Talking Smack. What to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I work at a rural high school as a teaching assistant. Starting in the fall, I am going to take on the In School Suspension class, (ISS) from a certified teacher who is retiring. This teacher, although he has thirty years of classroom experience, has been doing this job for the past five years or so, I gather. I don't know him except by name, (I don't get out of my classroom a lot unless I am with students), and I have never had a conversation with him. I have heard a lot about how ineffective he's become, but I don't know him personally, so I have never said anything about him.

I was offered this position by the principal. He asked me one day and I said that I would be interested. The principal made a comment at that time, in front of other teachers, that this teacher should have retired a long time ago. I didn't pay it any mind, other than to think of it as kinda unprofessional that he said that.

Then, when other teachers found out I was taking the job, they started coming up to me and saying stuff like, "I heard you are gonna be a real mean teacher in ISS," or "I heard you weren't going to make ISS a pleasant place to be." I don't know who said those things and it started to get on my nerves because I never made a single comment about it to anyone. And while I am known for being a disciplinarian, (I work with special needs kids and they need a firm, consistent hand), I was actually thinking of ways to make the class interesting. Kids fall asleep in there now. He allows the kids to leave, have visitors and he gives them candy... It is said that some of the kids prefer ISS to going to class. I was going to be much more firm than that, but I certainly wasn't going to be mean.

Anyway, the Vice Principal approached my supervisor earlier this month and advised her that the things I was saying were getting back around to the retiring teacher whom I am replacing, and that I needed to watch what I say... :mad:

Well, I flipped. I went to see the VP and I explained to her that I never had said anything about the retiring teacher, that I did not know him and that I had no idea where those things were coming from. She wasn't mad. She just told me that the other teachers were tired of the retiring teacher, and that they wanted someone like me to be with the ISS group and that they knew I would do a better job. She said just to hang on and school would be over soon. She also told me to continue taking the high road on this.

TODAY I found out that the retiring teacher has been going to other teachers complaining, saying he's insulted that an aide was hired to take his place and that I would not be able to do the job. If he's talking smack to teachers, I can imagine what he's saying to the students in his class. It makes me see red. I haven't done anything wrong, and yet he's still out there wagging his tongue about me.

Just because I don't have a piece of paper saying I am a teacher, I still have a degree, I have taught privately, I have almost a decade of experience teaching vocational skills for MHMR, and I am more than competent to handle this job. I can't stand the idea that this guy is talking about me when he doesn't even know me. I have thought of getting my certificate to teach, but I don't know that I want to do that. I was kinda done with school, ya know? and although I don't make a lot of money, it is a nice part time job. I don't have to hassle with grading papers or staying late or sponsering groups. I can work for seven and a half hours a day and go home to my family and chores.

I was thinking of just approaching him in the hall or the lounge and asking him if he has any issues with me that he'd care to talk about. I have been told to keep quiet because school's out next week anyway and he'll be gone. But this is my good name here, and I don't want anyone trying to sully it, especially when I have gone out of my way to avoid gossip about this man.

I am sorry this is so long. What do you all think I should do? Confront him or remain quiet, or maybe something else, like file a complaint about him. He's retiring, but he will probably still hang around the school as a sub or something. They all do.

Lammie, I would be really irritated, also. But, being on the outside looking in, I think it would be best to avoid this guy like you've been counseled to do. Anything you approach him with, he'll twist to his own benefit. There's a reason that guy's been the ISS babysitter...just keep your head down, your mouth shut and let the dust settle over the summer.

Just my thoughts...

Alice

Sounds like there are a lot of teachers sitting around wagging their tongues rather than minding the shop. Sounds like a typical case of he said she said he said. Though it would be hard, I'd just keep my mouth closed and ride the week out. If you never said anything about him how can you be sure he said anything about you. Personally, I'd be wanting to know who the puppet-master is cause this is the person you best watch cause a knife in the back is pretty hard to pull out. (BTW, if you chose to ride it out and things get on your nerves just cup your hand and put it over your ear and you will hear the ocean. Let your mind's eye see the rest of the scenery)

I agree with Alice. Probably best to let it go, even though I know how tempting it is to smack him up side the head. Maybe things will cool down over the summer. Then you can come in next fall and do the bang-up job we all know you'll do as his replacement. Let your actions speak for themselves.

What if I request a meeting with him and the Vice Principal in her office? To clear the air, so to speak? I really feel like I want to know where this is coming from. It concerns me greatly. This retiring teacher has taken to parking next to me even though his classroom is at the other end of the school and he could park closer. It is a little strange.

Lammie":x12ozulf said:
I want to know where this is coming from. It concerns me greatly. This retiring teacher has taken to parking next to me even though his classroom is at the other end of the school and he could park closer. It is a little strange.

He probably wants to know too. Since he is parking near you, I would make it a point to introduce myself to him and tell him that you were asked to take his place next year since he is RETIRING. I would also be humble and dumb and tell him that you would appreciate any suggestions or pointers from his experience. Maybe this humbleness will break the ice and you both can figure out who the troublemaker is.

