Tarentaise bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ONLY BEEF - the first time I read your remarks about the bull's condition, I figured your eyes were as good as your talki...I mean typing. However, I thought I'd keep my trap shut. After seeing these pictures though, you have to admit that it's pretty easy to see that this is truly a herd bull.

Compared to all the Tarentaise bulls I've seen, which is actually quite a few, I'd rank him in the top 5, without seeing him walk of course. Thick, deep, fleshy, and masculine, all in a smooth, straight package. They don't get much better.

And before anyone slams the yearling heifer on her 'hay-belly', as y'all seem to call it, that's how Tarentaise look for most of their 1st 18 months in life(remember saying the same thing about Kiku-fs's bull calf). They'll look pinched in the heart, and maybe flat-muscled, but as they mature and develop, everything comes into place. They're a very interesting breed, and I love having them in the mix of our crossbreeding program.

I was not impressed in the least bit by the original picture of the bull. would never have used the bull based on that picture. However, the second picture in the last set of pictures depicts an excellent animal. Remember this post next time someone says that pictures dont lie.

Mister Schnurrbart i always did wonder what kind a taste boot leather had ta it and now I'm guessen i know! Ya just had ta wait ta put up them there good photographs till i had et me the whole dang thing!

I aint got me know use for his sack, size or shape, but i reckon ifen yur just usen him in a terminal way ya got yur self a fine animal there.

back feet look questionable in the first picture. he looks like a good bull other than that... of course, back feet in a herd bull is a pretty important attribute.

I'll post one more picture of him, and then I will quit. Here he is as a yearling. He weighed 1080# here.

DSCF0003.JPG

Ill. doesn't look that much different than Ga. I notice you heve some spiny pigweed in your grass(my Uncle Tom called it careless weed). I have the same thing. It's a bad agent. Ouch.

ga. prime":3vuhhy3g said:
Ill. doesn't look that much different than Ga. I notice you heve some spiny pigweed in your grass(my Uncle Tom called it careless weed). I have the same thing. It's a bad agent. Ouch.

Yes, I fight that all the time along with Canadian Thisle. That is what I really hate! The pigweed takes over every place you feed hay

Canucklehead Thistle, eh? Cows are your best bet. Forget sprays and crap, just put lots of animals on the area with intense pressure. Best way to do that is put their mineral or salt licks/blocks right in the middle of the patch. Within days the patch will look like you roto-tilled it, and whenever it pops up again, move the licks. It spreads by its roots more than seeds, so the pressure works good.

Roadapple":3sotw17a said:
Schnurrbart":3sotw17a said:
Now mind you , I'm losing my sight and this is just a picture, but to me those back legs just don't look right, looks light over front shoulders, and looks a little hay bellied to me. Is it the glasses that I'm using , that I found at an auction Fri., the picture, or me?

I was just thinking that I have heard that phrase said about horses but most folks I know refer to cows as having a lot of volume.

ONLY-BEEF":v5zekvc1 said:
Mister Schnurrbart i always did wonder what kind a taste boot leather had ta it and now I'm guessen i know! Ya just had ta wait ta put up them there good photographs till i had et me the whole dang thing!

I aint got me know use for his sack, size or shape, but i reckon ifen yur just usen him in a terminal way ya got yur self a fine animal there.

:) ONLY-BEEF you are not the first nor will you be the last person on this board that has put their foot in their mouth! ;-)

To tell you the truth from the first picture I could not have agreed with you first statement more.

Of course after seeing the rest of the pics we can see he is a much better bull then once thought. I to am concerned with the shape and size of his testicular development and considering the breed he is it even has me more worried. What gives Schnurrbart was it just cold that day or what? ;-) :oops:

S.R.R.":g5j30g1t said:
ONLY-BEEF":g5j30g1t said:

:) ONLY-BEEF you are not the first nor will you be the last person on this board that has put their foot in their mouth! ;-)

To tell you the truth from the first picture I could not have agreed with you first statement more.

Of course after seeing the rest of the pics we can see he is a much better bull then once thought. I to am concerned with the shape and size of his testicular development and considering the breed he is it even has me more worried. What gives Schnurrbart was it just cold that day or what? ;-) :oops:

I don't know. They look OK to me. Never measured them but he doesn't seem to have any trouble. Now you've got me worried :(

Latest posts