Synchronization mistake

Help Support CattleToday:

bpwagner115

Reaction score
Put in 50 cidrs on Thursday and gave them shots of lutalyse. Genex website says I can inject gnrh and use that date as new starting point. Any other suggestions? I just figured it out about 5min ago and I'm sick to my stomach. :bang:

I think if they were mine id run them back through pull the cidrs patch them breed what comes in clean the cidrs and start again next thursday and that may only work if you do your own a i work and that just makes sense in my mind it may not be the right thing at all.

bse":2e005gpb said:
I think if they were mine id run them back through pull the cidrs patch them breed what comes in clean the cidrs and start again next thursday and that may only work if you do your own a i work and that just makes sense in my mind it may not be the right thing at all.

I agree, sound plan and you may end up getting half or more bred off the one shot of lute. You can save the cidrs you don't have to use next week til next year!

I think I'd leave them in an extra two days and then proceed as if nothing had gone wrong. For heifers the results should be really similar. I would try to AI on observed heats after that but I try to do that under perfect conditions anyway. :D
I think leaving them in would yield a lot more pregnancies on TAI than pulling them now would.

What cp said. Bet you won't notice much difference - the GnRH you give at CIDR insertion is mainly to luteinize any that might have been in heat in the 2-3 days before you put 'em in.
Guess you could have run 'em back through and hit 'em with GnRH, but may not really even be necessary.

Were you doing a 5- or 7-day protocol? I know there are some 14-day CIDR protocols out there, but my therio buddy says that after 9 days, the oocytes 'age', and viability is diminished.
We used to do a 7, but switched to 5 a year or two ago; requires an extra trip through the chute, 'cause you give two shots of prostaglandin(we use Estrumate) 8-12 hrs apart, after puling CIDRS.
Prefer to breed on observed heats. Rarely do timed AI here - if they don't show in the prescribed timeframe, they usually just go out to the bull; especially in the Spring season - just gets too hot to keep trying to AI cows once you get into June, and forget July...

We were doing 7day protocol. We gave gnrh yesterday morning and will pull cidrs next Saturday. Puts us a couple days behind and messes with our schedule, but hopefully won't have a negative effect on the number of cows synchronized.....

We are pulling cidrs this morning but forecast shows rain for the entire day and tomorrow also. Anyone ever put estrotect patches on while dealing with wet cattle?

Take a towel and wipe them dry. You might also want to use some spray adhesive as well. They will stick if you get them dry and clean.

Spray adhesive worked well. One last question...I noticed there was a distinct difference in color of the semen with the Simmental bull we used. It was pretty much white, while the other 4 bulls we a.i.'d with looked a little clearer and darker. Just wondering if anyone has seen or used semen that has looked almost entirely white?

the color varies with the type of extender used milk egg yolks or whatever.
how did your response turn out?

Estrus response at 40 hours was about 10 percent. At 55 hours response had to be close to 80 percent. They were going NUTS. First experience with cidrs and I'm definitely impressed how close it synced the group. Keeping calm for now though to see how our conception turns out.

bpwagner115":3jegrr1p said:
At 55 hours response had to be close to 80 percent. They were going NUTS. First experience with cidrs and I'm definitely impressed how close it synced the group. Keeping calm for now though to see how our conception turns out.

What is a typical bred % using cidrs?

Steve,
Clean up with water - no soap/detergent, as it will remove some of the progesterone - then dip in a disinfectant solution, like chlorhexidine(Nolvasan), dry, and store in a cool dry place.
I have access to an autoclave, so I sterilize mine by autoclaving, and understand from the repro gurus that autoclaving actually helps bring more progesterone to the surface.
We re-use CIDRs one time, then discard them.

Saw a paper a year or two back where they were using OB lube with chlorhexidine in it - Nolvalube or a homemade equivalent - to lubricate the CIDR and insertion gun, and had less vaginal discharge and slightly higher pregnancy rates compared to CIDRS inserted with lube not containing the disinfectant.

Stocker Steve":1qjq3mcq said:
bpwagner115":1qjq3mcq said:
At 55 hours response had to be close to 80 percent. They were going NUTS. First experience with cidrs and I'm definitely impressed how close it synced the group. Keeping calm for now though to see how our conception turns out.

What is a typical bred % using cidrs?

55-60%

Lucky_P":28wzj5z6 said:
Steve,
Clean up with water - no soap/detergent, as it will remove some of the progesterone - then dip in a disinfectant solution, like chlorhexidine(Nolvasan), dry, and store in a cool dry place.
I have access to an autoclave, so I sterilize mine by autoclaving, and understand from the repro gurus that autoclaving actually helps bring more progesterone to the surface.
We re-use CIDRs one time, then discard them.

Saw a paper a year or two back where they were using OB lube with chlorhexidine in it - Nolvalube or a homemade equivalent - to lubricate the CIDR and insertion gun, and had less vaginal discharge and slightly higher pregnancy rates compared to CIDRS inserted with lube not containing the disinfectant.

Question for Lucky or any others: We have a heifer (actually one of our buddy's but runs with ours; she failed to take on the first 2 timed AI's (ugh). She's registered and a nice heifer, so he's gonna give her one more chance. (If it were me, if I was gonna give her a final try it would be with a bull. She was def in heat last time; AI tech said he has a good-size forearm and once in a while can have a bit of trouble with a first-timer due to mechanics. So I'm guessing maybe trying with a bull might be a better option. But, not my call).

At any rate, this will be our first time actually inserting the CIDR ourselves. Have observed it done now, helped vet a bit, removed them all last round, watched insertion videos etc but a couple of hygiene questions: Do we need to re-clean or use disinfectant on the inserter first (it was cleaned off last time by vet and has been inside since)? Also, I'm confused about the note above. I know we need to put lube on for the insertion (looking at OB Lube by AgriLabs; does KY jelly or vaseline work in a pinch? Was thinking vaseline is too viscous). But do you mean we should use lube having a disinfectant as part of the insertion, along with the lube? (It looked like your no-soap point was directed to the instance where you want to re-use the CIDRs a second time, which we don't plan to do, at least for now).

Thanks!

*UPDATE*

After botching the synchronization protocol last summer the results are in....We have calved 26 out of a possible 50 cows bred fixed time a.i. using
Select Synch +CIDR TAI protocol

This is what happened:

Day 0-CIDR insert and shot of PG.
Day 2-Realize gave wrong shot.
Day 3- Give shot of GNRH
Day 10- Pull CIDR, give shot of PG.
Day 13- Breed

Thank you ABS Wesbite FAQ

http://absbeef.wordpress.com/2013/03/19 ... ns-part-1/