sure you will have to sweeten up the deal unless burning on site is an option. Liability is all on you if you get a Joe Schmo on you place to tear it down with no insurance so that's something else you need to be thinking of. Sometimes in the long run its best to do it yourself or fork out the money to avoid BS in the long run. Hire a contractor with Insurance and sleep well.

I think that if it was mine, before I paid someone to tear it down, I'd put that money toward a dozer or excavator. Burn it, wad up what's left, and shove it in a hole. Around here, you can get an excavator rented relatively cheap, take care of the shed and other projects on the farm with the time that's left, and not have to put up with the hassle and mess of outside crew coming in.
If you were to sell it and make something on it then that would be something else to consider. Just mho.

I took a 4 inch grinder and cut the top and bottom 6 inches off of the sheet iron. From a pole barn. 12 foot pieces became 11 footers. Had to pull the screws out of the middle rung but that was the only holes in the sheets. I still have them. Stacked. Took the sliding doors down intact. Pulled the top sheets and sold them (most of them). Pulled the poles and sold them too after I busted the concrete off. I burned all remaining wood. The owners put an equipment shed in that location after I finished. All steel on a concrete slab.

talltimber":xvknw5cg said:
I think that if it was mine, before I paid someone to tear it down, I'd put that money toward a dozer or excavator. Burn it, wad up what's left, and shove it in a hole. Around here, you can get an excavator rented relatively cheap, take care of the shed and other projects on the farm with the time that's left, and not have to put up with the hassle and mess of outside crew coming in.
If you were to sell it and make something on it then that would be something else to consider. Just mho.

I could tear it down but don't have a handy place to burn/bury it. I have a guy that does odd jobs for me coming up to look tonight. The tin is in fine shape and I would hate to just scrap or bury it. The most convenient place to burn/bury it is right where it stands but I'm putting up a different building there and don't want fresh fill under it.

Well that sounds like it would be worth messing with? The way I am though, if I tore it off, it would have to be very bad condition before I wouldn't find a place to stack it/keep it. Might need it some day. Pack rat city.

Thanks for the info. I finally got out all of what was worth saving (I still had used milker inflations from when I had my dairy 25 years ago) Dug a small hole as far away from everything else as I could and started burning the contents in small batches. My buddy is going to start pulling the tin skin off the inside and outside Saturday. His son is going to use it to build a shed, so they are taking the trusses and walls too. All's I should be left with is the fiberglass insulation and the concrete pad. I did tell him I would throw in $400.00 when it is all gone also.

talltimber":19p16skq said:
Well that sounds like it would be worth messing with? The way I am though, if I tore it off, it would have to be very bad condition before I wouldn't find a place to stack it/keep it. Might need it some day. Pack rat city.

If I could part with 1/2 the "treasure" I have, I wouldn't need to tear this one down to build a bigger one. :lol: :roll:

Check prices for tin and wood at timeless lumber.com. They even offer free barn removal. I don't know anything about these people

Check timeless lumber.com. They sell old tin and barnwood. They offer free barn removal. I don't know anything about this company

Old "Barnwood" is in very high demand nowadays. I'm not real sure what the defining aspect of any lumber is to qualify as 'barnwood' as most I've seen looks an awful lot like nothing more than old pallet wood.

Latest posts