tags

Help Support CattleToday:

our county show requires tags. our calves are tagged at birth and when they get to pre-show we remove the birth tags and put fair tags in their place.

Most often people take the tags out of show calves. Unless you have to have then in for 4-H or etc. It kinda makes the calf look more natural and classy!

Have one catch a tag and split an ear and they will be cut out as soon as they hit the show barn unless they must have a county tag. It only happens to the best one.

All our calves are tagged at birth. We usually cut the tags out of them when we do the big clip before the show. It is convenient to do it then. Its common practice to take the tags out of breeding stock - I guess it looks a bit neater in the show ring. Although, it does make it difficult to tell between the show females when they are back out in the paddock (doesnt help that murray greys are the same colour - I miss my shorties, they were easy to tell apart, cos of all the patches etc).

With hoof n hook steers here, the shows assign a number and a tag. One of the major shows sends the tags out to you, and you have to tag them before you come to the show. The rest of them tag the steers as they come in for weighing - if you have another tag in them at the time they will cut it out and replace it.

With the goats, it it easy - they all keep their original tags in.

Hi all....I'm wanting to see if I'm understanding this right...
If I go to a bigger show...I'm going to cut out any eartags that might be in my cows/heifers/calves? Doesn't the "hole" look kind of funny?
Thanks for clarifying...I certainly don't want to look like the village idiot but at county we just leave them in...

Braunviehboy":u6f09zsl said:
Do you leave cow tags or put tags in show claves ears.

all market animals have to have one in florida. show heifers don't have to have one but all of my cattle do. makes it easier to explaine to gramps that "the grey heifer goes with 29c" or "145 has pink eye" so he can figure out who im talking about, he cant remember names.

Wisteria Farms":263wj3a9 said:
Hi all....I'm wanting to see if I'm understanding this right...
If I go to a bigger show...I'm going to cut out any eartags that might be in my cows/heifers/calves? Doesn't the "hole" look kind of funny?
Thanks for clarifying...I certainly don't want to look like the village idiot but at county we just leave them in...
You're probably not going to be the only one with tags in, so you don't have to take them out. Just make sure they are clean before you show........If you do remove them, then the hole probably won't be noticeable or a big deal as most claves are tagged at birth even if the tag is removed at a later time. Anyways, we leave the ears fuzzy on our heifers, and you really can't see the tag holes...

Anyways, we leave the ears fuzzy on our heifers

Any reason for this other than to hide tag holes?

Ears and sheath are the only areas that we are allowed to clip in the hereford breed here.

I personally think it makes them look a little more feminine and natural....not sure why, maybe makes the head look smaller?..... it's also a pain to clip ears, so most people choose not to, though some do

Interesting how rules differ from country to country.
Here in NZ all cattle must have two tags which must have the herd number from the herd in which they were born, plus a unique animal number and the primary tag must also have a barcoded herd number and it must be yellow! The secondary tag can be any colour, even a button, but it must have the herd number also. We choose to colour code the secondary tag to the year of birth, plus leave it blank under the herd number and write in the sire/dam and year of birth. They can be any size. The tags MUST be present for any trucking or sale and when they go to the abbatoir. These rules are enforced by the Animal Health Board and are are to comply with TB regulations and testing.

Therefore all cattle going to shows must have their legal TB tags-so no whipping them in and out. They also are accompanied with a trucking document which states their number and last TB test details. Not quite at cattle passports like UK-but it could be looming-as well as electronic tags.

These rules refer to all cattle, dairy, beef, crossbred or pure bred.

Latest posts