Tag removal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Goo Gone works. Just pull off as much of the paper part of the tag as you can and soak the spot with the Goo Gone. I put some on a rag to get the last bit of the glue off after all the paper comes off. Aprille

denvermartinfarms":2agk9h4b said:
Anyone know a good way to remove back tags and glue in a 5 day period?

Use a utility knife to shave the hair as close to tag/glue as possible. Tag and glue gone and most of hair left. Works best with longer winter hair. Have used liquid wrench and wd-40 on glue. Kind of slow but finally softens glue where a curry comb will brush it out. When have load going to the big sale a couple of weeks ahead, where they don't tag, will some times buy the single 900#+ heifer or steer locally. Put them on the truck because even as singles they will usually bring 15-20 cents more up there if no tag spots. Learned that using the utility knife was the best for that situation, especially if plenty of hair.

I've only turned cattle that fast a couple of times once at buffalo and once at Springfield both times I just had the them put the new tags on the glue spots.

kenny thomas":vdb20ayx said:
ibetyamissedme":vdb20ayx said:

Sure we are and neither of us try to hide it. But we do take very good care of them in the short time we own them.
You bet I take good care of them, I just built a new pen to hold my traders. I have a good supply of hay, feed, salt mix and all the good medicines. Everything I buy and turn leaves in better shape than when I bought it.

W-D 40 and a curry comb. Take your time and don't yank tag. Let the W-D 40 break the glue down.

As to the statement about "jockeys", best I can tell the man who bought the cattle to trade on was the last one with his hand in the air.

BC":2dslv1s0 said:
W-D 40 and a curry comb. Take your time and don't yank tag. Let the W-D 40 break the glue down.

As to the statement about "jockeys", best I can tell the man who bought the cattle to trade on was the last one with his hand in the air.
I agree about the "jockey" deal, we've been all over and around that subject recently, but the fact is if it weren't for us some sales would go out of business, because they would have no market at all.

Jockey is one step above the paper trader, they have no interest in the quality of the product they are trading or the final price the commodity brings, they're only interested in the money they make in between buying and selling the product. The only positive of a jockey over a paper trader is they take possession of the commodity for a short period of time.

MWilliams":3lex7pyh said:
I thought the idea of buying, selling and raising cattle was to make money? If not my plans are all wrong.
No your right, some folks here think it's a a sin or a fedarel crime to buy and re sell cattle in a short period of time. They think it gives the cattle some kind of horrible disease :roll:

ibetyamissedme":2504ktke said:
Jockey is one step above the paper trader, they have no interest in the quality of the product they are trading or the final price the commodity brings, they're only interested in the money they make in between buying and selling the product. The only positive of a jockey over a paper trader is they take possession of the commodity for a short period of time.

Well I have thought I would not argue with you so I will try not to. How many days do I have to keep an animal before it is not a trade. Sometimes I keep them a week, a month, or until I feel the market is right to resell them. Sometimes it is the next day. Are you a trader if you sell anything before it is slaughter ready?

kenny thomas":367hgh8d said:
ibetyamissedme":367hgh8d said:

Well I have thought I would not argue with you so I will try not to. How many days do I have to keep an animal before it is not a trade. Sometimes I keep them a week, a month, or until I feel the market is right to resell them. Sometimes it is the next day. Are you a trader if you sell anything before it is slaughter ready?
Excellent points Kenny, if people want something to gripe about and use to put others down, they will always find something. Seems none if them see were taking as much risk as anyone by buying and holding them for possibly making a small profit.

kenny thomas":1woez6la said:
Kenny jockeys have no concern about quality of cattle they are buying and selling, they only care about making a profit above what they paid. If jockeys are not ashamed of what they are doing, they need not worry about tag removal, sell it for what it is a salebarn return.

It's funny to me how people see trading as about the worst thing one can do. And then see how many people think selling cattle for cash or to a pen hooker is ok so they can cheat the government on the deal because it was done in cash.

I don't like taxes or are current government or what they spend tax dollars on. Still alot of people see dealing under the table in cash a good thing, and see it as a bad thing that someone is going out helping the market by bidding and buying cattle, taking a risk by owning them, and possibly taking a bath on the deal and losing money, just for the small profits that can be made on trading.

Hiding income from the government is lying, cheating and stealing. When I buy cattle and sell them I am not lying, cheating or stealing.

Latest posts