Take a guess at the cost...The Rest of the Story

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom":vez65y0x said:
He would rather stand in the middle of the class with her than show his other heifers. I was ready to remove her eye and turn her into a pasture cow. However, he spent his hard earned money to give her one more chance to keep her eye.

And there you have it... I know a family that spent 600 bucks on a mutt dog some thirty years ago.
Boys sometimes bond beyond words with their animals...

That dog came out three legged and lived to be twenty
Sure am glad that my mom paid the bill? :clap:
Some things cant be sold and almost all the best things cant be bought.

I sure miss that dog....

redfornow":on555u9m said:
ffamom":on555u9m said:
He would rather stand in the middle of the class with her than show his other heifers. I was ready to remove her eye and turn her into a pasture cow. However, he spent his hard earned money to give her one more chance to keep her eye.

And there you have it... I know a family that spent 600 bucks on a mutt dog some thirty years ago.

I sure miss that dog....

Here, here -- it reminds me of our son... traded his best heifer with us for an "average" one in the herd so we wouldn't sell her... she's still with the herd and comes running to his voice when he comes over for dinner.

Give her a break! The actual cost turned out to be far less than most of the "educated guesses", but everyone seems to be coming on like was a poor decision and berating ffamom. If it was worth $400 to this family not to break their kid's heart, what's wrong with that? And $400 for the length of time they boarded and worked on the animal sounds very reasonable.

MO_cows":36e4i0uo said:
Give her a break! The actual cost turned out to be far less than most of the "educated guesses", but everyone seems to be coming on like was a poor decision and berating ffamom. If it was worth $400 to this family not to break their kid's heart, what's wrong with that? And $400 for the length of time they boarded and worked on the animal sounds very reasonable.

Noone is writing that the poster made any bad decisions and noone is berating the poster. Where do you get that? I think you are mistaken.

redfornow":28pdgm0q said:
ffamom":28pdgm0q said:

I sure miss that dog....

Good Post!

MO_cows":363rmkcu said:

Nobody is putting "mom" down. She did the right thing. Doesn't matter if it's a good bull or an old nag of a horse. That's what the vet hospital if there for. They can't go out and injure animals just to have something to work on so they simply try to cover the bare expenses. I'm sure most expenses are covered by research grants....A&M has been doing this for ages. I doubt a triple crown winner would ever show up anyway so not a worry.

HerefordSire, your post included, "Does the heifer wear purple and have royal blood?"

Backhoeboogie said, "I would not have spent the money. Time is one thing but throwing good money after bad is another."

That reads like berating to me!

Since then, other much more positive comments have been posted, and I'm glad to see it.

MO_cows":y2zdl0qm said:
HerefordSire, your post included, "Does the heifer wear purple and have royal blood?"

Backhoeboogie said, "I would not have spent the money. Time is one thing but throwing good money after bad is another."

Since then, other much more positive comments have been posted, and I'm glad to see it.

The criticism was aimed at the vet for charging fees almost equivalent to motel room fees, not the payer of the fees. Also, boogie's comment was wise. I would suggest you take a couple of breathes of fresh air and consider all possible meanings of posts before accusations.

MO_cows":2ptqxpk6 said:

My apologies to mom if my post was perceived as a slam toward her decisions. It appears to me her decision was based on her son and not on a business. If the animal belonged to my grandson, I may have made a similar choice. I would not make that choice for one out of my herd. It is all about profit and not about education.

As usual the value we place on anything has more sway than the actual value of whatever it is. All of you have bought some useless
thingamabob that a kid had his/her heart set on.. The happyness of the person is of much more value than mere money. I think the right choice was made.

Thank you for the comments. I agree with all. I didn't see a single one as offensive. Sometimes your head tells you one thing, but your heart tells you another.

ffamom":1t9ymvxq said:
Sometimes your head tells you one thing, but your heart tells you another.

How did we get off to discussing marriages? :D :D :D

I am really glad you were not offended by my words.

backhoeboogie":1tyk2i0i said:
ffamom":1tyk2i0i said:
Sometimes your head tells you one thing, but your heart tells you another.

How did we get off to discussing marriages? :D :D :D

I am really glad you were not offended by my words.

Sure she wasn't talking about sex? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Me also ffamom.

I've been going to the A & M clinic for over 10 years.. more so in the past four years since my "local" vet moved to Amarillo, and his replacement only does cattle reluctantly.. and not very well.

They typically are cheaper than what you would expect for surgery, and diagnostics.. and the main thing is that they have an excellent facility and staff, so you're pretty sure to get a diagnosis and some good suggestions for treatment, etc. when you do go there. I love the vets there, and wouldn't take anything important any where else.

And yes, room and board has gotten expensive, just like everything else has! They have costs to cover as well... and the rooms are air conditioned! :banana:

I think it was right to take her there and it was right to spend 600 on a dog, I spent thousands over the life of my dog that made it to 15 1/2 and would spend it all and lots more to have him here and healthy again but thats getting off the subject. Don't forget something was learned on this hefier that will teach some new vets something.

I think it is your decision in the end and only yours..You have to live with that decision everyday..

You all would have a fit if I posted how much it has cost us for Steffie thus far..Needless to say I could have stayed at a 5 star resort for less..BUT I LOVE MY STEFFIE.......And time with someone you love is priceless.. :heart:

Ffamom a happy son is priceless as well.. :nod:

The heifer's iris cyst/abscess came back and was twice the size as it was to begin with. We tried to get the local vets to take out her eye but they wouldn't because she could still see out of it. We couldn't let it be because the heifer was in so much pain.

We were in the College Station area so we took her back to the clinic. They wanted to try one last thing before her eye was removed...they put her under, drained the cyst, injected an antibiotic and steriod in the lesion/cyst. Lucky for us someone sponsored her care and paid the cost. The vets stated that they would not charge if we had to come back and have the eye removed.

This time the heifer has had superior results. It has only been a week, but she keeps her eye open and seems to be pain free. Last time she only last 3 days before the pain was back and her eye was closed.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that her eye problems are a thing of past.

Latest posts