Lammie,

The perpetrator could be anyone from teachers to maintenance to the in school suspension teacher. You'll never really know...and since you are an aide (even tho you have a degree) rather than a certified teacher, you are one heck of a target for some small minded person. Take the high ground...act as tho you are above all of it and say nothing. This will die down over the summer. The school is thrilled that they aren't having to pay a certified teacher's salary (as low as that is, btw), and they're probably glad the outgoing teacher is "outgoing." Ride it out.

Lot's worse things happen in Alvarado, within and without of the school system...something will come up and this will be forgotten. As far as your worrying about your good name? Again, don't worry about that in Alvarado...that little place has bigger fish they enjoy frying.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Alice

That's a tough one...Someone sure is a sh@t disturber... I would do the sit down with you and the VP ,clear the air I bet he will either do a lot of back tracking or you all will find that one of your co workers is causing everyone a lot of grief.

Good luck ...

Or you could do what Alice suggested as well..Either way the job is yours and you were appointed it for a reason ,because you are qualified and respected.

Lammie, one question...is this a contract position? If it isn't, don't worry about it...if it is, hey, you have next school year to prove yourself. Like Van C said...you'll take care of the job and be offered the position next year, and next year, and next year....

Alice

dont be a door mat for this guy. if he is going to be thier next year subing, he's going to be in your business all the time and starting trouble. you need to head this off but the problem is figuring out how to approach the situation so that it will not only let him know not to mess with you, but make the person pulling the strings be carfull or they will be next on your list. or you could just kick him between the legs so hard his grandchildren will feel it, bet that would get everyones attention! :lol2:

Take the high road and don't get caught up in "who said what". Your supervisor has not approached you about a problem. If you start talking to your managers about what you heard, or to clear the air, it is possible you will be viewed as a "potstirrer", and really become no different, than the people who are trying to stir up trouble. Look at it this way, schools almost out, the retiree will be gone next year. New year, new start, maybe even new students. Next year, you'll find out real fast where the real trouble is.....

What I would advise is laying low through the next week and letting this thing die over the summer. UNFORTUNATELY, what I would be tempted to DO if I was in the situation is walk up to him and make an azz of myself. Don't do that. You've got all summer to let this go away on it's own. JMO.

fourstates":1nn7dgmr said:
Take the high road and don't get caught up in "who said what". Your supervisor has not approached you about a problem. If you start talking to your managers about what you heard, or to clear the air, it is possible you will be viewed as a "potstirrer", and really become no different, than the people who are trying to stir up trouble. Look at it this way, schools almost out, the retiree will be gone next year. New year, new start, maybe even new students. Next year, you'll find out real fast where the real trouble is.....

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice

skyline":13kcnpx6 said:
What I would advise is laying low through the next week and letting this thing die over the summer. UNFORTUNATELY, what I would be tempted to DO if I was in the situation is walk up to him and make an azz of myself. Don't do that. You've got all summer to let this go away on it's own. JMO.

Again...

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Alice

Someone around you is having laughs about this and it is getting under your skin. I would do as Jo suggest go to him humble and tell him you was ask to take this position and any pointer from him would be greatly appreciated. I will bet after doing this you will get the best night sleep you have had in the last few weeks.
You are in a work place and every work places jealousy and prankster. I would not let it bother as I know it is hard not to.

It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, there's always someone there that wants to be a trouble-maker. If you don't participate, it will go away.

In the meantime, always remember that EVERYTHING you say can and will be used against you. Ever heard of fanning the fire? :D

i see 2 things in what you said.1 i bet the retiring teacher was forced to retire.an he is very madd an upset about it.an he could be bad mouthing you because you was offered the job an took it.but you have no proof as to who is running their mouths.2 sounds like some other teachers wanted that job.an it wasnt offered to them.so they could be mouthing off because you got it.but again theres no proof.so id ignore the talk.an i would not say nothing to the teacher or princapel.

Lammie":1zgbncrl said:
What if I request a meeting with him and the Vice Principal in her office? To clear the air, so to speak? I really feel like I want to know where this is coming from. It concerns me greatly. This retiring teacher has taken to parking next to me even though his classroom is at the other end of the school and he could park closer. It is a little strange.
Very good advice for yourself. Hiding from problems never got anything solved. Get it out in the open, find the source and step on it. Otherwise it may become worse. By doing nothing you look weak to your peers and maybe even students. If you cannot stand up to another teacher how would you ever stand up to the type of kids you will be dealing with? You may even find that you can swing this guy into being respectful toward you, which after all is what you will have to do with your students.
Now is the time to set the ground work for the upcomming year by showing others what you are made of.

novatech":28kez27w said:
Lammie":28kez27w said:
Very good advice for yourself. Hiding from problems never got anything solved. Get it out in the open, find the source and step on it. Otherwise it may become worse. By doing nothing you look weak to your peers and maybe even students. If you cannot stand up to another teacher how would you ever stand up to the type of kids you will be dealing with? You may even find that you can swing this guy into being respectful toward you, which after all is what you will have to do with your students.
Now is the time to set the ground work for the upcomming year by showing others what you are made of.

Nova just saved me a lot of typing.

Keep your mouth shut-if the problem is there next year,deal with it then---If he is that bad,the school won't call on him to sub..

Latest posts