Taxes and Kansas Schools

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Had to go enroll the kids today for school. 3 kids and total cost of $120.00. Sure wish I new were my tax dollars were going? I am originally from OK and never heard of having to pay to go to school until I moved to KS.

along the same line every stinking sport my kids play cost around $40.00. $40.00 to play T-Ball. When I was a kid you did some fund raisers to raise money for sports but kids could play for free. Now you pay $40.00 and then they still want you to do fund raising, and the teams are sponsored by local bussinesses.

They are milking this Poor Janitor $40.00 at a time. :mad:

Last weekend the wife was going to buy school supplies for my stepson. She had a very large list of items. Most of his classes required at least one spiral notebook, specifically for that class. But, there was 1 class he had to have 3 individual notebooks for.

What ever happened to good ol looseleaf notebooks?

I think that is also the class the teacher required the students to provide the red markers for her to grade papers with.

Now, I know that teaching is probably the lowest paid profession for the importance of the work they perform, but this is gettin a little out of hand.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. Education is a must to succeed in today's world.

warpaint":3ew1i65h said:
Now, I know that teaching is probably the lowest paid profession for the importance of the work they perform, but this is gettin a little out of hand.

I suppose I shouldn't complain. Education is a must to succeed in today's world.

Yea we got some big list also. What I hated was we had to write a check to the School District, it was for Book Rental, etc.... Stuff that in OK our Tax Dollars paid for.

On the Teachers pay....there was an interesting episode of 20/20 a couple months ago that showed that for the hours and benefits Teachers are very high paid and in relationship to some other important positions.

Example: Last week my wife was part of 2 different Code teams that responded to a man and a woman that came in off the ambulance dead at the Hospital. As a Respiratory Therapist she was taking care of the Breathing part as the Doctor was working on the heart. One person died one person lived. She makes less than a teacher and does not get 3 moths of vacation a year.

What happens if you cant afford to pay the enrollment fee? Your kids not get to go to school? We don't have to do that in Texas, either.

As for school supplies, I am amazed at the things I buy that never get used, (gallon zip loc bags?) and things he will never use, like three boxes of Kleenex. This year my son had to have 12 folders, two of each color. Now this happens ever year and he always carries the same folder till it comes apart and then I have to get another one.

What happened to the other 11 folders?

I strongly suspect that teachers have the kids buy a lot extra to cover for those who can't afford, or who just plain wont purchase, supplies. I dont mind helping anyone out, but PLEASE be honest and let me know. I will be happy to contribute to a school supply drive, but I don't want to buy twice the supplies thinking that my son really needs them.

And about construction paper? When I worked at the pre-school, my other son's teacher told me not to buy it. She said that they had closets of it. In fact, one teacher donated a ton of it to the pre-school. My son will be in 6th grade. Why does he need construction paper? Tell me what 12 year olds are going to be interested in doing with construction paper?

As Warpaint stated we just bought school supplies. They also ask for a class fee of $25 and dry erase board cleaner, tissues, hand sanitizer, papertowels, antibacterial soap, 2 sizes of ziplocks, a bag (cloth with drawstrings) to carry books across the hall from each other, 4 teachers 4 list, not counting art, P.E. and library. Everyone has a list.

The teachers make between $25,000.00 to $55,000.00 here. Our School board pays entire insurence cost, unlike other businesses that employee shares. The teachers are not over burdened because the kids check each others homework and test.

I was a substitute teacher for 3 years in different classes form Kindergarden through High School, before I took my present job. I have no teaching certificate but I taught a class for 8 weeks while she had surgery. I taught special area kids, kids that were learning disabled, in Science, History and Math. I was not the greatest and I had lesson plans from that teacher but no one, other than that teacher I subed for, ever came to check on me except when I sent one to the office.

Subs make $40 a day no benefits.

The teachers talk on their cell phones in class. They leave the class room to go down the hall to chat about evening plans.

Well, I have seen really good teachers and really bad teachers. I think that when I meet my son's teacher for the first time every year, I let him or her know up front that I am taking a full time interest in my son's education, his grades, his attitude, and if need be, his discipline. Both my sons have had teachers who taught for three reasons; June, July and August. To them, I say, find another carreer.

To the majority of teachers who like what they do, I appaude you. Thank you.

To the rare few whom I know will inspire my sons, whom they will never forget, you are the chosen few that all other teachers aspire to be. I still remember the teachers all through school who really made a difference in my life. I think I had more than my fair share. Every child should have at least one.

