Talking Smack. What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":2l8mg42n said:
What if I request a meeting with him and the Vice Principal in her office? To clear the air, so to speak?

If you want to meet, what are you trying to achieve? Why do you need the VP? That's going to put someone on the defensive. If you have something to discuss with him, go to him and discuss it. But, even if you two reach an understanding, it is not going to stop all the blabbing that started all of this in the first place.

He is going to have his friends and cronies. Folks always do. They will be supportive of him and resist change. (folks always do) You are change. Some will welcome it but most probably won't. You have a target on and that's just how it is.

Whatever you do, don't include the VP in the discussion. The last thing a supervisor wants to do is get involved in something like this. Resolve it in your own approach and the VP and the old teacher on the defensive with both be admiring you. - or just let it take its course.

backhoeboogie":2cd5sqdf said:
Whatever you do, don't include the VP in the discussion. The last thing a supervisor wants to do is get involved in something like this.

This type of situaion is exactly what a GOOD supervisor wants to deal with, and early.

Lammie is the one that has to assess the 2 ( or more ) approaches.

ALX.":8czstl3c said:
backhoeboogie":8czstl3c said:
Whatever you do, don't include the VP in the discussion. The last thing a supervisor wants to do is get involved in something like this.

This type of situaion is exactly what a GOOD supervisor wants to deal with, and early.

Lammie is the one that has to assess the 2 ( or more ) approaches.

As someone who supervised people for a lot of years, I personally would have attempted to deal with it. And for all I know, it was handled. I don't know. I didn't do anything with it.

The opinion school wide is that this guy is a kook and they can't wait for him to go. I don't even know if they are throwing him any sort of retirement luncheon. One of our custodians is retiring and she's getting a luncheon, but not this guy. He might not have wanted it, I don't know.

Anyway, he does not say anything to me, nor I to him. There really isn't any reason for us to come into contact with one another. He was absent last Friday, he's been gone every friday this semester trying to use up his personal days, which think is unprofessional, but whatever... and we rarely come into contact with one another. I was gone on a trip with the seniors yesterday. Two more days of school and one teacher inservice day.

And I figure that there was at least one other person interested in that position, for her father, but it was not a consideration.

Then you are down to the short rows. Just let it go and consider the source. Discussion may make a worse situation of it. He may be looking to vent and you would just give him the avenue.

Lammie":3r033uio said:
And for all I know, it was handled. I don't know. I didn't do anything with it.

I suspect this may be the case. An indirect stern comment made at the right time in the presence of the right people can stop a lot of rumour mongering crap.

His behaviour , and the fact you have had no more trouble indicate maybe you have a good vp or principal.

I appreciate the advice. It gave me some things to consider before I went off half cocked!

ALX.":3kcw17la said:

If that GOOD supervisor has 70 employees, there is no way the supervisor has 5 minutes time for each one every day. That is not even considering time for students or paperwork.

Try supervising over 70 people sometime. Then come back and tell me you don't really appreciate the 60 that get along and get things done. Those ten high maintenance people who can't make desicions, can't get along with others, are going to eat your lunch. Inevitably, one of them is the Superintendant's son, two are with the client. Two are three are somehow connected other wise and the higher ups want them under your mentorship. So you are stuck with a high maintenance few who take up all your day.

Some day when you agree with something I have to say ALX, send me a pm.

backhoeboogie":1ysx7l41 said:
So you are stuck with a high maintenance few who take up all your day.

Baglickers. You get rid of them right off the bat! I don't mean fired, just let em know you run the show and their rumour mongering politics will get them undesireable duties in a flash.

Boogie I supervised 28 regularily and for special occassions, hundreds. All cops. Talk about spider webs.

I agree with both points you made about folks doing things.

Let it drop , I wasn't taking a shot at you.

Have supervised as many as 48, working 24/7 in six different group homes. Had to deal with problems at all hours. I didn't like it very much.

My husband is known at work as "The Terminator" because he's fired as many as six folks in a week. He normally does at least one a week, but he was hired to slay dragons and that's what he does.

Last day for students tomorrow. This fellow wasn't even there today and may not be there tomorrow. We shall see. He's using up all his personal days. No one is in ISS at the moment anyway, as it is finals week and even the trouble makers take tests.

Lammie":btn9tcqc said:
Have supervised as many as 48, working 24/7 in six different group homes. Had to deal with problems at all hours. I didn't like it very much.

