Tail head? 13th Rib fat? Is he ready to Butcher?

Help Support CattleToday:

Slicks

Reaction score
I have a couple of Angus/Hereford cross steers that I have on grass pasture for butchering, I keep reading about looking at the Tail head area or the 13th Rib fat or the brisket area? First off can some one explain to me what the tail head area actually is? I think i know the general area but can some one be more specific? The same with the 13th rib area? Cant Google the last one!

What i am looking for is tell tale signs that butchering time is coming close?

Also do you let your steers graze grass when graining them to finish them off? Opinions please? I plan to start graining in August for a late October Processing date (90 Days before)? Is this enough time to marble these boys up? I personally like a good marble in my meat I don't think Grass alone can give! (again open for opinions). 3 of the half's are going to be sold to friends/customers.

I am not ashamed to admit i am a new-be to raising cattle for myself, my family raised cattle when i was real little but the ranch got sold and i just don't remember all the stuff I should have!

Thanks for the help!

I'm no expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt.

I always wait for the steer's empty scrotum to start collecting fat. In my experience, when the scrotum fills out with fat the steer is as finished as he's gonna get.

I usually supplement hay (and minerals) with grain or sweet feed for 2-3 months before butchering. I minimize the amount of walking they do when finishing, no need burning off any fat, so no grazing.

I'm interested to see what other folks have to say about this.

We were always told it took 90 days on feed for the meat to marble. We offered free choice feed for 100 days. They remained on pasture or free choice hay during that time.
Look at where the tail joins the back. As the beef fattens, that area is often used as a gauge as to how fat the critter is. We aim for 2 wrinkles, which makes for 3 little humps.

The fat thickness between the 12th and 13th rib is used to calculate yield grade. That is the most accurate place to evaluate, and is also where they are quality graded using the ribeye. 4 tenths of an inch is considered finished and is what you are shooting for for them to be well-marbled, but not overly fat and wasty. Just look at pictures of winning slick show steers...they are what you are shooting for. 3 tenths would also be acceptable...feed can be expensive, and that might be enough marbling for you. Just comes down to genetics and personal preference. I like Choice, but am perfectly happy with a tender Select.

Animals fatten from front to back, so when they start getting a lot of cod/flank/pone fat, you know they are finished, or getting really close to it.

I've seen some with way too much tailhead pone fat, grossly overfinished animals delivered to the processor I used to live next to. That ended up as waste or burger filler.

From the pictures you posted, it won't take long to finish them off. They are about done now. good luck. :tiphat:

Thanks for all the post I'll always take more advice anytime but I am starting to get the gist of what i need to be looking for!

Thanks again

Tim/South":imt5c8bc said:
We were always told it took 90 days on feed for the meat to marble. We offered free choice feed for 100 days. They remained on pasture or free choice hay during that time.
Look at where the tail joins the back. As the beef fattens, that area is often used as a gauge as to how fat the critter is. We aim for 2 wrinkles, which makes for 3 little humps.

Let me get this right...100 days free choice feed meaning "grain mixture"? I understand that but I also see percentages being thrown around of grain ratio to weight? so if you offer free choice (meaning its in front of them any time they want it) why is every one giving a ratio?

thanks
Slick

Free choice hay and 2-3 percent of their body weight in grain. If they have not been on grain work them up to slowly, Start with about six pounds and add a pound or 2, every 3 or 4 days until you get them where you want. You might want to add some pro-bios to the feed as you go just to keep their guts on track.

Small balls of fat at the tail head, the cod is full, ribs have cover and the brisket is filled, that's what I shoot for.
100_1748.jpg

IMG00037-20100713-1922.jpg

Slicks":1jwky17r said:
Tim/South":1jwky17r said:

Let me get this right...100 days free choice feed meaning "grain mixture"? I understand that but I also see percentages being thrown around of grain ratio to weight? so if you offer free choice (meaning its in front of them any time they want it) why is every one giving a ratio?

thanks
Slick
We free choice feed but it is not grain based. We were feeding a blend, equal parts of peanut hull, soy hulls and corn gluten.
They ate a lot the first 2 days. Then they just ate a little, got a drink and snoozed. Got up, ate some grass, took a few bites of feed and took another snooze in the shade.

Latest posts