For the record, I don't think that teachers are underpaid. Not around here, at least. I worked 12 months a year at my last job, with special needs people and I'm talking about the staff, not the clients :shock: , and make half the money that some teachers make. So I am not one of those that bemoan the salaries of teachers.

There are very few of us that are paid what we are worth.

I don't buy Kleenex. Not three boxes. If my kid gets a cold, I'll either keep him home or send tissues with him. He never gets sick so I don't see providing for those that do. I usually send one box.

Last year, we brought William's school supplies to his "meet the teacher" thing, before classes started, and a few days after school began I got a call from his teacher asking me where his supplies were. You can imagine what I said!

A few yrs back, our district starting selling something called "wrap packs". It essentially contains all the supplies on the supply list passed out by the schools. You pay for it at the end of the previous yr and when the kiddoe starts school the next yr it is handed to him and I guess either he gives the teacher what he doesnt need or she gives to him what he does need for the classes. It sure makes it nice to not have to fight all the crowds at the Walley Worlds and drug stores and such during the first week of school. I am sure they are making a profit or they wouldnt be doing it, but the hassle saved far outweighs any $$ problems, plus all his supplies are there the first day of school when he needs them.

On a side note, has anyone else paid any attention to all the tv/radio ads by the Tx Lottery Comission stating how much money they have given to Tx schools? Something like $8 billion in the past few yrs! (Our schools in Tx are a mess and need a serious overhaul as far as funding and/or mostly just in need of some serious supervision. Huge scandal now in Dallas schools in that everyone who asked for one got a district credit card and used it for personal purchases and stuff like gift cards/dating service membership/gym membership/dining out/family Christmas gifts and on and on with no tie in to school use at all. FBI is involved now and promises to prosecute the illegals, but who knows how long that will take. Some teachers/administrators spent well over $100k a yr on junk and have no receipts to prove what they purchased was for school use. ) Anyway, since the school funding is in such a mess, and the lawmakers are threatening to raise taxes to cover their a$$es, folks have been stepping up and asking why we aren't using the lottery proceeds to cover the school expenses, as was promised when the state passed the lottery vote. I guess the lottery folks got tired of hearing that complaint and went public with their radio ads basically saying that "Hey, dont blame us, we have given $8 billion dollars to our lawmakers and they have blown it on other things instead of using it for schools as it was supposed to be used.

eric":2el8urqz said:
A few yrs back, our district starting selling something called "wrap packs". It essentially contains all the supplies on the supply list passed out by the schools. You pay for it at the end of the previous yr and when the kiddoe starts school the next yr it is handed to him and I guess either he gives the teacher what he doesnt need or she gives to him what he does need for the classes. It sure makes it nice to not have to fight all the crowds at the Walley Worlds and drug stores and such during the first week of school. I am sure they are making a profit or they wouldnt be doing it, but the hassle saved far outweighs any $$ problems, plus all his supplies are there the first day of school when he needs them.

I used to buy supplies that way for my older son when we lived in Arlington, but none of the schools around here sell them like that. It isn't so much getting the supplies, although that can be a hassle if you wait to last minute, but it is what they want you to get and the quantity.

I don't mind buying stuff like notebook paper, but then when my son runs out after the first month of school and I get a note from school asking me to send more.

And do 6th graders need construction paper? Really? They should be past that point. Map colors, yes, but crayons? Really? I have yet to see anything made with construction paper come home or be posted in the school for the past two years. Just the odd Valentine or Christmas card. Same thing with glue. I usually get back an unopened bottle of glue at the end of the school year. I send it back the next. If you don't use it, then why buy it?

But it is the same way in college. I bought lots of books that the professors had on their lists and didn't crack a one of them because they weren't even used. And you pay 30.00 for a book and sell it back for 5.00. I told my older son, who is starting college, to wait till after the first day of class to see what was really required and if he could buy it from another student.

I always heard that Texas Lottery money wasnt really going to schools like it was supposed to, but rather, to the General Fund. I haven't researched it lately. I did see the new ads boasting how much money went to education, but my counter to that was that it was money that some people were using to buy scratch-offs instead of school supplies! Or lunches!

I don't know the real well-being of students in Texas hasn't taken a back seat to teacher salaries and test scores. My son's schools haven't had recess in two years because that used that time to study for the TAKS, the we complain because our kids are getting fat and that their behavior is out of control!

Duh! Let 'em have 30 minutes a day to run off some of those twinkies! I have actually complained to my son's school that kids aren't allowed any free time and that when they do have it, they aren't allowed to play games! Because "someone might get hurt!"

It boggles my mind! :roll:

Latest posts