My husband is known at work as "The Terminator" hmm no comment but that may be why you are smiling all the time..very sexy..

Last day for students tomorrow.
So you are doing the happy dance right now..
:banana: Woohoo.........

Lammie it will all work out ,,no bubbles no troubles.. ;-)

Yes, doing the happy dance. It has been an interesting week because of all the activity and because my more, uh, rotund co-worker has been wearing some interesting clothing this week and it has been a treat to see what she will come up with. Picture me, eighy pounds heavier, wearing a mini skirt and you have some sort of picture of the image burned into my mind... :help: She's too large to cross her legs and she was sitting in the gym during the senior slide show with her legs apart, and I mean, knees at shoulder width, skirt ridining way above mid thigh. And my legs aren't the best, but the gal got some hail damage, if ya know what I mean... :cry2:

Yesterday it was short shorts, but she was going on a trip with the seniors to Six Flags, so I can let that one go.

Who knows what it will be today. Stay tuned for new developments. :compute:

Did you smell bacon?

This woman I work with also had a bathing suit top under her tee shirt. I am gonna ask a couple of the seniors today if she took that off while she was on the trip. Geez, I don't know. I realize that a lot of folks are overweight, and that's their business. I just don't want to be exposed to too much of my co-worker. She's dating a maintenance guy there at the school and I am sure she was trying to impress him.

Sad thing? She also drives a bus. I don't know how she did it in that tight skirt.

Good gosh Lammie. Now I have to clean my screen as I just got the worst vision in my head , I am imagining your school is the school that Bart and Lisa go to with Mrs. Crabapple and Grounds Keeper Willy...OMG LMFAO>>> :lol2: :lol2: :lol:

You poor gal, at least you are being entertained.. :cowboy:

She was dressed okay yesterday, darn it. She was on a roll, too.

Today is the last day of school for the staff. Just cleaning up and a luncheon.

Yes, it reminds me very much of The Simpsons. Especially the lunch ladies. Something there is about a lunch lady.

Anyway, we still have one more day and I shall see today what the wardrobe shall bring. I'll let you know if there are buns hanging or anything. :eek:

Lammie":38wn1di0 said:
What if I request a meeting with him and the Vice Principal in her office? To clear the air, so to speak? I really feel like I want to know where this is coming from. It concerns me greatly. This retiring teacher has taken to parking next to me even though his classroom is at the other end of the school and he could park closer. It is a little strange.

Why would he care who is taking over his job if he is retiring? makes me wonder if he doesn't have something to hide, and is afraid that when you take over next year, it will come out.

I'd say confront him, in private, maybe on the last day of school, and just ask him why he is being like he is, if only for your peace of mind.

GMN

It is ego, I think, to think that a paraprofessional could take over the job that he, a certified teacher, has been doing for the past several years. But there is a reason why he was taken out of the regular classroom. I think they were trying to get him to resign, they shuttle teachers into undesireable positions when they want them to quit, and he didn't take the bait.

In response, he's done a lousy job with that group, everyone knows it, and teachers have been clammering for someone who will come in and make ISS what it is supposed to be, punishment, (I hate that word, but it is the best I can come up with now) and not nap time. Kids prefer ISS to the regular classroom.

I am not saying I can do it any better, but I think I can. My goal is to have those kids come to appreciate their regular classes by instituting a set of classroom rules that are fair, consistent and predictable. I want to take those "frequent flyers" and make the ISS experience such that they are wanting to go back to their classes and will avoid returning in the future. I don't think that is brain surgery.

Part of that job, too, is to be able to assist students in their classroom work, as they must make up assignments while they are in ISS. I am not a math person, so that might be dicey, but I think I can communicate that to the math department and make arrangements for when I get stuck. Otherwise, I can handle most of the general curriculum, and there aren't going to be any Honors students in there to start with. A lot of those kids are taking Freshmen level or Resource classes, stuff I am now familiar with from the group I have.

I also want to talk to the proncipal about the students only getting 80% credit for assignments completed in ISS. These kids get full credit for their work now, and I don't know of any other school where one can get full credit for worked completed while suspended. It is another incentive to stay out of that class and attend regular classes.

If this rambles, sorry. I just have a brain full today...

Txwalt":12957wzk said:
Lammie,

You are funny. :D I bet your a hoot in person. :lol:

Walt

Yissir, Walt. That's why I make the big bucks... :cry2:

Latest posts