Tarentaise crossbreeding to commercial and longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":2joa94za said:
Dylan Biggs (TK Ranch) had some Tarentaise in the Peace River area, I really liked his bull.
Might want to consider Gelbvieh.. Far better choice and availability, and really put some meat on the longhorn bones. One of my local Gelbvieh breeders had a cow live to 28, and had 24 calves.. in range conditions not a pampered pet.. that's certainly not the norm, but they do seem to hold up quite well.. available in tan or black too.

28 years is a long time for a cow.

So Gelbvieh come in yellow, tan, or black?

How big are the cows and bulls? Or do they just grow fast? Since you said they will put meat on their bones. But most beef breeds will put meet on Texas Longhorn cross calves. :)

Gelbvieh/Saler heifer.

I find they tend to mature around 13-1400 lbs with a modest frame and thick build.. depending on the cross the frame/weight will be more or less. My friend has some LonghornX cows that he bred to my GVxShorthorn bull and really like the improvement.. knocked a lot of the spots off and where we are the yellow calves sell well

I don't have any pictures of the LH calves, but here's one of his from a Jersey, they didn't look much different from the longhorns.

Nesikep said:
I find they tend to mature around 13-1400 lbs with a modest frame and thick build.. depending on the cross the frame/weight will be more or less. My friend has some LonghornX cows that he bred to my GVxShorthorn bull and really like the improvement.. knocked a lot of the spots off and where we are the yellow calves sell well

I don't have any pictures of the LH calves, but here's one of his from a Jersey, they didn't look much different from the longhorns.
[/quot

The Gelbvieh X Shorthorn bull crossed with a Longhorn cow would give you a pretty good three-breed cross. This way you also get all the benefits of having hardy Longhorns as mommas.

It may work better to have a Longhorn crossed with a continental bull, like your Gelbvieh, and then breed the heifers from that cross to maybe a black Angus bull. Or you could use another bull depending on what the market wants as far as color.

I have asked on this board about crosses with Longhorns and Jerseys and most people here say I am crazy. I think using Longhorns or Jerseys as foundation cows is a very inexpensive way to build a cattle herd. With the Jersey cows, a bunch of bottle babies that are of a beef breed or cross can be put on the cows. It's a way to make money with those cheap bottle babies.

Nesikep":3nd5qxyp said:
Oh for f$%$s sake.

Dylan Biggs (TK Ranch) had some Tarentaise in the Peace River area, I really liked his bull.
Might want to consider Gelbvieh.. Far better choice and availability, and really put some meat on the longhorn bones. One of my local Gelbvieh breeders had a cow live to 28, and had 24 calves.. in range conditions not a pampered pet.. that's certainly not the norm, but they do seem to hold up quite well.. available in tan or black too.

Try again. Dylan is at Hanna. In pretty dry conditions with lots of walking involved. Haven't seen any photos of longhorns there either.

Bullitt":dhomrwy0 said:
Nesikep":dhomrwy0 said:

[/quot

The Gelbvieh X Shorthorn bull crossed with a Longhorn cow would give you a pretty good three-breed cross. This way you also get all the benefits of having hardy Longhorns as mommas.

It may work better to have a Longhorn crossed with a continental bull, like your Gelbvieh, and then breed the heifers from that cross to maybe a black Angus bull. Or you could use another bull depending on what the market wants as far as color.

I have asked on this board about crosses with Longhorns and Jerseys and most people here say I am crazy. I think using Longhorns or Jerseys as foundation cows is a very inexpensive way to build a cattle herd. With the Jersey cows, a bunch of bottle babies that are of a beef breed or cross can be put on the cows. It's a way to make money with those cheap bottle babies.

If you are starting out, your last two sentences make more sense than anything else I've seen you post. Change that to Jersey x Holsteins and you will even be better.

gcreekrch":1qhxhuv5 said:
Bullitt":1qhxhuv5 said:
Nesikep":1qhxhuv5 said:

[/quot

If you are starting out, your last two sentences make more sense than anything else I've seen you post. Change that to Jersey x Holsteins and you will even be better.

Kiss it, a-hole.

No, Dylan has no longhorns to my knowledge,... the Longhorns I was talking about are in Falkland

I thought Dylan was WAY further north... they haven't moved in the last 5ish years have they?

Anyhow, if he's in Hanna, then he shouldn't be too far from Mpassmore.. If he doesn't have a bull he may know breeders?

Muddy":38l9pjoh said:
That is why I love cattle forum on Facebook....less arrogant azzholes on there and more real people. People on here just trying to makes themselves feel better by putting anyone down. So much insecurities.
Yep your right I hear you and Linda are friends on Facebook, maybe she'll be able to teach you something about cows. Big boy is probably for sale by now he'd do a good job on some longhorns.

Nesikep":1okiik3b said:
No, Dylan has no longhorns to my knowledge,... the Longhorns I was talking about are in Falkland

I thought Dylan was WAY further north... they haven't moved in the last 5ish years have they?

Anyhow, if he's in Hanna, then he shouldn't be too far from Mpassmore.. If he doesn't have a bull he may know breeders?
If Dylan did have, and cross some Longhorns,, I'd like to see them.. he's a good cowman...

True Grit Farms":2dt45jni said:
Muddy":2dt45jni said:
That is why I love cattle forum on Facebook....less arrogant azzholes on there and more real people. People on here just trying to makes themselves feel better by putting anyone down. So much insecurities.
Yep your right I hear you and Linda are friends on Facebook, maybe she'll be able to teach you something about cows. Big boy is probably for sale by now he'd do a good job on some longhorns.
Lol, you wish I were friends with Linda on Facebook. But at least she's real person and don't have to please the fools on this forum.

Cheap cattle can cost you time.
Depends on your resources and your goals.
May want to look at buying beefier older cows vs. dairy LH cross calves

Stocker Steve":3c8ntgdp said:
Cheap cattle can cost you time.
Depends on your resources and your goals.
May want to look at buying beefier older cows vs. dairy LH cross calves
I don't know about the cheap cattle can cost you time, but maybe they ain't use right bulls on their cows.

Nesikep":2sisvgyw said:

No, he hasn't moved. The ranch has been in the family for a while.

Muddy":85h9dg2f said:
gcreekrch":85h9dg2f said:
Muddy":85h9dg2f said:
Mpassmore85, remember that it's only 10-15 cattlemen on this forum out of thousands of cattlemen which isn't on this forum. You're asking their biased opinions on an internet forum full of insecure people. Who knows, they could be fake people with no life or imaginary life. Cattle forum on Facebook usually give you many honest answers and you can ask (insert a breed) breeders few questions on Facebook pages.

I was the first person to give my unbiased and polite opinion. It was only when the blarney started that the OP got called on it.
Or maybe it's the insecure ones that need some drama in their life so they just stirred up the shyt.

No Bud, I just call a spade a spade.

Bullitt":3qgt70e5 said:
gcreekrch":3qgt70e5 said:

Kiss it, a-hole.

:pretty: :cry2:

Dylan Biggs

I hope he is well. He posted pictures on Facebook on a daily basis. Magnificent pictures. He had to spend some time to produce such high quality pictures. He has not done that for a couple years.

Here is where he lives:
jug29y.png

Yes, mpassmore, this is most of my little bull herd. Could you post a photo of your 90 bulls please?